gwangi32

Swords against Chaos

Beginning: I am using Warhammer Fantasy Role Play published by Hogshead Publishing in 1995, with some supplemental information from Death on the Reik which was published by Hogshead in 1996. Both of these books were originally copyrighted by Games Workshop.

“The rivers of the Empire are the best ways to travel,” says Captain Frochmen to noone in particular. His medium sized river trader, a forty foot single masted vessel called the WINDSONG is common to the river and a pleasant well kept vessel. She had been an answered prayer to each of the passengers. Plague had come to Nuln, where each of the passengers had been for reasons of their own and this vessel was going to Altdorf. There are three crew, the Captain and his teenage son.

Then there are the passengers: A hunter driven from familiar haunts to look for allies in combating a goblin incursion, a Trollslayer who thinks killing greenies might be a fitting doom. These two have goblin killing to talk of whereas the other three passengers are whispering about treasure. An older man with a friendly air about him, a striking woman in mercenary garb with an angry look, and a younger woman who is obviously on her first trip away from the big city. A final passenger is rarely seen. She has taken the only available cabin on the vessel and rumor has it she is a noblewoman on her way home to the next stopping port, Averswald.

“We’re only and hour out from Averswald, Sir Cainest,” says the Captain. This time addressing the older man.

“Wonderful Captain,” this man replies, “But call me Alber, I’m no knight to need special titles.”

“I’ll call any man sir as what pays in gold coin, Alber,” shoots back the Captain with a laugh.

Alber and his two companions begin making ready to leave when the lookout calls “Ship dead ahead, bearing right for us Captain!”

Cursing a proverbial blue streak the Captain lays the vessel hard to port, attempting to avoid collision. The vessel bearing down on the WINDSONG has a boisterous group of young louts laughing at their joke of attempting to ram. This second vessel is called the VALOR OF AVERSWALD and has all the ostentatious elegance of a nobleman’s yacht. The noblemen aren’t laughing when the VALOR clips the aft section of the WINDSONG.

Captain Frochmen ignores the indignant cries that he come about and pay damages on the VALOR. “(Expletive) drunken noble swine, they’ve damaged my steering. Karl, Fran get the steering sweep out. We’ll have to put in to Frakstien instead.” Still mumbling curses he puts out the steering sweep. This maintains position in the current more than it allows for reasonable steering.

“Unfortunately, we will be in Frakstein for a week while I make repairs. I will offer refund for those going further down river or ferry passage to Averswald. Or you can wait and I will continue on to Altdorf as soon as I have made repairs.”

The characters had passage to Altdorf paid. Refund amount is two gold coins. There are opportunities in Frakstien or Averswald to get help with goblins or there may be other problems to look into as Frakstien is a city of over 2000 people. We are stretching our wings here and waiting for a couple more to join in.

Otto will take his canoe, which had been tied alongside the ship, and go ashore to supliment the shipboard diet with some fresh game. He invites anyone wanting to "stretch their landlegs" to join him. He plans to set two snares, leave them and hunt a deer with his crossbow.

Hollin is an elf, first of all. He has the height, the sure eye and stable hand, and the long ears from either side of his head that seem to move with his mood. He is dressed all in brown leathers with a floppy broad brimmed hat, much like many carrige drivers wear, which keeps his ears widely set below the brim. He wears a long drover's coat, (a duster) also made of leather and carries an unstrung bow over one shoulder, while a quivver full of arrows hangs from his belt, just behind the sword he wears at his hip.

He smiles at Otto's bold proposal, and shrugs a little with a charming smile, and nods. "Well, if you're going into the woods, you might want me to come with you, friend. To keep you safe from the boggles, of course." He takes the bow from it's case over his shoulder and strings it with practiced ease and follows the human into the woods.

Ragnar, eyeing the distant Valor of Averswald with obvious hatred and fingering the blade of his two handed axe, realises he doesn't want to swim that far and turns to Otto. "I'll come with ya too, laddie. You'll need some real protection if you run across anything bigger'n a fieldmouse." With that, he shoulders his axe and climbs into the canoe.

Hollin glances at the dwarf and pulls a curchief up around his mouth to hide a smirk at the man's blatent hatred. He nods then and speaks behind the rough mask, "Your help will be most appriciated, My friends, it seems we will be stuck here together for some time, Allow me to introduce myself, I am Hollin of Loren, a simple elf, exploreing the world and that which inhabits it."

He offers a short bow to both men and waits for their reply.

"I am Otto Johansen, of the Reikwald. Grab a paddle and we'll be ashore in no time. I plan to set a couple of snares, and one larger trap. Perhaps we can flavor that dull cabbage soup the captain is feeding us.....Your accent is not familiar, Master Elf, are you from outside the Empire?"

Hollin very nearly laughs out loud at Ragnar's words, and nods, "I'm sure you do it very well... ...A pleasure to meet you both. AS you say, Master Johannson, I will take an ore. "

"When we get ashore, we'll hide the canoe under some foliage."(Oto will mark a nearby tree with a secret Woodsman Sign, but doesn't mention this outloud.)

"I'll move downstream a bit, and set my traps near the water...might catch something trying to get a drink. You two stay back, so the animals will not pick up your scent...then we can hunt some larger game."

"Beg pardon sirs," says the Captain as you prepare to enter the canoe, "but would it be a problem to allow me to borrow your canoe after you have put ashore. With two of my crew we can add just a little to the steerage and better yet tie up more safely in Frakstein." Already the small skiff used for emergencies is tied off and "towing" at the bow of the WINDSONG with one crewman at the oars.

"We'll tie her off at the dock and wait for you all to come and claim your baggage. Frakstein is only and hour away, down stream from here," says the captain with a gesture indicating the direction. He patiently waits with his two crewmen, his son struggling with the steering sweep.

Ragnar looks at the captain and says harshly, "Watch who yer callin' 'sir', goblin breath!"

To Otto, he says "Better let 'im borry it lad, if it'll get us to Altdorf quicker. I'll hunt 'im down for ya if he runs off with it."

Once again, Hollin seems to find the dwarf's displeasure more then a touch amuseing, and so he nods to the captain. "Oh, we would never think of such a thing good sir."

"Make sure you secure my spare belongings onboard. We'll be along as soon as we've gathered some game."Otto looks at Ragnar. "I can not speak for Elf Hollin, but it might do you and I some good to stretch our legs."

And so (insert a dice roll or two) there are three travellers on the shore of the Reik in the territories of the Vargyr Balt, the Count of Drakenbek. Your location is defined as Point Fishhawk by the river savvy. The Drakenbek Manor is isolated from the significant towns of the county. You will pass it on your way to Frakstein.

The Captain of the WINDSONG tells you emphatically to circle out to the road when you are across from a large island in the river. "That would be Flelkirk Island," he had said with a wink, "They make a living fishing and moving goods without wanting to pay the Emporer's taxes. At least that's the word. So strangers in that area are grabbed by imperial patrols or smugglers and neither one is a good choice." Wishing you good journey he promises to meet you at the upper pier in Frakstien."

There are obvious trails, used by humans up from the river. Your options are to follow the trails, lay out traps or cut into the forest.