alternative to paper towels and spray primer question/airbrush

gr33n

I am currently using a small sheet of EPE foam to wipe off excess paint off my brush. The white closed cell foam sometimes use as packaging material, not styrofoam. EPE is more resilient.

polyethylene4_tn.jpg

I always felt any absorbent material takes off too much paint for my taste. Used blister foam for a while there, then I read one pro-painter's reason for unloading his brush on his hand/skin. The creases of his skin allows him to judge the flow of his paint. Decided on the EPE due to the similar texture.

I also have a small piece of damp cellulose sponge (sponge cloth), usually the same kind I use as my wet palette sponge, on my wet palette when I want to take off most of the paint and still keep the brush damp for blending or emergency clean up of stray brushstrokes.

I've also seen videos of pro-painters wipe off the excess paint on their mini holders or on the mini itself if it's not too much paint.

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a badger patriot 105 to prime, varnish, and seal the deal on figurines. I use a badger krome to base coat and do blends on cape, robes, and weapons. Airbrush reaper paints and also use Minitaire paints, there great too. Have many bad experience with can primer an sealers. you can control that problem with the airbrush, I got my set up for around $350, 2 airbrushes an tanked air compressor. Once you learn how to use it, it becomes another great tool. And using a airbrush is not cheating haters, because if that's cheating so is using a W&N S7 brush or any top end sable.

Edited by warped72

I use a badger patriot 105 to prime, varnish, and seal the deal on figurines. I use a badger krome to base coat and do blends on cape, robes, and weapons. Airbrush reaper paints and also use Minitaire paints, there great too. Have many bad experience with can primer an sealers. you can control that problem with the airbrush, I got my set up for around $350, 2 airbrushes an tanked air compressor. Once you learn how to use it, it becomes another great tool. And using a airbrush is not cheating haters, because if that's cheating so is using a W&N S7 brush or any top end sable.

:huh:

Who around here ever said using an airbrush was cheating?

• Like 1

I believe this is the post that claimed it was cheating.  But it is an old argument for those of us who've been around a while.  Nothing to get excited about.  Perhaps there are ways to cheat, but the airbrush is not among them.

I use cardboard for wiping and table-protection.  I use an airbrush for nearly all my priming and some basecoating (especially for certain tricky colors).  There's a lot more you can do with airbrushes that I'm still learning, but one of my other favorite things is directional highlighting.  If you're painting an army, that could be a great way to get contrast quickly and easily.

i kinda feel airbrush is cheating. ive seen the blends it can do and the time it saves just its not for me

• Like 1

Tools are tools and using a toothpick to dig a hole on the ground instead of a shovel is silly... I don't get that "airbrush is cheating" argument. Totally idiotic.

I once saw a minute (well, like a minute) of a known painting youtuber bashing the airbrush because of that. He even said "I can't use it well, but when people use the airbrush to do flawless blending is cheating" and I am like WTF? Have you tried to do it? Using an airbrush is difficult too, it is easier to do big surfaces and blends than a brush? YES. Is it easier for a brush to paint eyes? YES. So?

Makes me mad.

Edit: As for the original topic: I almost never get lint or particles out of my usual paper towels. Only sometimes, perhaps one (and is more likely something sitting on the mini that I neglected to blow enough before painting, or forgot to store between sessions). The airbrush is great for blowing off dust before starting, and other diminute hairs I can removed with a damp brush. Almost never happens TBH.

Edited by Willen

Most top end paint jobs, including all the ones that win awards, use airbrushes to at least lay down some of the base color and highlighting.  There's nothing wrong with this. 

In terms of how it looks I only care for the majority of an airbrush when it comes to buildings, vehicles and the like--manufactured things as those will have a near consistent look that natural things won't.  This, however, is 100% personal preference.

This whole idea that something is cheating is silly (I use to think that too when I first started painting), but it's perfectly ok to say you don't like how the finished product looks.  Same thing with other techniques.  Also, gasp, many use dry brushing too as it's a technique that perfectly fine to use especially for rocks and such.

• Like 1

I've had hour-long "discussions" with a painter after a painting contest where an airbrushed mini won the category. The phrase "can't compete with a machine" came up repeatedly.  <_<

While this was annoying, it was made more so by the fact that the painter in question was also not 2nd in that category. (He was at that stage where he couldn't see the difference between what he was painting and what better painters were painting.)

