Terrain size for CAV?

Chriskirby

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dropzone commander buildings are a good value for what comes in the box. Saw Tomix (I think) on clearance at TRU. If you have a Hobby Lobby near you check out if they have the model railroad stuff. I saw some Model Power stuff there cheap in N scale and they at one time made an entire 'military' line of buildings in kit and prebuilt form.

• Like 1

So what are the most convincingly futuristic urban buildings  that people have seen?  Either bought or scratch built would be fine.

The Dropzone Commander stuff seems like a super value but on the other hand, if someone asked me if they could use it for their Korean War 10mm historical game, I wouldn't exactly say it's not possible.

I guess the real tricky bit is making the buildings have that impractical aspect that implies that the builder isn't constrained by current technology but yet have it be practical for CAVs to be stomping around properly.

I picked up a couple N Scale containers for use in CAV games. I think that they will work nicely. Especially since thay are magnatised so they will stay together easier but can still be adapted for each game. I just need to get more... 

Heres a pic of them with my metal Gnomic and metal Despots...

1112141934_zpseoggosur.jpg

• Like 3

For my 10mm stuff -or whatever CAV is calling itself these days- I would suggest "Proxie Models" (yes, it's spelled that way). They make wall sets without roofs or window fillers, so you have to do a bit of work, but they're polystyrene and easy to work with and they're dirt cheap. Also, you'd be supporting a dude that literally runs an injection molding operation out of his barn!

They have a 2 story warehouse/office building that is supposedly 15mm, but works great for 10mm when you subdivide the doorways.  
464819_md-10mm,%2015mm,%20Plastic%20Buil

They also make a set of gothic building walls in 10mm.464816_md-10mm,%2015mm,%20Plastic%20Buil

More pics and my review/thoughts here:

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2013/02/new-plastic-buildings-from-proxie-models.html

Edited by Eilif
  • Like 3

I've started making some hills out of 1/4 inch foam board, stacking 3 of the same shape for the 3/4 inch levels.  My next question is, how tall does a hill need to be to provide cover for a CAV? It was mentioned by CAVBOSS that they are three levels tall so would I need to make the hills that tall in places?

Would it be better to make hills that go straight up 2 1/4 inches or where each of the levels are smaller than the one below it?

|`````````|

|           |

|           |

Vs.

|````|

|````     `````|           |``````|

|````                ``````````        `````|

Game scale is 1 inch equals 15 feet. That would make a one story on building 3/4 of an inch (10 feet).

Three quarters of 15 is not 10...   :huh:

With a game scale of 1 inch = 15 feet........  2/3rds of an inch is ten feet.

One elevation level is 10 feet (3/4") a cav is 3 elevations tall. One of the reasons i went with the current scale is its great for terrain building. Lots of wood, foam etc come in 3/4" thickness.

Since insulation foam comes in a 3/4inch thickness it would be handy if that matched to an even value. But:

1 inch = 15 feet

3/4 inch = 11 feet; 3 inches (11.25 feet)

2/3 inch = 10 feet

1/2 inch = 7.5 feet 

• Like 3

Game scale is 1 inch equals 15 feet. That would make a one story on building 3/4 of an inch (10 feet).

Three quarters of 15 is not 10...   :huh:

With a game scale of 1 inch = 15 feet........  2/3rds of an inch is ten feet.

One elevation level is 10 feet (3/4") a cav is 3 elevations tall. One of the reasons i went with the current scale is its great for terrain building. Lots of wood, foam etc come in 3/4" thickness.

Since insulation foam comes in a 3/4inch thickness it would be handy if that matched to an even value. But:

1 inch = 15 feet

3/4 inch = 11 feet; 3 inches (11.25 feet)

2/3 inch = 10 feet

1/2 inch = 7.5 feet 

It's 10 foot-ish . . . 

::D:

• Like 2

• Reaper User

As a lot of things are made in 3/4" that can be used for building terrain, I generalized the measurement as at that scale the amount its off is negligible. It was easier to say 3/4"= 10' then 5.3/8"= 10', especially as when you add in the roof of a building or a rise on the top of the hill will push it closer to being correct.

• Like 4