The Unplayable

Dr.Bedlam

Are there Unplayable monsters?

Creatures that you would just never populate a Dungeon with and would declare "not-in-my-game-world"?

Bryan implicated Aicheraii (odd birdish creatures) as candidates in his Ask Bryan thread.

Yes.  Definitely yes.  I can provide a lengthy list, given some time to compile it.  But pretty much any of the later 2nd Edition monster manual supplement annual monsters.  They were really scraping the barrel.  There's never been a shortage of stupid monsters, and stupid monsters have no place in my game.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there Unplayable monsters?

Yes.

Creatures that you would just never populate a Dungeon with and would declare "not-in-my-game-world"?

No.

Seriously. Two different questions. Nobody in their right mind would ever use a Fire-Breathing Phase Doppelganger Giant Space Hamster, yet did so to great effect in a homebrew Spelljammer adventure I unleashed on not just one, but two groups in my time.

I guess the takeaway is "it doesn't matter if it's unplayable as long as it fits".

• Like 1

The only character concepts I have problems with are the fairies/pixies race. Character occupies the same space as another character thus has special abilities that allow them to hide and do sneak damage because of this and that and how the sugar is something this tiny doing 40+ damage with a toothpick. Unless you flavor it flying through the ear canal and stabbing the brain directly, that's just stupid.

The key to getting over this is to understand that HP themselves are 100% unrealistic and thus there is no need to apply realism to things like pixie sword damage.  

• Like 3

Which books are these?

Encyclopedia Magica I'd guess. 4(?) volumes collecting just about every ridiculous magic item created by that time for 2nd ed AD&D. Some odd stuff in there but not as useful I found, as the Wizard and preist spell collections. My wizards had some great use out of those back in the day. (The Special Effects spell was a favorite as was "Wizard name" Transferrence, which switched properties of two materials and was really loose with what counted as "properties."

Edited by EvilJames

For me, he is unplayable unless you honestly WANT to kill off every PC in a campaign.

300 HP? Yep.

Need a wish (cast by an 18th level mage) to kill it? Yep.

Teeth equal to a Sword of Sharpness, cutting off limbs and making you bleed more every round? Yep.

I guess I am too nice of a DM....that didn't stop me from buying it though. :D

• Like 2