alternative to paper towels and spray primer question/airbrush

gr33n

First and prob easiest to answer...

- im confident in saying that the paper towel i use to lose water/wipe brush is rubbing small hairs of the towel off on my brush which then go on the model. are there any nice alternatives to this? some super thing sponge similar to my wet pallet sponge or something?

- primer problem. im noticing sometimes with my GW primer it goes on in cracks/rougher texture than id like which creates problems late. im wondering if there are any nice alternatives to spray primer that i can keep smooth and not clog details?

- is airbrushing the best method to prime models? was considering buying one purely for this (and maybe to "cheat" power weapon blending heh)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• You can buy lint-free washcloths which work excellently for this purpose.

I personally suggest Reaper's own Brush-On Primer. It goes on very nicely and thinly.

I've never used an airbrush, but brushing the primer on by hand is quick enough for me unless you're doing a whole army at once or something.

• Like 3

I've used an air brush to push brush on primer on to minis, and it works well, but I tend to use it only when I'm priming multiple models. For one or two I stick with just brushing on. 

For wiping my brush I use a small damp sponge in a dish. When it gets grody just wash it out. 

I've been using damp paper napkins which have surprised me with how well they work.  An option some use are coffee filters.  I also do a lot of my brush forming and wiping on my wet palette (parchment paper).

Airbrushing I'm told is the best way to apply primer, but I use aerosol spray -- Tamiya fine surface primer, but that's only on metal.  I'm told Duplicolor spray primers work about the same.  Vallejo Game Color brush-on primer works very well, too.

For Bones, a thin paint like Reaper's brown liner ought to work well.  I know some aerosols make Bones sticky and never dry, but I haven't tried my sprays on them.

• Like 1

I use coffee filters as a replacement for paper towels.  Cheap and easy to get.

I also have been trying out the new Badger primer Stynylrez.  Comes in black, white and grey.  Normaly spray it through my airbrush, but i have also tried it with just a brush and it worked just fine.

• Like 2

Don't use spray primer on Bones. Don't use GW spray primer at all.

Meg Maples, astounding paintress, talks about primers here:

http://arcanepaintworks.blogspot.com.au/2014/10/lessons-in-priming.html

EDIT: I much prefer a spray primer for metals. They just seem more durable.

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 2

• You can buy lint-free washcloths which work excellently for this purpose.
  • I personally suggest Reaper's own Brush-On Primer. It goes on very nicely and thinly.
  • I've never used an airbrush, but brushing the primer on by hand is quick enough for me unless you're doing a whole army at once or something.

ok i will try the reaper stuff out. lint free washcloth eh. any suggestions for priming an entire army? when i painted "armys" 10 years ago i wasnt NEAAARLY the painter i am now so i never noticed issues like this and actually the spray primer worked great when it was new. when it got down to about 1/3 it just turns to crap

any place you suggest sell the "best lint free washcloths" or just any will do

also tyvm for the tamiya suggestion im ordering grey AS WE SPEAK.... caps

i use coffee filters for thermal paste so im familiar with them and they dont absorb that much water being as thin as they are but the washcloth lint free seems good ill try that and see how it goes

Edited by gr33n

1.  Lint free...  I bought a chamois in the Walmart automotive area. Works beautifully.

2. If your going to prime Bones, be sure to test on figures you dont care about. John Banoot recommends a light dusting with Tamiya primer.

3. I have an airbrush and it is fantastic for quickly painting or priming figures.  Love it.