Sign in to follow this  
Jasonator

Sir Kay Standing WIP (TBM3017)

I've selected Sir Kay standing as my next Miniature.

Bare faced so I get to practice face painting, and this is a tough one.

Mustache, and face is blocked by that right arm.  Right off the bat I see some

major challenges.  So lots to conquer here, in a one inch miniature.

I think Sir kay is going to be a mixture of purples, and silver, maybe my beloved

Gun Metal also for contrast with those Purples.

I've already started on him.  Primed, lined, and rudimentary face on him.

I also am painting as a senior knight (isn't that nicely politically correct)..LOL.

He's Old...His armor says that about him.

Here he is:

• Like 12

Jay, you need to get a cane in that outstretched hand instead and then get a couple of kids to paint up and put them on his lawn in a little diorama.  :poke:

• Like 2

Looking forward to seeing you paint another miniature. Oh how I wish I could even paint half as fast as you.

Marsya;

I really don't paint that fast, I just have time to paint.

I'm retired now, so when I get into a miniature, I can't spend hours on them.

I tend to be fairly organized, so I clear out paint time.

Chili in the crockpot can cook all day, and I can paint while it does the work.

Paint smarter, and speed is of no benefit :).

Brush control, Color control.. those are treasures for me.

Thanks for commenting !!

• Like 4

I sat down this morning after the coffee, and took out the "NEW" 10/0 brush.

This is the one that presented me with TWO wild hairs the first time I used it.

My beloved 000 brush is now reserved for only tough faces (since it has such few hairs

left on it)... semi retired.

I proceeded to put the base purple on Sir Kay's Doublet, and work around the key designs

on the Doublet and his shield.  The brush is now feeling some love after it performed well

on laying down a nice flat coat of purple. 

Keeping in mind that the mini is one inch tall, that shield is about 1/4 inch tall and 1/4 wide.

That brush needs a sharp point to get around those details without washing them out.

This is also where that Optivisor and a great light come VERY VERY handy.

Being slow and steady is paying off, I don't have to go over and correct mistakes, or cover

spils, and pools of paint !

Here is Sir Kay:

• Like 6

Giving the new brush a work out.

Started working on the metal armor, and getting that together.

Enriched the purple, and worked on the face some more.

The new brush MAY fulfill its obligations to it's predecessor, Jury is still out on that;

BUT, she is sitting there tired and slim to fill in if expectations aren't met.

Here is Sir Kay a bit further advanced !

• Like 5

Oh, I'm having nightmares about the keys on his chest, and the keys on his shield !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to do silver, but now I think Antique gold is more appropriate, since I still have to highlight

all that metal armor !

Oh, I'm having nightmares about the keys on his chest, and the keys on his shield !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to do silver, but now I think Antique gold is more appropriate, since I still have to highlight

all that metal armor !

I would go a different route with the keys. Giving them a metallic paint job will make it a bit somber imo. Might I suggest going a solid yellow with shadows going into orange and highlights going into a bright yellow? I'm only suggesting it because most heraldry is non-metallic colored and lean more toward the "flat" colors. Didn't most of the knights you've done so far had solid colors for them, if memory serves me?

• Like 1

all that metal armor !

I would go a different route with the keys. Giving them a metallic paint job will make it a bit somber imo. Might I suggest going a solid yellow with shadows going into orange and highlights going into a bright yellow? I'm only suggesting it because most heraldry is non-metallic colored and lean more toward the "flat" colors. Didn't most of the knights you've done so far had solid colors for them, if memory serves me?

Interesting !

In Heraldry Gold (Or) and Silver (Argent) are allowed as metal.. you just can't have those two metals touching each other.

Argent (Silver) is also displayed as White.

I think I will avoid all that, and paint the keys another color.. I wasn't thinking Heraldry, but artistic when I said the gold.

I'm going to give it a good thunk and see if I can come up with an alternative Heraldry color...Red is good, Yellow is good, but Orange is a no no.

• Like 1