Sign in to follow this  
gwangi32

Swords against Chaos

The distasteful job of burning the undead and the ghouls takes about a half an hour. The mysterious benefactor has fled into the darkness. Having slain the necromancer he seems to have been put off by the dwarf's approach.

Everyone who has been wounded has had treatment (save for Ragnar who growled at the thought of treatment for his little scratches).

The fire is built up and it doesn't look as if anyone wants to sleep. But as the adrenaline wears off the and the brandy takes affect heads begin to droop.

Captain Fidelien, "I suggest we set a watch for the remainder of the evening. I will go first. Though before anyone goes to sleep we should look at the body of the wizard."

At the captain's suggestion, Ragnar walks over to the dead wizard, grabs it by the legs, and drags it to the fire. "Look all ya want, I'm gettin' some sleep," he says. Then he sits cross-legged against a tree and falls to sleep with his axe across his knees.

Captain Fidelien gives a momentary look of frustration at Ragnar. He first walks out to the original location of the wizard's body. Using a lit bullseye lantern (brought from his saddle bags) he begins to search the ground and begins following the trail of blood left behind as Ragnar dragged the corpse toward the fire. The unwounded road warden walks with the Captain, a small crossbow in hand, keeping alert for further trouble.

All of the others glare at the corpse of the necromancer now so close to where they were planning to sleep.

"Perhaps we should burn that carrion as well," suggests the Halfling.

"Soon enough, let me search the body first," replies Captain Fidelien. He is engrossed in his tracking and will be a few moments getting to the body.

Otto You have an opportunity to act prior to my next posting, Ragnar is snoring gently.

Otto looks at Ragnar and the others...."I want to find your new friend, the 'goblin-

lover'. I won't be long..."He leaves in the direction in which the stranger fled, trying to find signs in the dark.

Otto Your unknown benefactor has disappeared back down the road. You might be able to track him (?) in the morning. As you are looking around you here a gasp of surprise from Captain Fidelien. He is holding a scrap of parchment, staring horrified at what seems to be written on it. Near the body of the necromancer, is a small pile of items scavenged from the battle and from his clothes. No one else seems to have noticed the Captain's reaction as they are talking or sipping brandy, with the exception of Ragnar.

Ragnar You have begun to gently snore as you dream of an Inn that sells variants of Bugman's Ales.

The group soon sets up watches and all but Otto, the Captain and the Halfling are nodding off to sleep.

Otto quietly approaches the Captain. "I cannot pick up a track in this darkness... What have you found that drew such a reaction?"

Captain Fidelian appears very shaken. He looks at Otto without seeming to see Otto. A look of horror is on his face.

"I was the target of the attack by those things..." he gestures at the pile of burning corpses. "Somewhere ... a she fiend, a vampire saw me. And she has marked me for a victim." Fidelian drops the parchment, hand going to the hilt of his sword.

Otto looks down at the parchment and notices that it is begining to smoke, then it bursts into flames leaving behind a sulferous stench. Cruel, sweet laughter rings out from the trees.

"I shall have you my sweet little mortal, or shall I say morsel," says a seductive female voice. "But not yet, enjoy another day or two of freedom. But, feel your fear deeply, it is my favorite spice."

aside While the speaking is happening there may be something you would like to try, let me know.over

Fidelian gathers his wits and courage. "Curse you, whatever you are! I'll have none of it, I will not be your victim!"

"Ah my little puppet, you will come to me in the end, I hold all that you desire in the deep, dark places in your soul. I can fulfill your lusts and your longings. Maybe tomorrow we shall meet, maybe later tonight. You and your companions are toys that I want to enjoy."

Otto points his crossbow in general direction from which the voice is speaking. He pulls the trigger and a bolt snaps off into the forest.

The voice stops for a moment. The moment drags out. Everyone but Ragnar has been brought back to wakefulness by the voice in the woods. Ragnars snores hide any cracklings from the forest and suddenly the bolt is back. Shot or thrown it sinks into the door of the wagon.

No one moves. The halfling kicks the trollslayer. "Your great doom may be near and you're sleeping through it," he says.

All eyes are out, away from the camp. The bolt has a paper tied to it.

"Someone get that quarrel and bring it to me," says Captain Fidellian.

Ragnar is awake and on his feet as soon as the halfling's foot makes contact. "Why're ya kickin' me, Shorty? What's wrong?" He demands while bringing his axe to the ready. "Beastmen? More undead? Giants? What?"

Otto looks at Ragnar, and shakes his head. "Apparently, the good captain has brought himself to the atention of a vampire.....not that I'd expect that to be of any interest to you........." With that, Otto prepares himself to follow the dwarven maniac wherever the chase may lead.......

Ragnar rounds on the captain. "Why didn'tchya say you was bein' chased by a vampire when ya rode up? Woulda give me somethin' ta look forward to." He looks around, scanning each tree as if it were a bark covered vampire. He tilts his head back and roars "Come on out, bloodsucker!! I'll enjoy crushin' yer undead skull under my foot!!"

The silence stretches for a time and then the vampires voice comes from a new segment of the forest.

"Your time will come little toad with the funny hair and some sad regret drawing you into a lonely grave. Keep a civil tongue in your head for now." After a short pause she continues, having again moved, "I say farewell my little morsel, I shall find you when there is less company to disturb our tryst."

ASIDE There has been about ten minutes of game time for your characters to take some actions. The default has been to wait but many other possibilities exist.

"Toad!?! Toad!?!" Ragnar roars with anger. "Come out, ya cowardly piece o' troll dung! Come and face me! If I have to, I'll burn this whole forest down to find ya!" He stalks off in the last direction the voice came from. "I'll wear yer teeth around my wrist fer a bracelet!"

Ragnar makes a noisy progress through the nearby forest. He does not meet anything, doing little more than startling some forest animals. But, he has broken the spell of fear that seemed to lay on everyone while the vampire was speaking.

The halfling turns to Captain Fidelian, "We'll be wanting our pay sir. I believe that we'll be moving on." The late hours of the night are past and it is less than two hours to daybreak.

Absently the Captain counts coins into the hands of the entertainers. They then begin packing up.

Ragnar There is only a vague scent of decay and carrion at one portion of your search, near a rotting oak. You are sure it has something to do with the undead. Otherwise, nothing happens.

Captain Fidelian says, "Otto, I would like to hire your services. Not just for the trip to Frakstein, but well let us talk in the sunlight."

Ragnar looks around thoroughly, memorizing the spot where he smells the decay before returning to the camp. "Why's ever'body leavin'? It's only a rotten, stinkin', bloodsuckin' vampire."