89005 Amiri / 03104 Urian: Replacement Warriors

Jessie

Hello, first time poster long time lurker.

When we last left our adventurers, the cowardly rogue had managed to run away and the sorcerer had survived. However, the brave cleric and the not-so-quick warlock managed to get themselves ripped to pieces by plague ridden animals. So the party needed new adventurers. Preferably more hardy ones.

Frustrated by the Bones' lack of female adventurers with weapons other than swords or staves, I tried my hand at modding my spare Amiri with an axe from the boneyard (P14608B). It had a hand in the right place and I'm pleased with how seamless it looks, especially given it's my first real mod. Spray primed in Army Painter black, and even got the mister to help me with some miliput to smooth the base a little. She just has the rose shadow on her skin now, so not much to look at yet.

post-13639-0-41489300-1413178778.jpg

post-13639-0-07053700-1413178779.jpg

Urian is for the mister. He's the first metal mini I've painted in a while, so it's nice to see the clear crispness of the model again. I'm only a tabletop-standard kind of gal, so bones are usually plenty good for me, but he looks like he'll be fun and a bit different from my latest fare. Thinking he'll look a lot like the one in the inspiration gallery (standard Spartan/Roman kind of colors). Haven't figured out quite yet what do with the front of his shield though, whether to leave like a rusted bronze or to have as if it were painted? Not sure yet.

post-13639-0-05015700-1413178780.jpg

post-13639-0-59857000-1413178780_thumb.jpg

Anyways, if you've made it this far thanks for reading my ramblings, hope to get to know you all and get some better tips and get better at this.
  • Like 18

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Forum, and glad you came out of the shadows.

We are a friendly bunch, so run around, see what we post, and

read the various forum entries, and show us what you are doing in the WIPs.

Folks will always give you suggestions, and answer's to your questions.

Thanks for sharing !

• Like 1

A little further along.

I'd consider the armor itself done at this point, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I like the effect/color, but it seems a little dark. Also I don't like that her hair looks really similar to the accent colors I picked for the cloth. So I may have to fix that. It's funny, I've Amiri already, and picked the colors Pathfinder portrays her as. This time I let myself pick the colors. And I'm not sure I've picked any better.

post-13639-0-61485500-1413522346.jpg

post-13639-0-67207500-1413522347_thumb.jpg

Liking the way the soldier is turning out. He is definitely the simpler of the two. I think I'm going to count the skirt and the tufts on his helmet as done. Still need to wash all the metal, maybe do another coat of the metal before I wash. Layers are on his spear shafts, but I don't now if it's enough yet either. And have all the skin to do still. Decided to do the shield like a roman shield, and have it painted red with yellow highlights. This was the HD brilliant red, and while it did cover the black primer pretty well on 1 coat, I'll definitely have to do another.

post-13639-0-69799600-1413522348.jpg

post-13639-0-69251300-1413522349_thumb.jpg

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

• Like 7

Jessie- These are really starting to come along. I agree at this point the hair and cloth are a bit similar. What I would suggest to try to differentiate the two is use some glazes of different colors. For the cloth what I would do is use a dark blue and mix it with a tiny bit of your main color and applied it very thin to the shadow areas and even a little on the midtone areas to let it shift the color a bit cooler. 

Then for the hair use a warm brown for the shadows the same way in a thin wash like consistency applied precisely. To really make her hair stand out pick out some highlights with a dark blonde hair color to give it a much warmer tone and more variation.

Overall I like your color selections for her and I still love that axe it looks great with her can't wait to see her finished.

• Like 1

Jessie- These are really starting to come along. I agree at this point the hair and cloth are a bit similar. What I would suggest to try to differentiate the two is use some glazes of different colors. For the cloth what I would do is use a dark blue and mix it with a tiny bit of your main color and applied it very thin to the shadow areas and even a little on the midtone areas to let it shift the color a bit cooler. 

Then for the hair use a warm brown for the shadows the same way in a thin wash like consistency applied precisely. To really make her hair stand out pick out some highlights with a dark blonde hair color to give it a much warmer tone and more variation.

Overall I like your color selections for her and I still love that axe it looks great with her can't wait to see her finished.

Thanks, could  you clarify what you mean by glaze or point me in the direction of a tutorial or something? I've seen it mentioned a few times but not sure what is meant, like a select wash applied?

Thanks, could  you clarify what you mean by glaze or point me in the direction of a tutorial or something? I've seen it mentioned a few times but not sure what is meant, like a select wash applied?

You just need to do an internet search  "miniature painting how to glaze" and you we get lost of tutorials.

like this one I randomly picked from the results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzaxN4J69s0

Edited by robinh
  • Like 1

A glaze is basically thinned down paint applied in a controlled manner. I simply thin my paint to a wash like consistency when you paint a stroke over writing a little color should be deposited but you should still be able to read the writing. The main difference between a glaze and wash is how you apply it typically when people use a wash they apply it all over the mini and allow it to pool in the crevises, to create quick shadows. (On a different note a little tip on a wash add a tiny brush point of white glue to it and the glue will pool it into the crevises better giving you a better look, but be careful too much glue can make it cloudy)

When you apply a glaze you want to whisk most of the paint off your brush so you can put the paint where you want it. Glazing can be used to color shift an entire area and also smooth blends. To smooth blends I will generally mix two or three shades for an area one for my shadow, midtone and highlights. To color shift an area to give it a different tonal feel I'll use just one but generally apply it in a few more coats in areas I really want to accentuate differently. The reaper clears are perfect for color shifting and applied as a glaze.

I hope all this rambling makes sense and helps you at least a little.

• Like 1

Thanks Marsya that helps a great deal.

Here's another interim of Amiri, though she is a bit further along now in real life. Tried to make her hair more orange before I understood the glaze stuff, so her hair will change again. Used my color wheel which told me green goes well with red. Gave her a bit of underclothing peaking up here and there that is sort of a mossy green, hopefully enough not to have her look too christmas-y. Her fluff is all painted up and the first coat on things I am calling "bones" on her hand, shoulder and quiver.

post-13639-0-85784300-1413759171.jpg

post-13639-0-73315800-1413759175.jpg

Next update will probably be the final, she is pretty close I think.

• Like 2

Well here we are all done. Thanks to everyone for following along on my first WIP post. I think it kept me more honest and it was nice to have the support of the community on this. Special thanks to Marsya for the helpful suggestion on the hair.

That's an extra blonde glaze on the hair which helped differentiate on the tone. And tea leaves that she's standing in. I'm not crazy about it, but I had wanted to try something and the base looked boring without it. Dropped a watered down clear coat on it after to try to keep it in place, and then painted a little green (but it is green tea, so it was already greenish).

post-13639-0-45551000-1413780473_thumb.jpg

post-13639-0-25864000-1413780479_thumb.jpg

And Urian all done. His base is an attempt at sand color-wise. I think his skin turned out better than Amiri's, but I'm not crazy about either of their skins. But it will be enough for playing at the table if no one looks too closely. Think his shield turned out very classic Roman style though, so I like that.

post-13639-0-97486300-1413780488_thumb.jpg

post-13639-0-41050600-1413780493_thumb.jpg

post-13639-0-85828500-1413780497_thumb.jpg

Anyways, thanks very much everyone for inspiring me to get through these guys! I really appreciate the support, comments, suggestions and everything! It's been a very nice welcome to the community.

• Like 4