Krissy, Modern Witch

ShadowRaven

Well, I 'finished' her. I see in the pictures a few touch ups I missed, but that always seems to be the case for me. "Woo hoo, finished. time to take pictures" turns into "wait, dangit, I missed a spot, or three, or twenty" But I'm not going to set up my photo rig again, so this is it for pictures (unless someone suggests something I just have to try) I totaly forgot to go back and re-line the familiar for example, but you know what? at this point, I don't really care a whole lot. I'll fix it when I start my next project.

As always, comments and critiques are eagerly desired. Trust me, they all help me get better, and that's important to me. 

post-8132-0-21094900-1412980340.jpgpost-8132-0-08799400-1412980353.jpgpost-8132-0-41250000-1412980365.jpg

• Like 21

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She looks good Tim! I know exactly how you feel when taking pics and noticing mistakes that you made and then groaning in frustration.

Critiques for me are along the same lines I usually give you with the highlights here. Top of her hat, edges of her dice, tops of gloves, higher spots on cloak, and hair.

You did a great job on her basing and she's pretty clean with the painting.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Very fun!  I love how you hit each of the spots on the dice with a darker color, and her little familiar is a great touch!

As far as critiques go, I see a few little bits of light peaking out from between different colored items, so I would suggest just a bit more lining on your next mini.  For what its worth, while painting I generally go from mid through darkest shadows, line, and then work up through the highlights.  That way I never have to worry about accidentally getting anything midtone or higher in the dark lining shadows.

• Like 4

Very fun!  I love how you hit each of the spots on the dice with a darker color, and her little familiar is a great touch!

As far as critiques go, I see a few little bits of light peaking out from between different colored items, so I would suggest just a bit more lining on your next mini.  For what its worth, while painting I generally go from mid through darkest shadows, line, and then work up through the highlights.  That way I never have to worry about accidentally getting anything midtone or higher in the dark lining shadows.

That is very good advice, and I shall give it a try. Thank you.

• Like 1

I think you need to do another pass to clean up those few white pin-holes, as a matter of priority.

Maybe add a transparent controlled wash-darkline-thingy to smooth the darklining in a bit, because the blacklining looks too stark where it runs to the pale skin, makes it look like overpaint from the black clothing.

Possibly, possibly, consider highlighting the black a tiny bit, but with a blue or a teal, to pull it away from the dark purple a little; it's getting sucked into the purple shadows. If you do that, then also consider a slightly blue highlight for the hair, the highlight looks a little purplish... unless that's your intent, or just the camera.

Final tip, is consder trying to get some shading or highlighting onto the silvered bits to give them depth.

All of that said, those are just some possibilities to add a bit of subtle polish to an excellent job. I love what you've done; she's rocking the slightly cheesecakey goth look! You've got really tidy work and some excellent highlights (broom straw looks especially pro), it's just some tweaks that I hope will help you bring it all up to consistently the level you're hitting in the best bits!

• Like 2

You've gotten some great input here. She's a fun figure and the palette you chose really works.

Ya, I do the same thing when I take pics. I think "Thank God I'm done with that piece" and then BAM, there are problems and it's back to the painting table for more work. Drives me bonkers. But sometimes if I've had enough, I'll call it a day and post with flaws and all.

• Like 3