CAV FLUFF

I personally agree with R5A. The ONLY thing keeping me interested in battletech is the setting. The rules are old and clunky (it really IS a glorified beer'n'prezels game!), some of the mech look downright stupid, and the rules themselves are inflexible and don't allow a lot of depth or realism.

Compare this to HG, which has a great, realistic ruleset, but the setting is not as interesting or epic as battletech's. What game do you think I play more???

And one CAN sit down and write fluff for their game system, but like R5A said, other priorities might get in the way; right now, I'm a player in a D&D campaign, run a Fading Suns campaign, AND run a Battletech campaign. Combine this with the minis I paint for D&D, Btech AND the historical wargames I play (2 rulesets in 2 different scales) and fleshing out an overall sparsely detailed universe is not as attractive when Battletech already did it for me.

Sure I ordered the rulebook, and I may very well enjoy the game, but what's going to be there to hold my interest?

Damon.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but what's going to be there to hold my interest?

that's the key. CAV has an elegantly simple system, but that may be what kills it. It's too simple at the moment and doesn't allow for a whole lot of flexibility. Gamers like flash, believe it or not they like big explosions and all sorts of crazy weapons. Big Bad aliens to beat down in the name of the good of humanity or whatnot.

I was at a miniatures convention this past weekend and I was talking to some historical wargaming friends of mine. I mentioned that it is hard to find historical wargamers out and about, they almost all play in their basements or at exclusive get togethers. Meanwhile you can walk into the local game store and get a game of Warhammer fantasy/40K, WARMACHINE, Magic, etc...without really having to look all that hard. Why would you think that is? Because gamers like fantasy, they like the escapism of gaming. "Realistic" games tend to go by the way side, played by a small following of gamers while the big games are the really big games. I play both, I enjoy a good historical game as much as good fantasy game, but I certainly play fantasy like games more then I play historical games because those games are hard to find and hard to get going. The more you tend towards realism and ease of play the more a game risks becoming dry and short lived.

I know I know, there's all this stuff coming down the pipe, but like I said I'm not going to hold my breath for it. It would be nice to get an idea of what Reaper has in store for the game. I'd certainly be more interested in playing the game more regularly if I knew something was going to happen.

I hate to compare here but I have a great example of what I mean. I joined the Press Gang for Privateer Press, and while we might know about things a little ahead of schedule then the general public, usually upcoming informaiton is doled out to everyone in equal proprotions. It "tease" the game audience, gets them interested and curious in the stuff coming down the pipe. I think it has gone a long way towards their public relations image.

Now I am not saying Reaper has a bad public image, not even close, what I am saying is if you have a game where there seems to be some pretty consistant complaints, and some pretty consistant reviews, wouldn't you be interested in getting the word out that things are changing?

Well, I'm not so sure the problem with historical games is realism; you can play a game of Warhammer Ancient Battles, and it plays pretty much like the fantasy variant (like 5e of WHFB, if that makes a difference) with only a little more detail (more depth in equipment, and a few other rules) but is essentially the same (sans magic), so whatever complaints about realism with WHFB usually also applies to WAB. Other historical games have similar (in some cases LESS) complexity and realism (such as the ever popular DBA).

I think the problem lies in the perception that the lead-in time is difficult (you have to know the history, and often buying history books, not to mention reading them, can be daunting for beginners), the armies are not canned as a product (to do Normans FREX, you'd have to buy several books on background, the figures, etc), and the idea that somehow history is boring. I was playing WAB at a local store, my Normans against a friend's Spartiate Hoplites. A kid came over and said "Cool! You're playing Warhammer? Can I play" I replied "Well, we're actually playing a Warhammer HISTORICAL wargame..." at which point he quickly lost interest and wandered away. So why go thorugh the effort to do this, when you can go to GW, buy one book and learn everything you need about that particular army, and just buy all the figures labelled "High Elves" FREX. A lot less effort than pouring over varous manufacturer's catalouges trying to find a suitable figure for a French Brigan, assuming you know what this is (or what they look like).

Sorry for the digression..

Damon.

while some of the complications in collecting and painting a historical army can be daunting to some, and certainly some historical systems are not "realistic" what I meant was that most gamers prefer fantasy. I say this because in the 18 years or so I have been wargaming there is a certain generality that has come to my attention that holds true time and time again - while I know quite a few historical gamers who play some fantasy/scifi games from time to time, I know a much less percentage of people who play fantasy/scifi and cross over to historical.

Generally speaking the majority enjoys the escapism of fantasy/scifi over reality. historical appeals to a smaller crowd and along with that so does "realistic". I will use a direct example of this - I know a ton of people who love CBT, and you could say that part of that is it has been around a long time but what it comes down to is a lot of people like to imagine themselves marching around in big walking warmachines and destroying their enemies with thousands of rounds of cannon, missile, and laser fire.

On the flip side there are a few CAV guys who really like that CAV is a combined arms game, and they tend to be well grounded in "reality" compared to the average gamer. What I mean is they like the gritty, "realistic" feel of the game.

There are still a ton of guys out there who want to be stomping around in their gigantic machines blasting away at their enemies. Some of those guys I have seen experiment with CAV and it is not for them for that very reason.

In essence, with it's simplistic system and it's realistic bent, it does not appeal to the larger crowd of gamers out there. Certainly CAV can be played almost exclusively with CAV alone, and in my mind it doesn't lose a whole lot, but with some real solid fluff, some real delineation of factions, and some real work on what being a Rach, a Malvernian or a Terran really means, I think the game could make leaps and bounds because it finally starts to appeal to those fantasy and scifi inclined people.

Now that don't fly with me... I'm 33, my wife just delivered our 3rd child a few months ago, and I'm always writing something.

So you have more time than me Kumut. They still doesn't change the amount of time I have. I would bet I am not the only one with a very limited amount of time. So you remark doesn't fly with me either.

Look neither one of us can fly now ::D:

Look Kumut I love good meat. I think Cav is good meat. But take all the gravy, dressing and stuffing away at thanksgiving and you just have a turkey. Is turkey good? It can be but it getts boring bye it's self fast.

All some of us are saying is we are tired of just turkey. It is time for the Thanksgiving Dinner.

Spartan6 - for now we wait, hopefully what KAMUT says is true - not that he would be lying but that sometimes the truth changes - and Reaper makes a big push to improve upon the game. For now I play a game occasionally but can't find myself really getting into it and won't until something happens to change the way it is laid out currently.