Getting to Know Each Other Better

TaleSpinner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lasagna

My homemade meatballs ( fresh toasted bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt, pepper, and cayenne mixed thoroughly with ground beef)

Real, whole-milk, Buffalo mozzarella (made from the milk of the asiatic water buffalo)

Eastern NC barbecue (specifically from B's BBQ in Greenville, NC)

Dry roasted sunflower kernels

Like most have said this list is in no particular order and likely to change from day to day, so take it with a grain of salt.

B's BBQ is pretty darn good;  Parker's is too

My list in no particular order:

-a properly cooked rib eye

-Helena's kalua pork and laulau- the butter fish collar melts in your mouth.

-fried shrimp and flounder- Dixie Queen is my local go to restaurant

-Chick-fil-A nuggets and waffle fries w/ Polynesian Sauce

-hemp shake- hemp protien powder, whole milk, a banana, blueberries and a little bit of either cacao nibs or chocolate syrup

• Like 6

Hm... okay, in no particular order:

1. Bubba's "shrimp" speech from Forrest Gump. It saves time and text. Never met a shrimp I didn't like, unless it was raw.
2. Liver and onions. For some reason, a lot of people think that's gross, but my mom made great liver and onions; I've loved the stuff since I was a kid.
3. Top sirloin, medium rare, charcoal grilled, NOT fried. Gas grilled is acceptable, but not optimum.
4. Beer can chicken, made in a vertical smoker over a smoky wood or charcoal fire, preferably with dark beer or Guinness. Leaves a terrific flavor, much more so than American lagers (or Orange Crush, for that matter).
5. Mushrooms, preferably battered and deep fried, or stuffed with a blend including diced scallops or oysters and oven roasted.

There are others, but those are the top five at this particular moment. 

• Like 6

Kartoffelpuffer

Rindfleisch Rouladen mit Rotkohl und Aepfel

BBQ anything (meaning low 'n slow smoking, not grilled)

Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie

Bacon / pork belly

I could add more, but we were told 5, and I already cheated by adding a side dish to item 2. Ask me again in a week, and I'll probably swap something.

• Like 5

Ooh, tough one. Let's see...not in any particular order:

Spaetzel made to the family recipe

Any other pasta with cheese or vodka sauce

Any of my mother's Christmas cookies

Cheeseburgers (ideally, 6-8 oz hand-packed, medium rare, with muenster; bacon optional)

Cranachan (Scotch-infused whipped cream mixed with raspberries and toasted oats)

• Like 5

Hard to narrow to 5, but these are the ones that came to mind (in order that I'm likely to get them):

• Plain greek yogurt with frozen raspberries (or frozen mixed berries) and granola
  • A really good, warm crusty bread with butter
  • Apple or berry crisp / pie
  • Classic gruyere - emmentaler cheese fondue
  • Chicken peri peri (though I've not had a good one since I went to South Africa 15 years ago)

Ron

PS:  We should have a favorite desserts question sometime.  ;-)

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 2

I could add more, but we were told 5, and I already cheated by adding a side dish to item 2. Ask me again in a week, and I'll probably swap something.

Me too. My list isn't a static thing.

• Like 7

Oh good gonturzaps, I have to pick just five?! Okay, but this is going to hurt.

Chocolate. Of good quality and in many forms; dark chocolate is best, pudding is amazing, chocolate creme pie is divine, hot coco (not made w/ powder) is wonderful; but on NO ACCOUNT is any of it to be that fake stuff referred to as white chocolate. Disgusting.  <_<

Surf n' Turf. This is the easiest way to narrow down the "meat" category. Steak (medium rare) and shrimp are two of my favorite meat foods. Preferably served with potatoes and broccoli or green beans.

Tacos! Hard shell. Really like those dang doritos tacos from taco bell and wish they would sell the shells to the general public because my taco meat is waaaaaay better.

Homemade Soup/Stew. Usually made by me. I love soup. Throw everything in a pot, add water, cook for a while, and ta-da! Yumminess!

Thanksgiving Dinner. With a properly cooked (not dry) turkey, mashed taters, turkey gravy, green beans, cranberry sauce, cranberry relishes, and finished with pumpkin pie. Oh, so heavenly! It's soon! Joy! My favorite meal of the year! Christmas is only better because it has presents.  :wub:

There are many other things, like chili with beans, BBQ chicken, curry, BBQ pork, french toast, BBQ anything really, waffles, etc but the stipulation was five. Which seems a little mean given the vast variety delicious foods in the world.

Ted or Al?

It's difficult to say which would be worse  :blink:

ETA: Reaper store is working, first metal mini I ever bought: http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/druid/latest/03094

Edited by redambrosia
  • Like 5

• "A proper bowl of Texas Red (that's chili, for you uninitiated, and sans beans for you Yankee philistines..."  :blues: right there with you Sanael.)

Don't lump all of us in with those idjits.  My chili has always been bean free.  Of course, I scored 87% on that are you a southerner Facebook quiz and like 45% Texan on another, despite my whole life having been spent in Massachusetts and Maine.

My top 5 favorite foods:

1. Sushi
  2. Seafood in general, but favorites are a proper Fish and Chips, Ciopinno, Traditional Clam Bake (I am a New Englander), Wild Salmon.
  3. My wife's red sauce.  She would never be considered a good cook, by her own admission, and only cooks for survival.  I absolutely love her red sauce, and we use it for everything from lasagne, spaghetti and meatballs, pizza, etc.  She'd probably be shocked that I even include it in my top 5 favorites.
  4. Irish Bennie.  Eggs Benedict, but swap out the ham for Corned Beef Hash.
  5. Grilled food.  I am not picky.  If it has those beautiful grill marks, a smoky flavor, and is preferably meat, I'm in.  Bonus because it usually comes with beer as I stand next to the grill doing the "man poke meat over fire" bit.
  • Like 8