I think for my next sculpting adventure I am going to revisit a thought I had months ago. A Fly spell effect for setting our PC figures on during game play.

airpedistal.jpg

I may make a few of them that are different heights. One .5", another 1", another 1.5".  Should be fun.   :D

• Like 16

I love your design. having multiple heights could be pretty cool too.

Around here, a lot of people use the clear part of a Chessex dice box (from a dice brick, or polyhedral set), which is effective, but not very attractive.

• Like 3

I like the general idea, but as a practical matter, I have characters flying directly above other characters all the time. I don't think this would work well in that situation, even though it's much prettier than the clear dice boxes and pizza-box middle supports I usually use.

• Like 1

I got the first round of decorative putty on. Learned some stuff along the way. There is a balance to find with how much putty to mix at one time. Still learning how the putty ages and how to manipulate the putty at which stage.  I'll file and shape the forms when the putty cures and add more putty where I think it's needed.

flypedestal_02.JPG

I imagine once it's done, I'll sculpt it a few more times to find new solutions to creating the forms I like.

Edited by DixonGrfx
  • Like 12

As I have contemplated how I can improve this project there are some things I am going to do a bit different in attempt 2.

1)  The coins worked ok as the start of the armature, but next time, I am going to start with plasticard cut in a square shape. then I'll glue coins together into a column for the center bulk and that will also keep the top level and parallel to the bottom. That should also provide enough mass to give the pedestal some weight.

2)  On the first attempt I sculpted on one side and worked my way around. Round 2, I will sculpt from the bottom up instead. 

3)  Next one I plan to tweak the proportions, not as wide and a bit taller.

4)  I still think that I am trying to refine the forms too soon. The putty may need to mature a bit longer before I start refining the forms.

This has been a fun challenge.

• Like 2

There is a balance to find with how much putty to mix at one time. Still learning how the putty ages and how to manipulate the putty at which stage. 

I've been sculpting for 4-1/2 years now and I'm still learning things about the curing properties of the putty and how to best use it to my advantage.  :rolleyes:   How much you need comes with time.  I don't over mix nearly as much now as I did in that first year.

Looking good.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...