Sanael

Mice and Mystics gamepieces

I'm enjoying watching this and it keeps reminding me that I started painting minis to paint these exact pieces... one day... maybe... lol!

I just played this game for the first time last night, and I was looking at those unpainted figures and thinking "I could paint those. I like ratmen in my games" 

Apparently you can buy the original set figures for 15$.  I don't have any real use or appreciation of the cockroaches, but the rest look fun.  

I like your paint up of the roaches, and especially the spider.  

PS. We gotten eaten by the cat. 

Edited by Evilhalfling

Thanks, all, for the comments. Glad y'all like what you see.

Kharsin, why some day? Why not today? They're fun pieces to paint up.

OK, camera is being uncooperative, so only one pic today.

I've put in some more highlights and shadows on the rats, and they are just about finished.A few touchups where paint slopped and they'll be ready for sealer.

I'm really happy with the albino rat. This face is kinda the stuff of nightmares:

post-3328-0-61173100-1416072447.jpg

So now I just need to do some work on Glorm's Dance and the baddies should be wrapped up.

• Like 6

Alas, I hit a stretch where my schedule really impacted my painting time - so I wound up doing a marathon session to finish out the hero mice -- and didn't stop to take WIP pics along the way.  

Sanael managed to snag some photos after they were done, though. 

post-3334-0-28347000-1420769262_thumb.jpg

post-3334-0-87986300-1420769250_thumb.jpg

post-3334-0-83963400-1420769268_thumb.jpg

post-3334-0-35329500-1420769276_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I can figure out a paint schedule soon - I need to get cracking on some painting for both my D&D campaign, and ReaperCon!

• Like 9

This thread really helped me decide to buy the set.  but I don't need hero mouselings - I am painting them as villains!

So far all I have done is the Thief, but adding a pile of gold and a human skull to his base help sell him as a darker personality. 

I didn't notice the armband until I saw your version - I thought it was casting error on his wrist.  I'll fix it today. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By BananeDC
      Hi everyone, i'd like to share the photos of my Cadirith, from Bones II.

• By Pingo
      How slowly has this WIP gone? I started these elves in late spring 2016. Because of events and shake-ups I set aside all my work from that time, but now I have picked them up again. For this WIP I am making a warband of three female and one male Drow with support from a female sorceress Drider.

The three women are the wonderful set 03516: DHL Classics: Dark Elves sculpted by the inimitable Sandra Garrity. I'm going to identify each separately because they also have individual SKUs and names and it's easier to keep track of them that way. The man is 14046: Ardynn, Elf Hero sculpted by Werner Klocke; he is not intended as a Drow, but he looks so cranky I think he will do well as one. The Drider is a Bones mash-up of 77182: Arachnid Archer plus the torso of 77057: Juliette, Sorceress, as detailed in this thread.

All paints used are Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics. Color mixes are (usually) noted, but not exact ratios.

Questions are welcomed and I will try to answer them. Critiques are appreciated.

This is the way I usually start miniature figures: Lightly primed with Titanium White, then when that is dry, washing it over with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber is a dark, transparent pigment that settles into crannies when thinned down and shows the details very well. It also gives a nice warm undertone to later paint layers.

To begin with I painted the three women's weaponry straight Carbon Black, with the thought that I would paint over it later with metallics or iridescents, which always look better against a dark underpainting.

I mixed a transparent dark blue-black from Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine Blue and washed it over the three women's skin, and a bit lightly over their hair to begin to work where shadows will be,

The first dark elf in the Garrity set is also sold as 02574: Female Dark Elf.

The second is also Reaper's 02524: Female Dark Elf Cleric

And the third is 02460: Vernicia

I then mixed some Titanium White with the blue-black to make a cold blue grey and added rough lights to the skin, and white to the hair.

Ardynn I started a little differently, with blue-grey mixes from Ultramarine Blue, Burnt Sienna, and Titanium White and a bit of straight white in his hair from the start.

This is my custom-made Drider, primed with Reaper's Brown Liner diluted somewhat:

I painted her skin and hair the same way I did Ardynn's. This is the crude beginnings:

Next time: Faces! And arghy bits I missed, like Ardynn's hands.

• By Rob Dean
      Not the best pictures, but Warlady asked me about the sizes of various anthropomorphic animals, because I've been working on Burrows and Badgers.

Here's a Reaper mousling with an Oathsworn mouse.  The Oathsworn is a little chunky, but the mousling is even more exaggerated.  I'm not sure that I'd mix them.  They are similar in height, though.

I have two Darksword Critter Kingdom figures.  This hedgehog bard is also exaggerated compared to the Oathsworn, but possibly in a reasonable range for size.  My other Darksword figure is a penguin rogue, so I know he won't fit in.   All of the Darksword figures are approximately the same size, so if you can live with the mix of styles, it looks like B&B "medium" sized beasts (e.g. hedgehogs, squirrels, weasels) would be the best bet for compatibility.

If anyone else has additional pictures, please post!

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      The Pumpkin Spiders guard the Holy Patches, protecting their charges from the heretics known as "Pumpkin Smashers". When not dealing out the Wrath of the Great Pumpkin, they also look after the pilgrims who sit in the Patch, providing them with Reeses Pieces and covering the sleepy ones with Security Blankets...

• By Pochi
      @Guildensternwas my assigned recipient for the Summer paint exchange. She likes CAV and 40k and all these things I don't know anything about! I thought @robinh had made a mistake in his assignments until I saw that she likes mouseling! Ok, mouselings are something I like to paint. I went to my stash of mouselings. Yes, I have a stash of mouselings. Doesn't everyone? I hadn't ever painted the prince snd princess before so decided I would paint them. 

I have no idea where the idea to turn a toilet paper roll and Tropicana lids into a tower came from but there it was, the idea for Ratpunzel was born.

It was fun to make, paint, and put all the flowers on. 

So, without further ado....

Ratpunzel! Ratpunzel! Let down your tail!

• Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 24 Guests (See full list)