Dark Castle Tileset PDF

The Faceless King

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, so I've already blown through all the Freebies I had in mind for the Dark Castle set, including flooded and water features, corruption tiles, and specialty rooms.  Unlocked a nice photo tutorial for building the dungeons as well as making various small accessories to liven it up.  Also we unlocked an entirely new dungeon that can be added to pledges for an extra $6, the Serpent Caverns, these will be a cave system with cool inlaid serpent motif along some of the hallways and rooms. On top of that we unlocked the lava add-on for that set.  Pretty soon we'll mow through the specialty rooms for the Serpent Caverns and the props.  In the future I have one final set that I will be adding, the Forest Temple dungeon.  This will be another add-on adding a whole new style of dungeon.  After that, well I have no idea, this is going far better than I had anticipated and I am trying really hard to make sure I can keep up and not over-extend myself.  But suggestions are incredibly welcome!

I'm thrilled that you are having such success.  I would like to caution you against over-committing to any product you are not confident can be produced within the time frame - many projects fall into the trap, and it ends up harming or destroying the fledgling companies.

There is no shame in admitting that there is the limit of all the product you can produce within the time frame, although you may see a slight drop in backers and pledges, as the "circus" of an exploding project is some of the reason backers join.

• Members

^^ This.. 

It's quite alright to not continue to offer stretch goals or make them a lot further apart.  Make sure you are adequately compensating yourself for your time with anything else new that you design for this.  A lot of artists are guilty of under valueing their time when setting prices on things.

• Like 2

I had always thought it if did well I would offer three total sets.  Each priced the same and each with a couple expansions.  I also intend to not try to send them all at once.  I'll finish the Dark Castle (preferably by the end of the kickstarter) then work on the Serpent Temple over the next month or so, then finally the Forest Temple the next couple of months, the reality is, it's an email, not a huge shipping ordeal, so it also let's people be excited about what's coming and keeps their interest peaked.  

So basically anything offered after the Forest Temple will be quite minor at best, if anything at all. I am really surprised by the amount of love such a simple project received.  

• Like 2

Wow, so I've already blown through all the Freebies I had in mind for the Dark Castle set, including flooded and water features, corruption tiles, and specialty rooms.  Unlocked a nice photo tutorial for building the dungeons as well as making various small accessories to liven it up.  Also we unlocked an entirely new dungeon that can be added to pledges for an extra $6, the Serpent Caverns, these will be a cave system with cool inlaid serpent motif along some of the hallways and rooms. On top of that we unlocked the lava add-on for that set.  Pretty soon we'll mow through the specialty rooms for the Serpent Caverns and the props.  In the future I have one final set that I will be adding, the Forest Temple dungeon.  This will be another add-on adding a whole new style of dungeon.  After that, well I have no idea, this is going far better than I had anticipated and I am trying really hard to make sure I can keep up and not over-extend myself.  But suggestions are incredibly welcome!

I'm thrilled that you are having such success.  I would like to caution you against over-committing to any product you are not confident can be produced within the time frame - many projects fall into the trap, and it ends up harming or destroying the fledgling companies.

There is no shame in admitting that there is the limit of all the product you can produce within the time frame, although you may see a slight drop in backers and pledges, as the "circus" of an exploding project is some of the reason backers join.

This reminded me of the Order of the Stick kickstarter which I then looked up.  Apparently Rich Berlew is still plugging away at the mountain of work he promised to do.

Well I've got tomorrow off, so will be doing a bit of work on some tiles tomorrow.  I'm hoping to at least map out the Dark Castle stretch goals.  I really want to be done with all the Dark Castle goals be the end of the month.  It should be doable.  Once I got the graphics settled for the main set I completed it in less than a week. I've noticed that once I work out the graphics and the room shapes and details actually making the tiles themselves is very swift.   Though I imagine the water tiles will take a bit longer as I am really struggling making sure they fit the way I want. 

• Like 1