• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As discussed in the Big-Mouthed, Putty Catcher thread, this thread will be a sculpt-along-with-me tutorial during which I'll walk you through the process of making a BMPC of your own.    Why the BMP

Step 1: Building the Armature   The first and arguably most important step of any sculpt is to build the armature.  Normally, this process would start with reference material and a template to get t

Step 2: Sculpting the Rock Base   Typically, if a critter is standing on the ground, I sculpt it first and add the base after the fact; however, in this case, the base is necessary to be there befor

Posted Images

Size 0 cupped clay shaper sees the most use in my arsenal of that which I cannot make myself, followed closely by the pointed and the flat. Usually, the three come together in a set with two others I don't use.

In truth, I do 90% of the work with 4 tools:

- My fingers

- Metal dental spatula (though many other metal bladed, but not sharp, tools would work; I know some who use a dulled Exacto knife for this). I use this for shaping, rough layout, and blending,

- Cupped (0) clay shaper

- Fine-pointed, leaf blade I made myself. This guy does almost all of my detail work save for a few applications where a pin tip is needed.

Thanks!

8)

George

I misplaced my sculpting tools  :down: worried i left them somewhere at ReaperCon

Are you talking about the ones you got from me (burnisher and leaf blade tools)?  I found an extra set in my stuff after ReaperCon.  I'm wondering if you left them at my station by accident. 

I misplaced my sculpting tools :down: worried i left them somewhere at ReaperCon

Are you talking about the ones you got from me (burnisher and leaf blade tools)? I found an extra set in my stuff after ReaperCon. I'm wondering if you left them at my station by accident.

Yes those ones! Did I leave them with you? D= I know I couldn't find them after ReaperCon

• Like 1

Nothing worse then losing your tools, I lost my smoother the other day and I was beside myself lol. I use wood tools and when I am done I place the smoother in my mouth since it is sculpt smooth sculpt smooth so it sees a lot of action, so much so that it is a darker colour then the rest from my spit over the months lol.

• Like 1

Nothing worse then losing your tools, I lost my smoother the other day and I was beside myself lol. I use wood tools and when I am done I place the smoother in my mouth since it is sculpt smooth sculpt smooth so it sees a lot of action, so much so that it is a darker colour then the rest from my spit over the months lol.

I feel especially bad for losing them because Talespinner made them for me  :down: I've turned my hobby desk completely inside out without finding them, and was worried they actually were left at ReaperCon

I feel especially bad for losing them because Talespinner made them for me  :down: I've turned my hobby desk completely inside out without finding them, and was worried they actually were left at ReaperCon

Not to worry, just PM me your address again and I'll mail them to you.

• Like 1

I just finished the lesson. I can't say I was 100% successful, but I learned a lot. I made my tentacles too thin and didn't stick them well enough to the base, so one broke. The galvanized wire I used for the armature didn't really want to let the putty stick. The putty I used is Magic Sculpt, which is all that I have and I have quite a lot of it, so that's why my model is gray. As I was removing the figure from the cork the body separated from the base, so I put a drop of super glue in to fix it, which I understand is a no-no for models intended for production.

post-12393-0-05808000-1441924686.jpgpost-12393-0-28952600-1441924697.jpgpost-12393-0-91164000-1441924712.jpgpost-12393-0-06568300-1441924722.jpg

The background grid is 1cm scale to the solid lines, from my cutting mat.

Edited by ultrasquid
  • Like 6