Sign in to follow this  
Silvervane

Bones Mummy

To simplify things for me I decided start a separated thread for testing out possible mummy paint colors for my Giant Mummy Diorama. Ordered a pack with my last reaper order but thought I start with the one from my KS1.  Mixed some Brown Liner with RMS Matt Sealer to make a wash to bring out the details.  Glued down some sand to the base to test out Foundry's Sand color triad as well.

post-12625-0-89076000-1414594565.jpg

• Like 12

Nice!

I've been debating on whether or not to use that particular mini for a upcoming game.

decisions decisions decisions :)

• Like 2

So I've learned (but not accepted) that reasonably quick means several days.  Made some progress as a test run on color.  Used Foundry's Raw Linen to paint the bandages.  They use a triad system but color name has an A = shade B= mid-tone C = highlight.  So I based the bandages in Raw Linen A.  Put a wash of Raw linen A with RMS Brown Liner 1:1.  I then highlighted up from there on the arm to test the color.  With the highest highlight being a mix of Raw Linen C with RMS White.

post-12625-0-90002200-1414712346.jpg

• Like 8

Little bit more work done on the Bones Mummy.  I did mention this was a learning piece right.  I like the coloring somewhat, I think next time I'm going to go with my usual midtone - shade - highlight method of painting rather than the shade up to highlight I attempted with this one.  So here is a quick shot of my progress.

post-12625-0-24148200-1414897753.jpg

• Like 8

The mummy is looking great it may need a bit more shading on the bandages around the waist compared to the others.

Either way a great paint scheme.

I agree, Did some shading in that area and some touch ups in some others.  No photo yet.  Plan to bring up the highlights at least one more level and see how that looks.

Ok here is my progress so far on the Bones Mummy, with a hopefully slightly better photo.  Still need to decided on how to paint the skin.  I also think I need to increase the contrast of the base color.

post-12625-0-95801200-1415056985.jpg

C & C are always welcome.

• Like 6

I've got 2 more mummies I plan to paint up to practice before I continue on with my Thog - Mummy Lord Project.  So I followed the Miniature Mentor Basing Video to make a base for one on my bones mummies.  Here is a shot of its current progress.

post-12625-0-06703500-1415066232.jpg

And here is a shot of how I intend to pose the mummy after its finished painting.

post-12625-0-05404700-1415066241.jpg

• Like 5

Think I'm gonna call this one done.  Since it was just a test on color's w/ no fancy plans for base I'm not sure I'm going to post him in show off.  I like the way the eyes came out, even if after looking at them they look all wonky (they looked fine when I painted them).  Skin was ok, not sure how it reads advice or comments for the next one?

post-12625-0-71594300-1415152664_thumb.jpg

post-12625-0-79525900-1415152668_thumb.jpg

post-12625-0-38936900-1415152672_thumb.jpg

PS: I think I'm going to change my back drop.  Not sure if the grainy look is from that or my camera skills.

• Like 6

What colors did you use for his skin? It kinda looks like Reaper's Dusky Skin, with a touch of red. I could be way off :) , but that would be my guess. I think you could get away with some dark blues in his shadows on his skin and maybe even on the wraps a touch, to contrast the warm wrappings. I like his green eyes they work quite well with his colors. Maybe add just a high point of white to really make them appear glowy, with a little green glaze around the eye area.

Overall great job and I enjoyed seeing your process.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice Marsya,

Hmm, I hadn't thought about blue to darken the shadow instead of brown.  I like it.  I'll give that a go on the next one.  The skin tone was the RMS wood triad, thought it might contrast and stand out.  Hmm, makes me wonder how the drow skin triad might look. 

The eyes were RMS Sun Yellow with a dark green glaze applied over and a highlight of yellow. I was hesitant to add the white highlight for concern it might take away from the yellow-green but I see your point.

Edited by Silvervane
  • Like 1

On to Bones Mummy #2.  I didn't clean this one up as much.  I decided to go with the Mid-tone base coat approach.  This time a added RMS Ultramarine Blue shadow to the Foundry Raw linen shadow for the first second shadow.  I then did a final shadow between all the cloths with a mixture of RMS Ultramarine Shadow and Brown Liner.  Here is the result.

post-12625-0-37911600-1415234034.jpg

post-12625-0-33615100-1415234037.jpg

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MoonglowMinis
      The flickering glow of the torchlight illuminates the dusty, hieroglyphic-covered walls of the forgotten tomb.  Moonglow clings to his hat as he carefully scans for signs of the hidden entrance.  A small indentation betrays the location of a door in the stone wall.  Carefully, the adventurer pushes his way through.