The same kind of thing comes up with decals pretty regularly (they're harder to use than most people think, and if they're obvious, they're not done well) and occasionally pre-printed banners. (I like to use pre-printed stuff, sometimes stuff that I drew myself, as the equivalent of an underpainting, at which point it's pretty difficult to tell what was done.)

Me? I don't care how you did what you did except that I'd like to know how I could do it too.  :poke:

• Like 2

I've had hour-long "discussions" with a painter after a painting contest where an airbrushed mini won the category. The phrase "can't compete with a machine" came up repeatedly.  <_<

While this was annoying, it was made more so by the fact that the painter in question was also not 2nd in that category. (He was at that stage where he couldn't see the difference between what he was painting and what better painters were painting.)

The same kind of thing comes up with decals pretty regularly (they're harder to use than most people think, and if they're obvious, they're not done well) and occasionally pre-printed banners. (I like to use pre-printed stuff, sometimes stuff that I drew myself, as the equivalent of an underpainting, at which point it's pretty difficult to tell what was done.)

Me? I don't care how you did what you did except that I'd like to know how I could do it too.  :poke:

the thing is i know it takes skill i get it but from what ive seen i can produce the most insane blends in a MUCH quicker time with an airbrush than with a paintbrush. i think this just speaks to the time you save that can then be put back into doing a better job.

i glaze highlight. ive recently switched to wet palette and what ive come to understand is simply if i put in 10 hours to a cloak, i can seemlessly transition a very dark color to a very light color but im willing to bet an airbrush can do that in half the time or less.

above all though i dont like how fully airbrushed stuff looks tho i admit the really high end jobs look incredible and i can see why people do it.

we are allowed to have a personal pref and an opinion.. thats just mine

Most top end paint jobs, including all the ones that win awards, use airbrushes to at least lay down some of the base color and highlighting.  There's nothing wrong with this. 

In terms of how it looks I only care for the majority of an airbrush when it comes to buildings, vehicles and the like--manufactured things as those will have a near consistent look that natural things won't.  This, however, is 100% personal preference.

This whole idea that something is cheating is silly (I use to think that too when I first started painting), but it's perfectly ok to say you don't like how the finished product looks.  Same thing with other techniques.  Also, gasp, many use dry brushing too as it's a technique that perfectly fine to use especially for rocks and such.

Mmm, actually that first line is not completely true. There are plenty of award winning miniatures by top end painters that have not had an airbrush used on them. That being said there are plenty that have as well just not all.

Other than that I completely agree, its just another tool, that can be used as skillfully as a paintbrush when you have practiced with it. 

the thing is i know it takes skill i get it but from what ive seen i can produce the most insane blends in a MUCH quicker time with an airbrush than with a paintbrush. i think this just speaks to the time you save that can then be put back into doing a better job.

i glaze highlight. ive recently switched to wet palette and what ive come to understand is simply if i put in 10 hours to a cloak, i can seemlessly transition a very dark color to a very light color but im willing to bet an airbrush can do that in half the time or less.

above all though i dont like how fully airbrushed stuff looks tho i admit the really high end jobs look incredible and i can see why people do it.

we are allowed to have a personal pref and an opinion.. thats just mine

Opinions are fine, just don't assign super human capabilities to it there are things that a paint brush does much better than an airbrush.

• Like 1

...i glaze highlight. ive recently switched to wet palette and what ive come to understand is simply if i put in 10 hours to a cloak, i can seemlessly transition a very dark color to a very light color but im willing to bet an airbrush can do that in half the time or less....

Glazing is not my favorite technique. However, with the right technique, and practice of course, a lot of painters can achieve close to the speed and result of airbrushing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcWAIbivk7c&list=UUMyleo6g75R-bvGsus2oI8Q Check out the wet-blending starting at around the 4:00 minute mark.

... but it is NOT easy to get insane blends with an airbrush, especially in tight spaces. And the masking can be a pain. I know I can do some things better with an airbrush, and some better with a brush. I don't like people thinking there is more or less merit to a tool or another (is wet-palette a "cheat" then? Using flow improver? wet-blending? etc).

Interesting thing is, however, all comments I've heard of people downplaying the use of an airbrush are not those from what we can consider "master" painters. If anyone has a link to one pro painter dismissing the airbrush as a cheap shot at blending, please let me know. I have actually heard the opposite ("I thought this was like cheating, but it is actually quite hard and when I learnt to use it I could get good results" said by Spanish painter Volomir).

With practice and skill and passion, every tool can be mastered. Dismissing a paintjob based on the tool used IMHO is silly. If that's not the look you are getting, now that is a valid opinion  :blush:

• Like 2