Sign in to follow this  
Vil-hatarn

CAV 2 Rules Compilation

I realized during the Kickstarter that the CAV 2 rules were relatively hard to track down in their entirety, and that I and others were spending a lot of time pointing newcomers in the right direction. Coming back to the game after some time away, I also found myself needing to reference the rulebook more frequently and quickly got fed up with the volume of errata I had to deal with. To make things easier for everyone, I've created a stripped-down copy of the rules incorporating all of the errata and changes up to and including Rage Chronicles '08. While I imagine most players will still want to download the original rulebook for the art and setting information, these files are all you need to play:

EDIT: Links removed as per Reaper's request.
CAV Second Edition Version 1.2 Rulebook
CAV Second Edition Version 1.2 Data Cards

CAV Second Edition Version 1.1 Rulebook (out of date, full art/setting)

Mil-Net: Shards

Mil-Net: War for Sale

Mil-Net has been experiencing some server difficulties, so at the moment this is the only working link to the latest data cards (the ones included with the rulebook download on the Reaper site are out of date). This also means that you can't currently download the free copies of the Mil-Net sourcebooks Shards or War For Sale. The bandwidth limit on my Dropbox makes me hesitant to post those publicly, but if you're looking for copies send me a private message and I'll get them to you. EDIT: Added links for Shards, War for Sale, and the non-condensed core rulebook.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Hmmm, I asked several weeks ago and was told that CAV 2 v1.1 was the last official version of the rules. Now v1.2 shows up?

Hmmm, I asked several weeks ago and was told that CAV 2 v1.1 was the last official version of the rules. Now v1.2 shows up?

Nevermind.

I found my original post and realized this "Fan Compiled" file likely incorporated the errata.

Nevermind.

I found my original post and realized this "Fan Compiled" file likely incorporated the errata.

Correct.

Right, the most recent rulebook is version 1.1 but the most recent rules (Rage Chronicles '08 errata and data cards) are version 1.2, and I've combined the two here. Technically speaking, RC '08 was never made official--you'll notice the data cards still have a "Beta Test Document" watermark--but it was in use for years and is the version of the rules used in the Mil-Net sourcebooks. Just so everyone's clear ^_^

Speaking of CAV2, played a good sized game last weekend, 6 sections per side. Was a bit of a see-saw at first, then came down to who activated first in the last turn. Was a real fun game, didn't get pictures though. Maybe next time.

• Like 2

Over the past few months, I (with help from a few others) have been working on incorporating and improving the incomplete version 1.3 changes to the ruleset. These rules, which we have dubbed CAV 2.M (for Mil-Net), are approaching playability; I expect to be posting a beta version later this month for playtesting, and a final version to follow later this year. Watch this space!

• Like 2

Another CAV 2.M post, this time reviewing UCORs and my attempt to further individualize each manufacturer. I'd be happy to share the more technical details if anyone's interested (didn't want to clutter up a mostly-descriptive post with a bunch of numbers), or you can wait and see when the beta is ready. That is, unfortunately, not today, due to a handful of...challenging...units (trying to reconcile JoR1 descriptions, production dates, and gameplay concerns can be remarkably difficult). Very hopeful for next week though!

• Like 2

Quick update--the download link for the old core rulebook appears to have finally been removed from the Reaper site so I've rehosted on my Dropbox; download links in the original post.

• Like 2

I realized during the Kickstarter that the CAV 2 rules were relatively hard to track down in their entirety, and that I and others were spending a lot of time pointing newcomers in the right direction. Coming back to the game after some time away, I also found myself needing to reference the rulebook more frequently and quickly got fed up with the volume of errata I had to deal with. To make things easier for everyone, I've created a stripped-down copy of the rules incorporating all of the errata and changes up to and including Rage Chronicles '08. While I imagine most players will still want to download the original rulebook for the art and setting information, these files are all you need to play:

Mil-Net has been experiencing some server difficulties, so at the moment this is the only working link to the latest data cards (the ones included with the rulebook download on the Reaper site are out of date). This also means that you can't currently download the free copies of the Mil-Net sourcebooks Shards or War For Sale. The bandwidth limit on my Dropbox makes me hesitant to post those publicly, but if you're looking for copies send me a private message and I'll get them to you. EDIT: Added links for Shards, War for Sale, and the non-condensed core rulebook.

Enjoy!

Greetings Vil-hatarn,

I have reviewed your efforts and they are impressive, however you are confusing new players to the CAV universe and we get several each week emailing us with questions. Some believe that any fan can create a CAV mecha game and use all of the IP and art in their new creation. Some are confused about the differences between the book the just ordered and received versus the free download they now find in the forums. Some are just lost and want to get into CAV and desire guidance as what to do, get and go.

Now I will be the first to say that CAV has had a worse life than Oliver Twist and has not been treated properly by Reaper. The reasons for this are many, but primarily it was due to a lack of wisdom and understanding on our part. As anyone reading this is aware, the fans never gave up on CAV. To that end, one of CAVs biggest fans, CAV Boss, approached us about purchasing the line, miniatures, all IP and art. He was not the first person to do so and the price was significant. He was the the one that paid it.

I can tell be reading your many posts about CAV and all things Reaper that your intentions are simply fan driven so I am making this a simple public request. CAV now has a new owner and a chance to go to the top. CAV Boss has both the resources and the time to solely focus on getting the job done. Your efforts are hurting CAV's rebirth. 

We took the CAV 2 link down for a reason. Your reposting it to a public drop box without permission is unacceptable. Posting your version of CAV, rules, data and interpretations in various threads is also unacceptable. I am asking you to refrain from doing this in the future.

Creating universes and rule sets to play games in them is fun. If you wish to continue that I would suggest you do so with a new IP that you create. Terms and rules for things like target lock, armor defense and so on are more than common and not unique to any game so you would be able to create your game with few restraints. You might also consider Kickstarter for funding.

If you have any questions please post them here or email me [email protected]

best,

Edited by EdPugh

Poor form Ed. You could have at least handled this in private. At best, since CAV *is* no longer your product, Jon could have handled it himself.

Posting your version of CAV, rules, data and interpretations in various threads is also unacceptable.

So TPTB are adamantly against players sharing their house rules? Is this to be a blanket ruling applied to everyone? Or just levied against content related to previous versions of CAV or specific people?

Edited by Chrome
  • Like 4

My apologies for any confusion among new players; while I made a point of clearly labeling my posts with the correct version number and, in the other thread, its unofficial status, I acknowledge that they could have been more explicitly differentiated from CAV:SO for those unaware of the game's history. I am surprised that you have asked me to remove them rather than simply clarifying their nature, as my intention is and has always been to ensure that the necessary resources remain accessible for those who were told, repeatedly, that they could keep playing CAV 2.

That said, these are your boards and I will remove the links as requested. I can see the CAV 2 community is no longer welcome here. After nearly 15 years as one of Reaper's most loyal fans, all I have left to say is that I am deeply and sincerely disappointed by your and Talon Games' actions and behavior with respect to CAV.

• Like 3