what are your favorite transparent paints/inks?

lexomatic

My FLGS is out of Reaper Clears, and I can't justify a direct order at the moment (though in future I might if it takes too long to restock).

I do have a few (yellow, blue, magenta), and a few liquitex artists inks.

What I don't have is an actual transparent red (the liquitex is opaque).

I don't know anywhere local that sells Tamiya clears, so I'm wondering what else people like to use.

I almost got the Army Painter inks, but they mention being resin based? and that made me a little leery of the compatibility with my other acrylic based stuff.

I also saw some P3 inks available, but haven't been able to determine their transparency from searching online.

The store also carries Vallejo inks, but they don't have a ton in stock.

I thought I'd turn to the ever knowledgeable community for some advice and opinions.

So... what do people like to use for transparent colors?

and for the artists...what are your thoughts with transparent artists paints? how well do they glaze?

• Like 1

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics, but if you don't mind a glossier finish, Liquitex and Winsor and Newton make good acrylics too (just don't buy the student-grade Liquitex Basics or W&N Galeria colors).

For a transparent red I like Quinacridone Crimson or Quinacridone Violet (which is more like a process magenta and turns to a bright red when mixed with yellow). There is also a Quinacridone Rose and several other varieties of Quinacridone.

The traditional artists' transparent red was Alizarin Crimson, but it has fallen into disfavor because it fades. Most acrylic lines have an "Alizarin Crimson Hue" ("hue" in a paint name means it is not the pigment stated, but a substitute) usually made from a mix of Quinacridones.

A good transparent blue is Phthalocyanine Blue. It's incredibly strong deep slightly greenish blue; only a bit will stain a whole color mix. Related is the very versatile Phthalocyanine Green, an intensely transparent peacock-green.

For softer transparent colors (because the above are pretty vivid), I like the warmer Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna, which are not quite as glass-clear as the above colors but are still pretty transparent. Ultramarine is a more mellow, slightly violet-blue which naturally dries to a velvety matte surface (but if too matte it can become opaque). Burnt Sienna, a brown, thins down to a surprisingly vivid red-orange in washes. As an added bonus, these two mixed can make a very atmospheric near-black excellent for shadows and greys with character.

• Like 6

I use Liquitex inks, and a couple of P3 inks. Both dry somewhat glossy.

I also keep some Liquitex paints on hand. Payne's Grey, Prussian Blue, Burnt Umber, and Burnt Sienna, to be specific.

EDIT: And, according to the labels, they're the Professional Inks and Professional Soft Body Acrylics.

I tend to use inks mostly for glazing to bring intensity to a color, and for that I usually go with a 1:10 or 1:15 ink:water mix (which is VERY transparent, and takes many, many coats to affect the underlying paint).

I'm not as smart as Pingo about this stuff, but I hope I could help a little.

• Like 2

I have a friend who swears by Liquitex transparent burnt umber as his go to wash for everything.

He convinced me to buy a bottle when I got back into the hobby, and indeed it is quite effective for speed painting. But I soon realized I'm not a speed painter, so I'll be using it mostly as a starter base for some washes.

Same deal with Payne's Grey, a good starter colour for iron/silver metal washes.

• Like 1

A good transparent blue is Phthalocyanine Blue. It's incredibly strong deep slightly greenish blue; only a bit will stain a whole color mix. Related is the very versatile Phthalocyanine Green, an intensely transparent peacock-green.

For softer transparent colors (because the above are pretty vivid), I like the warmer Ultramarine Blue and Burnt Sienna, which are not quite as glass-clear as the above colors but are still pretty transparent.

Good to find out about the crimson. After looking at the liquitex site, I have the red ink that is opaque, and they have another that's transparent that I might look for.

I'm glad you're mentioning all the colors of ink I have, and I definitely might try the payne's gray mix (I think I have an ultramarine ink?) for some of my transparent minis. I was hoping you'd notice this thread.

And thanks to the others for answering too.Looking forward to more options.

I use Windsor Newton drawing inks, which are all transparent. They do dry with a glossy finish, so after a couple of layers I paint a layer of Vallejo matte varnish over top to see where I'm at. They're a bit pricey ($70 for both sets of 8 off of amazon), but well worth it. Lovely glass jars that are pretty much lifetime supplies.

Edited by brushmistress
  • Like 2

I've got a number of old Pelikan artists inks that I purchased from a university art store I think about a decade ago. Don't think they're available in the US anymore. Also have a set of Citadel Colour Inks that I got from my then FLGS (RIP Hungate's) back in the late 80's and a couple of Koh-I-Noor Rapidograph universal drawing inks- transparent green and blue, also from  the late 80's.  I've been thinking about ordering a set of Scale 75 Inktensity, but they dry with a satin finish and I don't know if they are transparent, so I'll probably pass on them for now.
Almost forgot the bottle of Reaper MSP Red Ink that I need to make use of.-it's definitely transparent.

• Like 1