Getting to Know Each Other Better

TaleSpinner

You have kids, make them shovel!

I've been looking for a shovel for him, but they don't may one for someone under 2 1/2 feet tall.

Yes they do.  The collapsable ones that you carry in your car trunk work great.

My kids started shoveling the driveway when they were 3.  They thought it was fun.  My oldest is now 8 and hasn't figured out that it's work.  Three years ago my daughter pitched a fit because I finished the driveway before she could come out and help, so I had to shovel snow back into the driveway so she could help.  I swear I will commit unspeakable acts of horror if any of you ruin it.  

They feel the same way about raking.

I grew up in upstate NY. I shoveled the driveway and sidewalk solely for the pleasure of stacking the snow up in mounds on our yard side of the walk and drive. Then I made a snow fortress out of the mounds with interconnecting tunnels. I did this up until I realized that my parents would pay me to shovel, then I got paid to make a snow fort.

Fine, you've convinced me!  Now if he'd only hurry up and learn to walk.

Just get a Tonka bulldozer.  Until he can walk, he can crawl and push :lol:

• Like 2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh..I forgot the most INTERESTING PART OF NJ..  You enter the state via a bridge over the delaware or the Hudson River usually.. There is NO toll on the bridges... You leave the state, and you have to pay a toll !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  They have enacted a "Relocation Tax" in New Jersey.. So many people are FROM here, that they now tax you when you leave !!!!!!!!!!!!  Nuff Said.

S'true. I live perhaps 5mi from the PA/Jersey border (aka the Delaware River). Free to go across to NJ, not free to come OUT of NJ!

Damon.

• Like 1

I am a Mass Hole...The drivers, I could do without, but to be honest, because of their hyper aggression, I really have no fear of driving anywhere else.

Having learned to drive in Massachusetts, I thought the same until I moved to Phoenix. In Massachusetts, the drivers are aggressive but predictable: you know they're going to cut you off. In the two months we've been in Arizona, I've had multiple near-misses, and seen at least one major accident a week within a 15-mile radius of home. My wife was going to finally get her driver's license while we're here (grew up near NYC and then we lived in Scotland without a car, so it's the first chance she's really had), but now refuses to because of the local drivers. They're just dangerously inconsistent, especially with respect to turning lanes at large intersections.

You have kids, make them shovel!

I've been looking for a shovel for him, but they don't may one for someone under 2 1/2 feet tall.

Yes they do.  The collapsable ones that you carry in your car trunk work great.

My kids started shoveling the driveway when they were 3.  They thought it was fun.  My oldest is now 8 and hasn't figured out that it's work.  Three years ago my daughter pitched a fit because I finished the driveway before she could come out and help, so I had to shovel snow back into the driveway so she could help.  I swear I will commit unspeakable acts of horror if any of you ruin it.  

They feel the same way about raking.

I grew up in upstate NY. I shoveled the driveway and sidewalk solely for the pleasure of stacking the snow up in mounds on our yard side of the walk and drive. Then I made a snow fortress out of the mounds with interconnecting tunnels. I did this up until I realized that my parents would pay me to shovel, then I got paid to make a snow fort.

Fine, you've convinced me!  Now if he'd only hurry up and learn to walk.

Just get a Tonka bulldozer.  Until he can walk, he can crawl and push :lol:

Yeah ... can't crawl yet either.  Maybe by the big spring storms.  I'll keep it in mind.

I'm okay with Winter, but I really love Fall which to me ends after Thanksgiving. 

I live in the North Dallas area, McKinney Texas.

My house is practically on the same street as Reaper, only 23 miles down the road. That's a 40 minute drive with all the stop lights. The street is called Teasley Lane on their end and Eldorado Parkway on mine. That's reason enough to live where I do. But I do have a good job that allows me the funds to shop at Reaper fairly often. And hey, it's Texas! I love the folks here, very cordial for the most part. Bible belt 'n all. Plus, Dallas never hurts for sporting events or entertainment. Really the only things I don't like about living here are that the allergens are off the chart and that you really have to drive a long ways to see mountains or really lush vegetation.

• Like 4

And hey, it's Texas! I love the folks here, very cordial for the most part. 

tell me about it. I was always of the oppinion that Texans all believed themselves to be larger than life, and full of themselves. When I was down there for last Reapercon, I was blown away by how nice everyone was. 

I am a Mass Hole...The drivers, I could do without, but to be honest, because of their hyper aggression, I really have no fear of driving anywhere else.

Having learned to drive in Massachusetts, I thought the same until I moved to Phoenix. In Massachusetts, the drivers are aggressive but predictable: you know they're going to cut you off. In the two months we've been in Arizona, I've had multiple near-misses, and seen at least one major accident a week within a 15-mile radius of home. My wife was going to finally get her driver's license while we're here (grew up near NYC and then we lived in Scotland without a car, so it's the first chance she's really had), but now refuses to because of the local drivers. They're just dangerously inconsistent, especially with respect to turning lanes at large intersections.

