14600: Kaya the Reaper or "The Whole World's Gone Blonde!"

Kharsin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've done a wonderful job. The hair, face, leather, fur boots, and weapon all look great.

Looking forward to see what you add to that larger base.

As for the background, I don't care for the green background with this mini.

You're setting a winter scene, and while many places still have a lot of greenery in the winter it's not usually quite as bright a green as in that backdrop. The first background you used is the better choice I believe, especially as your mini and base look more like they're from a barren tundra than anything else.

Really like what you've done with this mini though.

• Like 4

Wonderful, smoooooooooth work in the skintones, leathers and blonds. Really, really nice work there. There's also something about the colour composition in the whole piece, I can't tell you what it is exactly, but it is very pleasing to the eye; sublime in fact. Possibly the hint of gold in the skin and hair? Lots of energy and warmth but still naturalistic... anyway, it's delightful.

• Like 4

Kharsin - She turned out beautifully and a piece to be proud of for sure. All the work that you put into her during your WIP shows. I like the tattoo and it turned out great and suits the mini very well. I love your color selection the purple and teal always works well together. The leather and fur also looks great with so much depth.

My favorite part of the entire mini is her spear. The woodgrain turned out great and the tips look like stone.

Now for a few tips, feel free to skip over or ignore but since you plan on entering her I wanted to offer.

Snow can be hard and overall it looks good for a first. The main think that sticks out to me is how she doesn't seem to have any snow on her, especially her fur boots. Even if it is old snow it would stick all over that fur especially if she has been traveling through it. For some added effect to the rock if the snow had melted off where she is standing there could be some icicles on the underside where snow melted and refroze maybe? 

I like the hair and she sure does have a luxuriously mane of it doesn't she, some high spots in her hair would really set off the mini, where sun would reflect on the blonde, especially with all those braids. It looks good as is but I think you could easily take her hair up a step to really bring focus to her head. Right now my eye is drawn more to her fur than her hair.

But again she looks great and it was awesome to be able to see your WIP and how it led you to her finish. I can't wait to see how much you improve on your next one.

• Like 5

Kharsin,

I think she is great. Like most replies, I think the leather is great. I find it hard myself to get leather and skin tones to look different on the same model. You have done so, and very we'll. She has a nice pale "we don't get much sun in the tundra" skin tone that balances well with the rich oiled leather look. Write off the tattoo as "tribal band" and be done with it. It looks like a nice tribal band. It's not the worst snow base, but I can see it gave you some difficulty.

I think you've done a wonderful job. The hair, face, leather, fur boots, and weapon all look great.

Looking forward to see what you add to that larger base.

As for the background, I don't care for the green background with this mini.

You're setting a winter scene, and while many places still have a lot of greenery in the winter it's not usually quite as bright a green as in that backdrop. The first background you used is the better choice I believe, especially as your mini and base look more like they're from a barren tundra than anything else.

Really like what you've done with this mini though.

I agree with Darsc thematically, but for some reason the pictures came alive from a light standpoint with the greener background, so don't write it off completely.

Overall, fantastic work. She really tells a story.

Edited by Darcstaar
  • Like 2

Awww! You guys are too kind! I did have a lot of fun with Kaya, and I hope to push it more in the future. I'm not sure if I'll ever be doing another snow base or not... I was kind of forced to due to the nature of her furs and such. Hmmm...

I've debated whether to go back and add snow to her or not, as well as ice cycles or not. The reasons I haven't are more practical rather than oversiteful. I may just go back and do them anyway. The reason for not is that she's occasionally to be used for a game piece, although I probably put too much work into her for her to be used that way. From what I understand, the common procedure for adding snow to a mini is to use either baking soda or artificial snow mixed with matte medium to spot on snowflakes and such. I've also heard that this is more for display pieces as the flakes tend to "flake off" when handled. The same would be true for the ice cycles as well. 

WITH that said, I still may do so on the finished piece. I really want to add ice cycles on the bottom of that rock, and snow flakes on Kaya's boots and legs! LOL! 

Again, thank you all for the kind comments and suggestions! I've got a few projects to get behind me before working on the rest of the diorama, but I'll probably post a few pics while I'm working on it.

Thank you for reading!

-K

• Like 2