Chibis: 1535 Bart, 1536 Sandy, 1537 Gus

Wren

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that these are here, I feel I can finally ask. How did you get that lovely green shading on the ghost? What colours did you use? I must try it.

I would like to know this as well. 

Painting a zed and keeping the brushwork so clean and tidy isn't easy. I greatly admire how you did Bart/Ron.

Sandy is lovely. Great aging on the wrappings and mummy skin. Mine will likely look very similar.

I love the slight green hue on Gus. I'm also interested in the technique, but will likely make mine slightly pink (a la Kirby) or grey/blue (a la Boo).

Bart is wonderful. You've done a superb job making him cartoony, but also gritty.

• Artists

Thanks everyone! For those interested in how I painted Gus, this is what I used.

I started with a base of Maggot White.

I shaded with Mist Green (mixing a few steps in between the Maggot White and Mist Green.)

I mixed a glaze of Coated Armor, and brushed that into the deepest shadow areas and underhangs.

Then highlighting with Pure White, and artist paint titanium white.

Hubby said it wasn't green enough, so I did an all-over glaze of Spring Green, and that bumped up both the green and the glow. This is a discontinued colour, but I think the new Alien Goo looks similar, or mix a little bit of yellow + white into Moth Green. After the glaze I reapplied some of the highlights.

All paints are Reaper Master Series apart from the artist titanium white. 

For those unfamiliar with a glaze, it's heavily thinned paint, almost coloured water. It's safer to dilute too much and have to do a second coat or add a bit more paint and then do a second coat. If you don't thin enough, the paint will obscure your blending work and mute the level of contrast. To test, paint a swipe on a piece of paper with text printed on it. You should easily be able to read all of the text, and the paint colour should just lightly tint the paper. After you load your brush, wick it off against a paper towel to remove excess paint. Unlike a wash, you do not want the paint to pool in recesses, you want to apply an even coat over the whole surface. You can paint a glaze on selectively, as I did with the Coated Armor  on this one in the shadow areas, or as an all-over coat to shift the underlying colour, as I did with the Spring Green.

• Like 10

excuse me while I glare sternly in Anne's direction for a moment  <_<

okay, better now. Thanks a bunch for the recipe, even if it looks like I am going to have to make some adjustments. I have a certain ghost i want for a diorama, and that colouring is about what I am after.

• Like 1

• Artists

I suspect our fellow painters are more to blame than Anne. I'm pretty sure paint discontinuation was based on sales figures. (So I have blamed the loss of many of my favourites on boys, who do not seem to want to buy purples or pastels. Silly boys. ;->)

• Like 1