MIght do a bit more to the rocks, looking at it in the image. Especially the small ones in the second image

Yeah, they are a bit on the smooth side, unless you are going for the whole driftwood by the lake shore.  As it is, it really reminds me of the wood and rocks on the north shore of Lake Superior here in MN.

• Like 2
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As discussed in the Big-Mouthed, Putty Catcher thread, this thread will be a sculpt-along-with-me tutorial during which I'll walk you through the process of making a BMPC of your own.    Why the BMP

Step 1: Building the Armature   The first and arguably most important step of any sculpt is to build the armature.  Normally, this process would start with reference material and a template to get t

Step 2: Sculpting the Rock Base   Typically, if a critter is standing on the ground, I sculpt it first and add the base after the fact; however, in this case, the base is necessary to be there befor

Posted Images

yea, i wanted fairly smooth rocks with only a little striation to them. I'm meaning them look a bit too uniform to me, as if they were purposely stacked or something. might squish a few of them into different shapes so that they're not so similar =P

I went ahead and added the eye, but I'll let it cure fully and do tentacles tomorrow night  ^_^

I'll pull together a Word version and publish it as a PDFs you can download.  Not a problem.

TS, don't worry about it - I was mostly making a joke. I've already got the thread bookmarked on my tablet, and honestly, the animated GIFs are great. Not as attention required intensive as a video, but far more informative than a static pic.

I'll pull together a Word version and publish it as a PDFs you can download.  Not a problem.

TS, don't worry about it - I was mostly making a joke. I've already got the thread bookmarked on my tablet, and honestly, the animated GIFs are great. Not as attention required intensive as a video, but far more informative than a static pic.

Yeah, truth be told, I'm having trouble getting the time.  Activities with my boys have me running almost every night.

• Like 1

So here's what I have so far...

I did texture the tentacles but didn't take a pic of them afterward.

So whats next?

Yours appears to be on some sort of coral, the way you textured the base. Maybe add a strand of kelp, or two?

• Like 1

Put tentacles on mine. Think I may have made them too small? I can always bulk them out later I guess lol. Two are supported by wire armature, the other two are just sculpted onto the rocks. I went ahead and covered my twined armature in a coating of GS to give it a bit of stability since I'm not using the wire rod type of armature =P

post-12758-0-46073400-1414010221_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-99370600-1414010223_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The only problem I have with the animated GIFs is that I had intended to take this thread and do some copy and paste to a nice word document I could print out as a reference. For some reason, animated GIFs just don't seem to work when printed to paper. I can't figure out why for the life of me, you'd think as a tech guy, I'd be able to figure that out.  :devil:

Flip book, obviously.  ^_^

And the eyes look very much like leafless kelp on the beach. Kelp is creepy, btw.  :blink:

Edited by Doug Sundseth

You'll all have to forgive me if the next installment is a bit slow in coming.  I have a major sculpt due for a client by Friday this week and several family things as well (including Halloween itself), so I'm not sure if I'll get much time to film the next steps until the weekend.

Thanks,

Andy

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago, I spend the day (and much of the night) helping out the local PFS folks at an Extra Life event. I didn't have time or materials to paint, but I did bring some putty, wire and sculpting tools:

post-7337-0-92688300-1415365056.jpg

post-7337-0-21957900-1415365070.jpg

I need to improve the surface texture on most of the little critter, but it was fun to have something to do with my hands during my down time. Thanks for leading this, Andy! ::):

• Like 6