Hi Devin,

I made a second globe and made pictures during the process.

THANK YOU! That was amazing to read! I may just make one just for the fun of it.

JUST read that book link too! I may just have to do that! those are cool! Thanks Ub3r

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 2

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gif2014-11-24 20.19.49.jpg

Started the books for the bookcases. These are made with a variation on the techniques ub3r_n3rd linked to, thanks for that.

The books are still unpainted, just balsa wood and brown paper.

Did some tests and calculations and I think I will need about 350 books :blink:

I am following your progress on this project...you are doing some excellent and really outstanding work on all aspects that you have undertaken thus far. It is a joy to watch an inspired person work on an inspired project that he or she has involved themselves in (both body and soul).

Tip on making books...if you want to have your books show actual pages...instead of using balsa wood...use white/tan paper cut to size (about a dozen sheets)...folded in the middle...bound with your brown cover...then trim the books to the varied sizes that you desire...this is just a tip...there is nothing wrong with the way you are currently making your books...and they do look very good.

• Like 3

Made the floor of the library, complete with a pit for the globe. I found a use for the tiles a tested for the floor. The walls of the pit are lined with light colored tiles. The floor will be a dark chocolate brown so it should be a nice contrast.

attachicon.gif2014-11-23 18.45.25.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-11-23 18.45.55.jpg

I am not sure yet about the railing around the pit. Don't think it is needed.

attachicon.gif2014-11-23 18.57.07.jpg

attachicon.gif2014-11-23 18.57.49.jpg

Still to do: A stair down to the lower level. Railing on the spiral staircase. One or more tables, chairs. Some more bookcases. And about a hundred books. Oh and paint the lot :;):

I like the look, I don't like the placement. I think something like that should be in the center of the room (difficult I know since we are only getting half a room) and aesthetically it would have been cool to have a round pit, and especially to have access to it from all sides. You could have also mimicked the circular stair by using a small curved stair down to the bottom of the pit. But, still looks great!

I see your point. My first designs for the pit where different. I tried round, square and orthogonal designs, but it did not look right to me. The problem is the width of the diorama. To make the pit work and have enough room between it and the bookcases I would have to add at least 4 or 5 cm to width of the floor. I did not want to do that.

Placing the globe in the middle of the floor also caused problems with the placing of the miniatures and furniture. I also think making the scene not symmetrical adds a bit of visual interest.

• Like 2

Been busy making books. Here is my method for mass production. These book will go in the bookcases so most important is the spine of the book.

Cut 5mm wide strips of balsa wood. I used 1, 2 and 3mm thickness. Glue them to one side on a 15mm wide strip of paper. I used thick brown craft paper.

post-13422-0-04076600-1416987617.jpg

Fold the strip of paper over and glue it to the other side of the balsa wood.

post-13422-0-04745700-1416987618.jpg

Trim of the excess paper and cut into individual books.

post-13422-0-06975200-1416987619.jpg

End result, a whole load of books:

post-13422-0-06099700-1416987620.jpg

I still have to paint some details on the spines to make them stand out a bit more and paint

For the books where the paper is visible I am going to try a different technique with paper instead of balsa wood. I need a lot less of them, so I can take a bit more time.

• Like 14

attachicon.gif2014-11-24 20.19.49.jpg

Started the books for the bookcases. These are made with a variation on the techniques ub3r_n3rd linked to, thanks for that.

The books are still unpainted, just balsa wood and brown paper.

Did some tests and calculations and I think I will need about 350 books :blink:

This picture made me laugh so hard!!! The poor librarian mage guy is just standing in the middle of this pile of books, looking all contemplative, like he's wondering how the heck all of these books got off the shelves and all over the floor.  :lol:

And then in the next picture, the pile is BIGGER! He's going to need some library assistants to help him put them all back on the shelf!  ^_^

What a fantastic diorama this is going to be!!! Your scratch-building skills are very good! :) I love libraries and working in them, so your WIP thread caught my eye. I'll be watching it with interest for sure!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 9

post-11942-0-67055800-1417196009_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-69675500-1417195980_thumb.jpg

Minibart...your stack of library books look fantastic!!!...The pile of books with the male figure standing over them reminds me of an old sci-fi movie (can't remember the title) where books were outlawed and piles were burned in the streets!...Again, your whole diorama concept looks outstanding!...I am enjoying following the progress!

I do not know the reason for you having only the brown covers...I would have suggested mixing the colors of your covers a little bit...some black, red, green, blue...also varied shades of your brown...again this is just a suggestion!

In a prior posting...I had mentioned making books using paper for pages...The above posting is what they look like...cut to varied sizes and with varied colored covers; also pictured are a couple of the magazines that were made using the same process that I am using in my current Bayou diorama project...these are posted just so you can see what books look like using the paper method!

Paul (Catdancer)

• Like 4

Minibart...your stack of library books look fantastic!!!...The pile of books with the male figure standing over them reminds me of an old sci-fi movie (can't remember the title) where books were outlawed and piles were burned in the streets!...Again, your whole diorama concept looks outstanding!...I am enjoying following the progress!

Sounds like Fahrenheit 451.

• Like 6

Thank you Qwyksilver! Yes, that was the movie!

Thank you Qwyksilver! Yes, that was the movie!

That book is solely responsible for my love of science fiction and fantasy.  5th grade, during my computer special, back on a Mac iic.  I finished my LOGO project early and got to play a game, and was bored with dying of dysentary on the Oregon Trail.  I tried this new game the teacher had, Fahrenheit 451.  The mechanical hound fascinated me, and the thought of burning books horrified me, I was a reader, but never SF.  I immediately went to the library and got a copy of the book.  Read and fell in love.  And then tore through every SF book in the middle school library the rest of the year.  The rest is nerdistory :lol:

• Like 5

Hoi Paul,

Thank you  for showing your books. They look excellent!

The reason the books are all the same color for now is that I planned to paint them. I prefer to paint them so I can have more control over the colors. 

The books with the wooden center all are going on the shelves of the bookcases. I started making some books for the table. These have paper pages. Also made some scrolls.

post-13422-0-88824000-1417273921.jpg

• Like 14