I painted up an old Ral Partha troll, from their AD&D Monsters line. Love love love this sculpt of an old-school D&D foe I loved loved loved.

I aimed for gross (and maybe a little radioactive) with him. Didn't do a whole lot, really--basecoated and applied a couple different washes (more SW; Algae and Green Black or whatnot) and sparely highlighted.

WP_20141022_029_zpscacdacb1.jpg

WP_20141022_030_zps5b2dd1b8.jpg

WP_20141022_032_zps921bcc88.jpg

Thanks for looking. Comments and criticism are very welcome!

• Like 18
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only improvements I can see would be to do something with the eyes and teeth. Other than that, it looks very good!

Oh, wow, the teeth totally look green/not there in the pictures. I actually did do them up in a toothy yellowish white, but it's not showing here at all. The eyes, though, truly are terrible (and/or nonexistent), I know. I don't have the gumption to try anything approaching real eyes so I've flat-out been pretending they don't exist. Guess it's getting time to try it. Ack. They're just so blankityblankblank small!

• Like 1

Wow, haven't seen an old school troll in ages!

The claws, especially on the feet, should be more dirty ground brownish.

As it is, being all green and glossy, it looks like a mini dipped in slimy algae.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 1

Neat figure. I love those old school minis. I agree go a solid color. He looks pretty great, nice job on him

And regarding eyes. Your never going to get better at them with out practice. Do eet! They are the bane of my existance as well, so I always do them first. That way when I have to redo them fity gagillion times,I don't have to worry about screwing up the rest of my work.

• Like 3

And regarding eyes. Your never going to get better at them with out practice. Do eet! They are the bane of my existance as well, so I always do them first. That way when I have to redo them fity gagillion times,I don't have to worry about screwing up the rest of my work.

I really should start doing it this way; instead of having them be the last thing I do.

• Like 1

Beautiful job on a classic figure that looks just like that old Monster Manual drawing of yore! Don't be afraid of doing eyes, it, like everythings geta easier and better with practice. I think with this figure in particular it would be relatively easy because the troll eyes according to previously mentioned Manual says a troll's eyes are black. You could just paint them black, maybe do a highlight of grey or blue or purple or some dark elf skin, and if you wanted to get really bold, put a white dot on it somewhere.

• Like 1