The room is barren and dark, except for a single pillar of light shining down upon a small pedestal.  On top sits a small box.

Moonglow carefully crosses the chamber and approaches the box.  He lifts the lid and peers inside.

"Ah, there's my old minis!"

Who's Your Mummy?

Today I felt like sharing some more of my older work that hasn't been posted on the forums yet.  This time it's the Bones mummies that are getting the spotlight.

These mummies were one of my first large painting projects.  It seemed impressive at the time to be working on 8 things simultaneously.  They're a bit dusty from all the drybrushing, but I think they look the part, and I'm a fan of the red-gold color scheme I settled on.

More Photos beneath the spoiler:

These were a fun little set and were perfect adversaries when my players visited the City of Time and sought to stop a Lich's return to power.  After failing once an resetting the clock, they had to fight their way through a mummy-filled temple complete with crawling claws and sand-filling rooms to stop the Mummy Lord from returning to his former Lich status.

What's your favorite mummy encounter?
    • By Shadespyre
      Hello Reaper friends!  You might remember I did a whole tribe of Hill Giants on a display board, with hex bases?

This is my follow up to that, this time: Stone Giants.

Errrm, it all got a bit out of hand, and I'd LOVE some input from you all, please

This is where I'm at after a week and I'm a bit stuck tbh.

I think I need to decide more about what the "finish" will look like before I go a lot further. Once I cover that foam with more than paint it's going to be harder to make changes. I'm thinking of sort of "cladding" it in pieces of slate, with sculpted  bits / groundwork in the gaps?

I'd also love to hear suggestions for other miniatures and features to add to the scene to break up those big open rocky spaces. Current extra bits and bobs are just there for a sense of scale and how extra minis might "interrupt" or "enhance" the scene.

Some next steps though:
      - cork around the hexes on the platforms for the bases to fit into
      - some sort of "door frame"
      - "box in" the sides (which are cut out of a continuing mountainside, in my head at least)

Please, rain your ideas and encouragements upon me!

• By MoonglowMinis
      Help! I'm hating this paintjob.

I grabbed this demilich thinking it'd be a fun and easy paintjob. But everything I do makes me hate it more.

I was trying to go for a green flame look, so yellow on the inside, and gradually darker green highlights on the outside. These were drybrushed and then cleaned up by hand. I think this is where the problem started because it's not reading as fire. It just looks like a blobby mess?

Should I just scrap it and start over with more of an ethereal glow that's darker in the middle and lighter on the edges?

I also am not happy with the base. I've never painted a 2D base before, I've always added some kind of texturing material. And although I'm reasonably satisfied with how the base looks on the summoning circle behind the demilich, it looks so bad on the demilich base. And I think my green glow isn't helping. 

And finally the Bones. I imagined that if there was a green light behind the Bones then they'd be tinted green and darker on the outside. Again .. this just doesn't look right.

I'm normally fairly confident in my painting abilities, but I think I've landed in unfamiliar territory and I'm just not sure how to salvage or proceed. What can I do?
    • By Maledrakh
      Nolzur's do make a few great monster minis, even though most -if not all- of their humanoid minis are too small, weedy and have too shallow detailing for my liking. Here is one:

Yep, a dead head.

50mm base.
      The main colour is Citadel Contrast Plaguebearer flesh, the rest is regular paint.

This mini was finished September 12th 2020.

Zombie Beholder
      Nolzur's Marvellous Miniatures, Wave 11 2020
      Wizkids
      I have no idea who sculpted this, as WizKids do not -as far as I know- publish this info.
      PVC,
      50mm base
    • By MoonglowMinis
      I've got more dead things for you today.  @Igormortis isn't the only one looking for some dirty dead!  Here's my little collection of swamp zombies.

The crowning jewel of this set is of course the Dreadmere Wight from Bone 4 Dreadmere.

He's got plenty of character packed into such a simple model.  I love him.

Along side him we have a repainted Zombie from D&D Giants of Legend prepaints (#40).

I've had this guy for ages, way before i learned to play D&D or ever picked up a mini brush.  His paintjob was pretty bland and I definitely think I (un)livened him up.  Would make a great shaman-type mini.

And filling out the horde we have the Zombies from the Castle Ravenloft board game.  Again.  Rather bland sculpts, but I like them a lot more now.  Their weird posture was the inspiration for the swamp theme as I imagined them pulling themselves up out of the muck.

All together, they're a fun thematic set and add for some variety to my dusty Graveyard Zombies.

Which one do you like best?
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)