Getting to Know Each Other Better

TaleSpinner

My wife's parents rent a beach house every Thanksgiving to get the family together, and all 19 of us usually make it for the weekend.  The great thing about the beach house is that it's only 45-60 min away from my house, so I get to sleep in my own bed (because I have to take care of the animals) and still enjoy their company.

In terms of food traditions, I have periodically been threatened to be turned away if I don't show up with my honey pecan pie.  I started making my pecan pie because my dad complained that most pecan pies that he had were too sweet.  In 24 years of making the honey pecan pie, I only tried it once, about 11 years ago, and I confirmed that I don't like pecan pie.   ::D:

Ron

PS:  I do love pecans.  I love things with pecans in them like my pecan praline shortbread.  I just detest pecan pie.

Most Pecan pies are a brown sugar [?] corn syrup goop pie with a layer of Pecans floating on the filling. Why is it never a pie with Pecans in-the-filling?

Here is an interesting idea: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2013/11/27/maple_pecan_pie_recipe_no_you_do_not_need_to_buy_corn_syrup_every_thanksgiving.html Pecan pie that employs Maple syrup instead of corn syrup.

Do you make a tidy pattern with the Pecans on the top? Like this:

302764.jpg Never seen one like this in real life.

@Qwk:  PÉ™h-khan. Definitely PÉ™h-khan.  (whaddya tryin' to do? restart the Civil War or something...?)

• Like 2

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maple syrup for a pecan pie? Yeesh. It's Southern food; try molasses.

Not that I don't like maple syrup in general, mind you...but molasses feels more "right" to me when it comes to proper Southern cookin'.

And yet the South is the only place that when I ask for walnuts on my Hot Fudge Sunday, they use walnuts soaked in maple syrup.  :wacko:

(or is VA not really The South.  Not sure, I've been told that southern FL isn't The REAL South but that northern FL is, it's so confusing)

• Like 1

Q20/21

As a Norwegian, I don't celebrate thanksgiving :P I do enjoy online black friday sales ;) Is Christmas more important to you guys than Thanksgiving?

I guess a mandatory mention of the 17th of May is in order. The 17th of May is the Norwegian Constitution Day. We have children parade the streets with marching bands. There are also public parades, in Trondheim both the gaming club (Hexagon) and the Stormtrooper guys have their own banners! :D We typically eat a lot of hot dogs and ice cream.

While I grew up in Fredrikstad, we invited the neighbours for dinner (usually some BBQ). There was a traditional football match: children vs grown-ups.

When I've moved to Trondheim,we typically go to see the parades, and meet up with friends in town. Some years we organize "17th of May-breakfasts" before the parades. The "breakfast" typically consists of hot dogs and cakes, tho..

Apart from that, I don't think we have holidays that you guys don't. People often take 24-31 of december of work, even though only the 25 and 26 are public holidays, along with the last half of the 24th. (Then again, I am a student. )

Edited by Dibbler
  • Like 3

Maple syrup for a pecan pie? Yeesh. It's Southern food; try molasses.

Not that I don't like maple syrup in general, mind you...but molasses feels more "right" to me when it comes to proper Southern cookin'.

And yet the South is the only place that when I ask for walnuts on my Hot Fudge Sunday, they use walnuts soaked in maple syrup.  :wacko:

(or is VA not really The South.  Not sure, I've been told that southern FL isn't The REAL South but that northern FL is, it's so confusing)

Everything below CT is the south.  Everything below DC is the "Deep" South :lol:

• Like 2

Most Pecan pies are a brown sugar [?] corn syrup goop pie with a layer of Pecans floating on the filling. Why is it never a pie with Pecans in-the-filling?

Do you make a tidy pattern with the Pecans on the top? Like this:

302764.jpg Never seen one like this in real life.

@Qwk:  PÉ™h-khan. Definitely PÉ™h-khan.  (whaddya tryin' to do? restart the Civil War or something...?)

@Qwk: definitely Peh-khan.

Oh heavens, no.  I'm not going to eat the pecan pie, so I'm definitely not going to spend my time carefully laying out the pecans.   :;):

Most pecan pies don't have enough pecans in them.  And those pecan pies that have lots of pecans, most of the pecans end up floating to the surface anyway because they end up being lighter than the "liquid" portions (white sugar, light corn syrup, honey, eggs, melted butter, vanilla in my case).

Ron

Not sure, I've been told that southern FL isn't The REAL South but that northern FL is, it's so confusing)

Truth. Pretty much everything below the I-4 corridor isn't the south anymore, with the exception of communities that lie in the Central Highlands (yes I know that's a bit of an oxymoron being Florida, but it is a place).

• Like 1

Questions 21-22: What are you doing for Thanksgiving and have you any special family Thanksgiving traditions you'd like to share with us?

Nope, usual stuff. Where we diverge from the mainstream is Christmas Day dinner... When my grandmother was still alive, rather than having ham or whatever other people had for dinner, we instead had stuffed shells and/or gnoccis with Italian sausage. Much better meal in my mind IMHO!

Damon.

• Like 2

Questions 21-22: What are you doing for Thanksgiving and have you any special family Thanksgiving traditions you'd like to share with us?

My aunt is hosting the dinner this year, so four generations are going to head there to hang out. No real traditions, but apparently there's enough of a pattern that my aunt sent out this in an email: "What kind of beer should i get?  I'm a Bud light girl, but I know some of you (Jeff) like strange beer." I guess they've figured me out. I'll be supplying my own New Glarus Raspberry Tart, if you must know.

• Like 4

Typically we have the standard traditional Thanksgiving luncheon where everyone brings a dish. This year we were supposed to travel to my parents home and stay for the weekend. But our lodging plans feel through and I ended up traveling for work the first half of this week. We canceled the trip to my parents, are staying home and having a hobby weekend. I'm painting and sculpting. My wife is throwing pottery on the wheel. The kids are veging out watching the Hobbit movies and will watch the Lord of the Rings movies later. Its Bagel Bites for lunch and waffles for dinner. I will also be watching the Cowboys game, my father-in-law got tickets to see the game at the stadium. Cool for a one time thing, but I much prefer to watch at home.

My mom decided to not want to cook this year but my dad offered to take everyone out so off to Denny's here in about 2 hours. Really the only place left in town that would be open today.

As far as anything special. ....nope. Really just anther day around here.

Well I spent the morning painting, and now I'm at my parents house. Mom and I are watching the Lions win. While my brother and dad pretend football is not a thing.

As for traditions, we always make great grandma's rolls on thanksgiving and christmas.