alternative to paper towels and spray primer question/airbrush

• You can buy lint-free washcloths which work excellently for this purpose.
  • I personally suggest Reaper's own Brush-On Primer. It goes on very nicely and thinly.
  • I've never used an airbrush, but brushing the primer on by hand is quick enough for me unless you're doing a whole army at once or something.

ive never used brush on primer. do you thin it at all with water or anything else?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a paper towel (Bounty brand) and don't have any issues with small hairs/fibers.  Maybe use a different brand?  Could also be your environment.

I don't know if I'd recommend getting an airbrush just for priming, especially since the costs should include a compressor and a ventilation system (you don't want to be breathing the out spray).  

That said, I do airbursh prime most of the time now.  I was using Reaper Brush On Primer through my airbrush, but I recently tried the Badger Minitaire primer, and I like it.

Ron

• Like 1

Do not thin the Reaper brush on, use it straight from the bottle.  Shake it very well first. 

im gonna test on some crappy models first but why is it a bad idea to thin a little? i have visions of brush strokes being left but then again ive never used paint on primer so

I use cardboard for wiping and table-protection.  I use an airbrush for nearly all my priming and some basecoating (especially for certain tricky colors).  There's a lot more you can do with airbrushes that I'm still learning, but one of my other favorite things is directional highlighting.  If you're painting an army, that could be a great way to get contrast quickly and easily.

Do not thin the Reaper brush on, use it straight from the bottle.  Shake it very well first. 

im gonna test on some crappy models first but why is it a bad idea to thin a little? i have visions of brush strokes being left but then again ive never used paint on primer so

Its pretty thin right out of the bottle; I think there's just no need to thin it.

I use cardboard for wiping and table-protection.  I use an airbrush for nearly all my priming and some basecoating (especially for certain tricky colors).  There's a lot more you can do with airbrushes that I'm still learning, but one of my other favorite things is directional highlighting.  If you're painting an army, that could be a great way to get contrast quickly and easily.

i kinda feel airbrush is cheating. ive seen the blends it can do and the time it saves just its not for me

I remember from my limited experiences with a cheapo airbrush far too many years ago for me to really be happy about, that it's a skill like any other.    You can do amazing blends with it, but you can also do amazing blends without one.    You can also do a horrible job with or without... it's a matter of preference, talent and practice.     Not that I'm particularly good without one, but I am happier with a brush in hand.

I haven't had an issue with Reaper brush on primer, thinned or not... though thinned, sometimes I feel like I need to go back over some areas whether or not it's truly needed. 

I remember from my limited experiences with a cheapo airbrush far too many years ago for me to really be happy about, that it's a skill like any other.    You can do amazing blends with it, but you can also do amazing blends without one.    You can also do a horrible job with or without... it's a matter of preference, talent and practice.     Not that I'm particularly good without one, but I am happier with a brush in hand.

I haven't had an issue with Reaper brush on primer, thinned or not... though thinned, sometimes I feel like I need to go back over some areas whether or not it's truly needed. 

well primer is only supposed to be a light coat so paint sticks i believe anyway