Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

Swords against Chaos

"There seemed to be a great many of them," mumbles Captain Fidelien "And our posts are Emporer's business, we are nor armed for war." He doesn't seem insulted by the slight offered by Ragnar

"It were like thus sire dwarfness," says one of the soldiers, "We wus ridin' along peaceful and then they was clawin and growlin and stinkin and some sorceror back there screamin evil. It were terrible and we did the honest thing and fled."

With that the three horsemen pull up in the middle of the road. "We will fight from here, where the footing is safest for our horses," says Fidelien. Continuing with "I believe that the attack will focus on us. If you will hit these creatures hard from the flank we should defeat them in short order. They are numerous but here we can see the enemy and they seemed very slow."

Ragnar At this point you can see some figures rapidly approaching under the trees but near the road. A vague stink comes to you reminding you of the catacomb tombs you have visitied in your life among your kin. The smell of death and decay. Further away are shambling figures. Zombies and what?

Otto The halfling calls down to you "Hey hunter, it would be better for us long range types to be up here," he gestures to the wagon top. You look and see that there is room and the vantage would be good for crossbow fire. At that moment you see both the musician and the dancer have put on heavy cloth tunics and are carrying shields and clubs. They are standing with their backs to the wagon, the halfling offering covering fire and apparently prepared to rush in as Fidelien suggested.

Hans Krenler And you are as I described in the PM

"I don't care where ya fight from, as long as ya stay outta my way.", growls Ragnar. "The sorcerer is mine!" With that, he turns toward the attackers. "COME AND MEET SWEET DEATH, YOU ROTTING BASTARDS, COME TASTE DWARVEN STEEL!", he yells as he charges into the zombies.

The undead horde arrives. Led by a pack of ghouls these creatures charge the horsemen. There is the silvery flash of sabers and the sound of cleavers striking meat. Then screams of pain and fear. Only Ragnar could make out what's happening in that swirl of hooves, sabers and claws.

Ragnar is up to his eyebrows in zombies. Rushing forward he has smashed two of the shambling animated corpses back into the grave. In return he has received a wound on the leg from a rusted farm implement wielded by one of the undead.

Crossbow bolts have killed another zombie as it shambled toward the horsemen.

The two entertainers are rushing to the aid of the horsemen, slowed perhaps by fear of these horrible opponents. There seems to be six or seven ghouls and more than 15 zombies. The noise of the ghouls and the horsemen is distracting but there may be someone chanting in the darkness behind the zombies.

AsideThe first couple battle rounds are complete. Ragnar is engaged in battle with four zombies. There are targets for the crossbows. Zombies move slow so your reloads are timely in this battle. Please post any adjustments you wish to make.

Ragnar is screaming unintelligible things in dwarvish as he hacks his way toward the chanting figure. His axe is a blur of motion as it severs arms, legs and heads. The only words anybody can make out are 'kill', 'wizard', and 'mighty doom'.

The skirmish continues with Ragnar dismembering three more zombies, but receiving a clout to the head from a club, it is fortunate that a Trollslayer's head is not their most vulnerable target.

There is a sickly greenish glow emanating from behind the remaining zombies. It outllines a figure with wild hair and a gnarled staff of bones. Otto can make out the figure and counts only five zombies remaining. He and the halfling have accounted for a few and Ragnar's charge has piled up the rest. The zombies were unable to attack the horsemen.

The ghouls have torn one rider from the saddle, but without the aid of the zombies the ghouls are losing their battle with the remaining horsemen and the entertainers.

Aside There is one more option for all characters, even Hans Krenler. That is one action please. Please note that I am on detached duty currently and will do my best to post at least weekly.

Ragnar feels the club bash into his head and bellows in rage. "I'm gonna cut yer stinkin' heart out, wizard!" he cries as he charges the glowing, wild-haired figure.

The necromancer has made an obvious target of himself. As Otto and Ragnar try to attack this prime target a shadowy figure looms up behind the evil wizard. The vile chanting is cut off by a death scream. A human has killed the necromancer. Within moments th remaining few zombies have slumped back into death's embrace. The ghouls flee.

It appears that the battle is over. One of the horsemen has been wounded, and he is brought to the camp fire by the entertainers while Captain Fidelien and his remaining soldier ride toward the newcomer.

"Well met," calls out the Captain to the shadowy figure on the road.

Please describe your actions at this point

"You bastard!!", Ragnar shouts at the human. "You've robbed me of my mighty doom! I would know yer name afore I cut yer bleedin' heart out!" He advances on the figure, axe at the ready.

While Ragnar blusters and Captain Fidelien trys to speak with the shadowy figure, the other participants of the battle gather by the fire. Glancing at the silent figure who has not yet said anything the wounded horseman, the unwounded horseman and the entertainers begin checking and cleaning wounds.

"The walking dead are vile. Filled with nasty sickness." says the halfling. The others nod but are obviously still shaken by the combat. The halfling passes abound a bottle of very fine brandy, pulled from hiding somewhere in the wagon.

Aside We are waiting for Decado to introduce his character. However, there are other opportunities for action.

Ragnar continues to shout as he advances on the figure. "Hey, goblinlover! I'm talkin' to you! Tell me yer name and prepare yerself fer whatever god you hold dear!"

Otto grabs a brand from the fire and sets fire to the rags of one of the zombies... "Help me pile them and burn them. I don't want to have to defeat them again..."