• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He looks terrific. I also love the lighting rig and photo setup you use. It makes your minis appear very dynamic and shows off your painting skills very well.

Thanks.

The lighting rig I use is just a light box (I don't remember if it's that one or one that looks just like it).  I got some stronger lights for the sides after reading this tutorial.

I use a three point lighting setup.  When I've got a strong sense of lighting direction on a mini, I use a darker background (sometimes I think the lighter ones interfere with the effect).

The trick I've found with darker backgrounds is to adjust your camera settings so that the aperture is open for longer than the camera's automatic settings.  There's a lot of fiddling with it, and some of the pictures come out washed out, but as long as we get a few that work, it's all good.

Edited by odinsgrandson
  • Like 1

Beautiful smooth brushwork here. They way you got the blends on that skin tone is perfect and I like the palette you chose for him.. Also my eye really picks up on how well you did the placement of the highlights. Everything that should be in shadow is in shadow and the top of the figure gets all the focus.  Great work!

Beautiful smooth brushwork here. They way you got the blends on that skin tone is perfect and I like the palette you chose for him.. Also my eye really picks up on how well you did the placement of the highlights. Everything that should be in shadow is in shadow and the top of the figure gets all the focus.  Great work!

Thanks.

This mini was sort of an exercise in top down lighting.  

Then I realized that I was basically blending black to white in a very small area and could have picked something easier to practice with.

I actually declared him finished a while ago, but really didn't like how he had come out (some of the blending was really bad) so I went back and finished him properly.

• Like 1