I've been in Phoenix many times and you're right that it's the mix of different driving styles that's the problem, IMO. You have a large population of young people who average fairly aggressive mixed with a large population of retired drivers who tend to be very cautious and to have poorer reflexes on average. There tends to be a wide spread of speeds on the roads (that are more inadequate for the traffic than in most areas, because of rapid population growth), and you can't trust that the next driver will be anything like the last.

And to top it all off, the timid drivers frustrate the aggressive drivers and the aggressive drivers anger the timid drivers.

It's a mess.

• Like 1

Question 20: Where do you live and what makes it worth living there?

Cincinnati. Most of my friends and family are here. My career is here. There's great beer here, as well as immediately across the river. KITH had a character from here. It's home here.

Oh yeah, the beer. The beer in Wisconsin also helps make the state worthwhile as well.

• Like 3

I am a Mass Hole.  Born and raised.  I currently live and work as a teacher in Lowell.  Grew up on the South Shore.  I love New England.  In 1-2 hours I can go from beaches to mountains to universities to fine dining to pubs to museums.  I love my 4 seasons.  I love the Fall and Winter the most.  I love the history.  The drivers, I could do without, but to be honest, because of their hyper aggression, I really have no fear of driving anywhere else.

Heh. I learned to ride a bike on the streets of Cambridge. My husband, a Manhattan boy, thought drivers in New York were bad. I laughed (kindly) at his naïveté. Once we actually visited Cambridge he conceded my point.

• Like 2

After recently starting to bike, driving a car is nearly peaceful. Suddenly everything is intended for me! I drive defensively anyway, so bad traffic isn't too problematic, really. Then again, this is little Norway ;)

Q20

I live in Trondheim, Norway. What keeps me here is the university (the place to go for engineering in Norway, soon finished), and my girlfriend. Who is getting her PhD at the same place ;)

The mountains and scenery is nice, especially as a backdrop to bicycle trips in the summer. The town is large enough (~180k inhabitants) for a gaming store and club, but not too large :) A lot of students!

It could, however, be warmer.. 

• Like 4

Mega Catch-up answer bonanza! :D Still not up to date, but it is a start!

Question 1: What is your real name (first only is OK)?

Petter. It is the Norwegian version of Peter. I am rather fond of my last names, which are both geographical. The first is the place where my grandfather grew up, where I've been on vacation every summer. The last is the farm-name in the area where I grew up (as well as my father and his side of the family). Fond of both places :)

Question 2: Where is the most amazing place you have ever gone and why, and where, if money and time were not an issue, would you most want to go and why?

I think that must (still) be the fjord where my grandfather grew up. Some vacations there have been good, some have been the best! I remember the first time I went there alone, all stressed out and tired of people. 4 days alone in the cabin, almost alone in the fjord. Clean water and air. Books. Guitar. This makes me want to go!

I am not sure on the money and time thing. Possibly a long trip to my good friend in Chigago, and round-trip on the american gaming cons? 

Question 3: What is the most memorable*/favorite costume** you have ever worn?

Hmm, I am not sure. I'm not in costume that often, sadly. There was the incident with the band in high school, tho.. We agreed to play in pretty regular cloths, denim pants and normal black t-shirts. Nothing special. Then, 3 hours before the thing, the other guys call me. They had raided the wardrobe of the bass-players little sister, including pink tank tops.

So, just before I left for the event, I grabbed some stuff. I played in my open leather jacket, this see-through tank top "helsetrøye" thing and my white pants. I ended up using a studded belt for a hair-band and was written on with lip stick here and there. Fabulous!

Weekend Question 1: List five adjectives that best describe your personality.

This is a hard one! Sorry in advance for any non-adjectives.

Introvert

Whimsy

Intelligent

Indecisive

Question 4: What was the first mini you ever painted (pictures/links if you can), and what is the story behind your choosing to paint it and start this hobby? 

D&D. I had considered getting minis for some time, but it seemed really expensive. I saw the bones line (and the ended kickstarter) and figured that could be a fun hobby, and not all that expensive. Waltzed into the local FLGS and said "I want to paint a mini, any starter sets?" and was handed the goblin startsett for the hobbit:

post-9309-0-59309900-1367782332_thumb.jpg

(And now I am hooked, playing WarmaHordes, and have used way too much money on this hobby. I will probably spend more. Oh, and I use way more time on minis than D&D these days..)

Question 5: What do you do for a living?

I'm studying for my Master's, soon to be finished. My degree is a Master of technology, with a focus on physics. I write my masters degree on droplet deformations in laser light.

No job found yet, not much seeking it yet, either. I'll find something, but job-searching when tired of working on the Master neither seems like a good idea, nor very appealing.

Question 6: Do you have any pets, and, if so, tell us about them?

No pets. My family has this adorable dachshound called Laffen. He is rough-haired (dunno the english here) wirehaired, and is used fior roe deer hunting in the fall.

Question 7: If you won a Design Your Own Mini (DYOM) reward, what would you want created?

A silver dragon in human form. Indicated however the sculptor wishes, for example by being in mid-morf between the forms.

Question 8: What was your introduction to miniatures and the surrounding hobby?

Random miniatures used for D&D, and the wargaming guys at our local con :) When I started painting, I attended some miniature painting nights at the FLGS, but they ended quite quickly.

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 4