Sign in to follow this  
EvilJames

Playability/annoyance check for a character concept.

As a concept for stirring up a group of min-maxer snobs, I'd say

ric-flair-woo-gif.gif

If that's about the reaction you'd expect from your own playgroup, you might as well give it a shot long term. Sure there'd be a degree of comic relief to it, but I find playgroups with the right comic relief for them tend to be the most stable.

If your playgroup has more than maybe one person who would appreciate the wrestling humor, I'd steer clear of it for a long-term campaign. It's too much a special brand.

I'm going to add my vote to the "funny for a short while, then lose it, because it's annoying," crowd. Unless you think you can keep the joke afloat.

And then, be very sure you can keep it funny. Continuously.

• Like 2

It would have gone well in my group when we had Sho'Nuff, Bubba Hotep, and Rhon Jheremy. Any other time...not so much.

tried googling it but wikipedia was less than helpful in that regard. Might have to find and read it.

Haplo was kinda cool cause it was always a dog.

Dogs are great.

But look-a-like long lost brother?

The eidelon can look like what ever you want. So if I want it to look like another half-orc, then It does.

Well on the plus side it sounds like once the Hulk Hooligan Halfork Halftwin humour got lame the character could change it to something interesting, or useful.

In my experience, it's more amusing to confound min-maxers by not playing a murder-hobo.  Like, talking to people, accepting surrenders and not torturing prisoners.

• Like 8

Hubby and his best friend made a couple of characters kinda like that (gnolls flinds, based on DX characters). But those characters are ones we pull out when we have nothing else going on anyway, so they aren't like, long term, huge campaign characters. And they also aren't annoying/obnoxious about it. Or maybe I just enjoy them when they're being goofy. ^_^

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 1

In my experience, it's more amusing to confound min-maxers by not playing a murder-hobo.  Like, talking to people, accepting surrenders and not torturing prisoners.

If you're willing to "confound" (to use your word) your fellow players' play styles, you really don't have the moral high ground if they then choose to "confound" your play style by shooting the bartender in the eye when you're trying to talk to him.

Alternatively, you could find a group of people who want to play the same type of game you want to play.

Just a thought.

• Like 2

I'm not actually looking to mess with anyone with this. Just checking the concepts amusement level. As I said before, if it's not fun for the table it's not fun for me.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 2

ok, that's an entirely different way than I was thinking, but I kind of like it, less over the top and almost more traditional summoner than Luchador crossed with ric flair that i was thinking.

Edited by EvilJames
  • Like 1

I like the idea but you would have to play it very well. Getting a bunch of set quotes from the net before hand and using them in the right situation, not go over the top with it maybe just in combat filler type stuff. I dont think masks but possibly matching capes or something? keeping it at a level which doesnt slow the game and doesnt put your tag team in the spotlight all the time would be important.

Maybe add fantasy flavor to the idea like you and your brother were pit fighters and as a cruel jape the master of the pit put you and your brother against each other. When it came to the fight your brother didnt show up and you still search for him. Your only reminder is in your sorcery of which you summon an image of what you last remember him looking like... but slowly over time it looks slightly more and more like yourself...

• Like 1

Ooh yes. I've met a goodly numbers of GMs who'll happily play off that if they want to establish they're into role-playing rather more than roll-playing.

If you want to go for broke, make the charismatic, intelligent, sociable character a fighter avoiding bloodshed through winning wars of words. (Admittedly, that's easier to pull off in most any RPG not called D&D.)

• Like 1

In my experience, it's more amusing to confound min-maxers by not playing a murder-hobo. Like, talking to people, accepting surrenders and not torturing prisoners.

I think you're confused. Min-maxing is not a bad thing. It's just a thing. Do you not put your highest stats where they'll most useful? THAT is min-maxing. What you're talking about is 'roll playing vs. role playing.' Two totally different talking points.
  • Like 2