Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello all. Today I just finished this Shambling Mound from Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures. I decided to do it just like a tutorial I saw on Mini Junkies, so I'm not even sure how much credit I can claim for him . Basically it's heavily drybrushed with white and then entirely inked. I used Vallejo Game Inks and this was my first time trying them. There are some imperfections and I wish some aspects had turned out different but I'm happy enough with him. I didn't have enough guts to put grass and flock directly on him like I would have liked but I don't think any of the stuff I have would have looked right. As it is the grass and flock on the base basically disappears because it blends with the greens on him. Hope you enjoy him!
Thief : Blue Ink base + black ink to show details (least happy)
Cleric : angelic ghost or spiritual weapon spell. Yellow ink + TMM
Ranger: painted by minispawn. ill take it. Makes a great ghost
Wizard: nulin Oil + higlights of green ink (fav)
Fighter: I only painted the base. (represents an invisible PC pretty well.)
I should talk to @Doug Sundseth about this again, since he is teaching a class on it, probably today. Not sure im happy with the set.
WizKids make both Nolur's Marvelous and Pathfinder Deep Cuts miniatures, both similar in style, scale and the primer. These, however, were clear transparent with just their integral bases primed light grey.
I started by painting them all over with Army painter Anti-Shine Matte varnish. Then I gave them a wash of Citadel Casandora Yellow shade.
When dry I then drybrushed carefully, using only "twelve to six"-strokes (think of a clock, the strokes going straight downward) with a pinkish red, a dark reddish brown and black.
As these paints were both thin and carefully applied, the effect is much like a tasty gummy bear.
Some dark blue in the eye cavities, followed by Army Painter Crystal Blue and Reaper Copper Verdigris on the eyeballs to make that demonic glow.
The collars were painted with scale color Black Metal, followed by Army Painter Alien Purple and Scalecolor Deep Blue, topped with some more Black Metal.
Inside the open mouth I painted some Citadel Yriel Yellow and Reaper Pure White.
Hell Hounds are really big dogs!
I did the bases with black flock directly beneath the hounds, with a crescent of my normal green flockmix to the front. I dabbed some yellow and orange paint along the edges to hint at burning grass. The bases themselves are 3D-printed 30mm x 45mm lipped ovals.
72581 Hell Hounds
Pathfinder Deep Cuts by WizKids
The new Deepstar Kraken model is coming out soon for DeepWars and I painted up this one for display using a lot of inks and liquid acrylics. This model (not really a miniature when this big) was done in different stages. The base painting was done with blue skin and light tentacles. The mantle and top of the tentacles were given two washes of Marine Blue (Ultramarine) liquid acrylics (Dr. Phil Martins brand) mixed with matte medium and water. When the first was dry, the second was applied. The underside of the tentacles was done with a mix of Cerulean Blue ink (Liquitex) + white paint + Matte medium and water.
After removing from the base, as it was making it difficult to reach the bottom of the tentacles, I applied many light blue glazes (Cerulean Blue + Ultramarine Blue + White) for highlights and some dark (Ultramarine Blue) glazes for shadows. The goal was to make the blending mostly smooth but not to go overboard and spend too long on it. The reason will become clear soon.
The next stage was the big one. Dots of blue-green, green, yellow-green, white and various shades of orange and Burnt Umber were applied to the mantle and tentacles. This was done using Liquitex inks and Phil Martin liquid acrylics to make sure the dots were very pure in color and, more importantly, flowed evenly off the end of the brush, which was held and used like a pen. After the dots had dried, glazes of inks colors were applied, yellow-green to the mantle and tips of tentacles and bright orange to the “face”. When this dried, more dots were applied over them and highlights were applied to some of the dots using a bit of white or yellow mixed into the ink.
The eyes were done with yellow liquid acrylic mixed with white, black, and a bit of blue as the base. It was highlighted with more white and a touch of yellow. The black iris was painted, then more white highlights were applied around it to clean it up. Finally, the big highlight was added at the top with thinned white. The eyes were not painted as gems (bright bottom, dark top with hot-spot secular reflection) here as the light was meant to be diffused by the water. Maybe next time. The base was done with washes of Burnt Sienna ink first, then washes of Pthalho blue and Marine Blue ink to darken the rocks. it was all drybrushed with Americana brand Buttermilk, then some glazes of greens, magentas and purples were added to the sponges and corals. The barnacles were drybrushed with some white to make them stand out.
Who's Online 21 Members, 3 Anonymous, 25 Guests (See full list)