Sign in to follow this  
Marvin

77059: Orc Berserker (Two Handed Sword) (Bones)

I finally got to painting my Bones Orc Berserker, by Tre Manor. It was one of the first Bones I purchased, an awesome sculpt.

I didn't get him nearly as green as has been my tendency with previous orcs. Was aiming for some more bluish black. In other news, my first use of a Secret Weapon wash is here: I used Baby Poop (lol) on the dark armor. Again, having trouble with the photos. I went back and took the last couple shots here after; I think maybe they give a better representation of how he looks in person.

WP_20141022_022_zpsf948109c.jpg

WP_20141022_023_zpsf9fe7ee6.jpg

WP_20141022_024_zps7c010b50.jpg

WP_20141022_050_zps6edfb3d7.jpg

WP_20141022_049_zps5d58d200.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism are very welcome. Still trying to get better!

• Like 17

I love Tre's orcs. You are improving with each figure. Keep up the good work!  ^_^

I'll echo ub3r_n3rd: Contrast is important at the scale we tend to work at. Push the highlights. For most metallics, for example, I like to add a bit of silver at the highest edges.

• Like 3

Thanks, y'all. You are both very correct, of course, and I already know it. I backed off with my highlights because I couldn't figure out how to handle his skin. Cowered out lol.

• Like 1

Thanks, y'all. You are both very correct, of course, and I already know it. I backed off with my highlights because I couldn't figure out how to handle his skin. Cowered out lol.

What I do is add yellow a little bit at a time to the green to lighten it up and just hit those areas that would see the light, tops of muscles and top of head.

• Like 2

What I do is add yellow a little bit at a time to the green to lighten it up and just hit those areas that would see the light, tops of muscles and top of head.

I guess that'd make sense. It's what I was doing with my goblins. That's where I got scared with this guy, though--he's not very green at all in person, looks more blue, and I was wasn't sure what the yellow would do. Well, I guess green it, really.

I don't know why I sweated it, honestly. I may go back and try it yet.

• Like 2

Never be afraid to take chances Marvin, that's half the fun. Be a mad scientist, mix colors, experiment, and have fun. What's the worst that can happen? You give them a long relaxing bath in simple green and try again another time if you hate what you did.

• Like 2

I'm not 100% sold on the skin color, but I think the 'baby poop' worked very well on the armor. Good job!

Note that I'm not saying that his skin color should be the stereotypical green.

• Like 2

My beef is more with the green tunic that looks almost the same as the green skin.

And like in your troll claws, the orc's teeth would need a little yellowing. Unless he *really* loves broccoli.

The orcs are really a good choice for practice/experimental painting, especially for Vampire Bones backers because there a ton of them.

• Like 2

Ub3r is right, and a good way to practice is buying the 3 packs of bones: Skeletons, goblins, orc's. More for for you money in terms of miniatures to practice on! I get about 12 goblins before doing anything big.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this