Terrain size for CAV?

Chriskirby

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could also get the paper terrain (buildings and streets) from Hawk Wargames as their wargame (DropZone Commander) is the same scale as CAV. You could buy them preprinted, or download and print them yourself.

I'm not sure if they still have them or not (haven't been to their website a lot lately), but Dream Pod 9 had some free paper craft buildings for Heavy Gear that should be close enough (1/144 instead of CAVs 1/180).

• Like 1

N Gauge buildings (Kato Dio Town) is one I use (when I can get them cheap enough).

DZC buildings Paper or Resin are perfect (the latter are really still made of gold however and will put significant holes in your wallet), there are also some options for nice flat-pack MDF 10m terrain buildings appearing on eBay, these often are found with complete and collapsed forms..

Edited by madcat

If I was going to buy some terrain buildings, what size fits with the CAV miniatures? The few pieces I've made work for 40k size miniature, but that won't work for BIG STOMPY ROBOTS.

You could go to a Train Hobby Store and check out the N-Scale buildings... or on line.

I've had some good results making very cheap buildings out of stiff card and a 1/4" diagonal hole punch.  The card is about 3x2 and costs something like 4 bucks a sheet, the hole punch is about 6 bucks.  It's kind of tedious work, and it's very, very easy to break the hole punch (I've gone through 4 so far), but your cost per building is negligible.  

The bases are also made of thick card.  From start to finish each one takes about 15-30 minutes, not counting drying time.  

The suburban blocks take a lot longer - so much longer that I intend to sacrifice my normal commitment to visual verisimilitude and just make bigger city buildings. 

6-10mmterrain.jpg

• Like 3

If I was going to buy some terrain buildings, what size fits with the CAV miniatures? The few pieces I've made work for 40k size miniature, but that won't work for BIG STOMPY ROBOTS.

You could go to a Train Hobby Store and check out the N-Scale buildings... or on line.

The problem with 99% of the train-related stuff is that it all looks out of place in a 23rd century scifi setting.

• Like 2

Seconding the Dropzone Commander suggestion, especially since you were asking about buying specifically and not making it yourself.  Retail is $45 (cheaper online) and it covers a 6x4 foot space, and it's 10mm scale.  Comes in two styles -- ruins and, er, "non-ruined."  Really, for the amount of terrain and ease of use, you won't find anything better at its price point (and they look really good too!).

• Like 4