Getting to Know Each Other Better

TaleSpinner

Like Falstius and Qwyk, I live in the Boston area. (I live west of the city, but inside the Rte 128 belt.)

There are a lot of cool things about Boston, including the history and culture of the city, the ocean, all the universities, autumn, etc. But, to be honest, I live here because I am a native New Englander, and it's home. Most of my oldest friends live in the area, as does my immediate family. Last night I got to have dinner with someone who's been one of my best friends since we were both 5, which I try to do at least monthly. We were joined by another friend who we have 'only' known since high school. It would be hard to give that up.

It helps that there is a thriving high tech sector in Boston to keep me employed. If there wasn't, I might be forced to move some place else. (Probably to the SF Bay area.)

I just presume that everyone else on the road is out to get me, and act accordingly.

I actually agree with Falstius. Boston drivers are rude, aggressive and maddening, but there are patterns. After spending so many years driving here, I find the traffic entirely predictable, but I can't imagine what it would be like for somebody to come here fresh and unprepared.

• Like 3

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 6: Do you have any pets, and, if so, tell us about them?

No pets. My family has this adorable dachshound called Laffen. He is rough-haired (dunno the english here).

Do you mean "wirehaired"? That would be lovely.

When I was a kid we had a dog who was a cross of a German shepherd and a wirehaired terrier. One of his grandparents was a white German shepherd, and he had a lovely coat of wirey white hair.

• Like 1

Yup, wirehaired it is! 

He is fun to look at after running around in the roe deer hunt. Completely and fully tired, not interested in doing anything. Will complain if you try to take him for a walk xD

Sounds like a pretty dog :)

• Like 4

Question 20 - 

I live in Virginia about 20 miles south of Washington DC. I've lived here all my life, except for college, which was in nearby Maryland.

Yes, it is expensive. Yes, politics seems to be part of the air and water (you learn to tune it out if it isn't your thing). Yes, the traffic is awful, and the Metro seems to break down and be congested daily. But there are a lot of good things, including:

• Smithsonian museums - free knowledge and culture. I have not been to every museum and gallery, but I will some day. Living so close by makes me take it for granted I could always hop on the train and go. Did I mention admission is free?  ^_^
  • History - DC itself, Mount Vernon (George Washington), Harper's Ferry, battlefields, all within an hour or two drive.
  • Mountains and water nearby - yes, I know the Appalachians are mini-mountains to you westerners, but they still count! The ocean isn't far away. We get fresh seafood...
  • Like 4

Some of the best people I've ever met are from Texas or Oklahoma. Lots of good people there.

I find most people are nice if you expect it, treat them courteously, and take them at their own level. The style in the urban northeast is very different than the style in farming communities in the midwest, but once you adjust, people are mostly people and generally decent.

• Like 6

Question 20: Where do you live and what makes it worth living there?

Phoenix Arizona. The lack of snow, yet being able to drive just over an hour to gettp snow if we want. Also, the beach os a car ride away and my family is mostly nearby.

Do you drive through California, or Mexico to get to the beach by car?

Oh there is plenty of beach in AZ, what they are missing is the water, but the beaches are HUGE!

There is a puddle some where right?

Questions 21-22: What are you doing for Thanksgiving and have you any special family Thanksgiving traditions you'd like to share with us?

There will not be a question tomorrow as I will not be in a position to post one.

My apologies to those of you not in the US for these questions.  Yes, I do realize that Thanksgiving is a USA holiday (though I think some of you have a similar holiday on a different date).  So for those of you abroad, here's your question:

ROW Question 21-22: Does your country have any holidays that you celebrate that we Americans do not and what are your traditions surrounding them?

• Like 1

Q21-Q22:  Nope, we're pretty boring.  Just family and food.  Oh, I do put up the Christmas decorations the day after though.  If I have the time and energy after I might paint my shiny new Tyrannocyte!   ::D:

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3

Q21-22

I go to my mom's for Thanksgiving, and violate most rules of propriety at the dinner table along with my 3 brothers (or how ever many are able to join us for dinner).  This includes politically incorrect humor, actually passing food, etc.  My mom was so thrilled when we started bringing girls home, that eventually became wives, thinking it would actually make us act civilized.  Silly mom.  :lol:  We usually arrive around 1.  Have appetizers.  Dinner is usually 2:30.  Then we go upstairs and watch football.  During dessert we draw names out of a hat for Christmas presents.  We decided about 6 years ago that it would be easier to just draw names and only have to shop for one sibling or in-law instead of all of us.  The only real tradition we have are my brothers begging my wife to make her apple crisp despite her apple allergy, my mom demanding typed Christmas lists from all of us, yet always managing to forget her own, and my mother burning the biscuits.

• Like 4

Questions 21-22: What are you doing for Thanksgiving and have you any special family Thanksgiving traditions you'd like to share with us?

Have a couple we are close with coming over (they are bringing a few things for food), my mother-in-law is bringing over the three minions (nieces/nephew) and a small turkey, my wife is cooking a few things and we got a ham from the Honeybaked Ham Company. Should be fun, no traditions, just food and family/friends.

• Like 2

For Thanksgiving, I generally avoid my relatives like the plague, and instead make a point of celebrating the holiday in a traditional fashion with my loved ones, instead.

When possible, I also make a point of watching Blood Freak, the only horror movie about a drug-addicted wereturkey, but my loved ones usually prevent me from doing so, for the sake of their own sanity.

http://io9.com/in-blood-freak-marijuana-and-mutant-turkeys-lead-to-aw-1661380945

• Like 2

I typically go home to my parents, and have dinner with my siblings and their families.  No other traditions other than eating too much and passing out on the couch/armchair.  Turkey of course is the main course (we save the ham for Christmas)

As it should be. I've never understood people who've gotten over the leftovers in time to do it all over again for Christmas. Make mine a Christmas ham, every time.

Although Christmas steaks are not unheard of at Castle Bedlam...

• Like 1