Getting to Know Each Other Better

TaleSpinner

Part of me is really tempted to go forward in time and see how my children grow up, but since that knowledge would impact how I live my life now, it's probably a bad idea.  Honestly I'd rather that instead of it being a physical teleportation that I could do a "Ghost of Christmas Past" routine.  Observe the 7 ancient wonders right as they were completed, see the highlights of the past couple of thousand years of human history with a spiritual guide.  Plus it would only take 1 night.  :;):

Being the father of two AWESOME children.

Don't rip yourself off of the constant amazing awesomeness that your kids will present you with.

Both of mine give me jaw dropping amazement every time I connect with them, and on occasion

they make me tear up with a simple memory, that I have forgotten.

Live today, tomorrow will unfold and amaze you with your children!

Edited by Jasonator
  • Like 6

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. Very tough one.

I'd love to go spend a year among a tribe of New England area Native Americans prior to the arrival of Europeans...but it probably wouldn't end real well for me.

If I could get some good surgery or regenerative treatment on my knees, I'd go study swordplay with either Favorini or Capoferro. Tough to decide which...or maybe Talhoffer. Or Angelo, or Silver.

Or I'd go swab the deck for Mary Read.

Or travel the Silk Road. That'd be cool. That'd be reeeeal cool. I think I just decided that's my answer. Join a caravan in Italy and travel east until it ends. That's what I'd like to do.

• Like 4

I'd go back to November 14th 2012 sometime before 6:30am and move the dead deer off the damned road before my brother in law had to swerve to miss it, causing him to lose control. My sister and her boys deserve to have him back with them.

Like for a selfless act using the TARDIS. It's hard to lose loved ones.

• Like 5

I ... I can't possibly narrow it down to one choice.

I agree.

I might get filthy rich. There might be rules about that, however. Either spoken out by the time-machine-handler, or implied. Going to get cash, missing out on an awesome trip, and then returning to find a note saying "oh, and by the way, I changed those lottery numbers", would suck.

I might go to the future, to see if the human race will persist. Will we handle global warming? The coming energy crisis? Check out the blog "Do the Math" for a lot of awesome questions here. How far to go, tho? 40k years to see space travel (hopefully)? 200 years to be able to warn about danger? How should I be able to turn the tides today - even if I knew that we HAD to start doing blahblah now?

Perhaps I could read some history in the year 2300, like which companies boomed when.. And combine the two!

History trip would be awesome. I'd love to meet my distant relatives, and see how they lived. I'l love to see my father and his friends in their youth. I could go back and check out Jesus' life. But what difference would it make? I'm not a believer, and I doubt that the pope would take my word for anyting. Perhaps the writing of the bible would be a better point in time..

Right some wrongs?.. Go back with a big fat bat, and a list of my childhood tormentors.. 

If I could get some good surgery or regenerative treatment on my knees, I'd go study swordplay with either Favorini or Capoferro. Tough to decide which...or maybe Talhoffer. Or Angelo, or Silver.

That would be possible with two trips! xD Trip1 : Year 3212 - get surgery. Trip 2 - swordplay :D

I'd go back to November 14th 2012 sometime before 6:30am and move the dead deer off the damned road before my brother in law had to swerve to miss it, causing him to lose control. My sister and her boys deserve to have him back with them.

Like for a selfless act using the TARDIS. It's hard to lose loved ones.

Great choice.

(Altough make sure to consult with the TARDIS operator first, to see if it is possible or not. Or if it will create problematic paradoxes.)

Question 11: If you suddenly had access to one free trip on a time and space machine, when and where would you go?

Narrowing this down to one choice is too difficult for me as well. The expectations are too high. It's like, you only get ONE TRIP in your entire life, so it has to be PERFECT. So you pick what you think will be the PERFECT place and time... what if you picked wrong? Anxiety ensues.

I would put ask the TARDIS to take me somewhere she thinks would be interesting and see what happens. Unexpected surprises are always the most interesting ones. ^_^

• Like 4

Qwik and Rhombus, you got me RIGHT in the feels.

But I'm a pessimist. I'd show up at the wrong tomb, or the wrong Judean hamlet, something like that... follow the wrong guy around, scribbling notes, turns out he was a fish salesman.

And if I went to save the library at Alexandria, which sacking would I save it from? It got burned down three separate times... nope, most of history is too... inevitable. With the fall of Rome and the collapse of trade routes, you get a Dark Age, no matter what. Specific highlights are just symptoms of massive, tidal events, currents and undertows in the vast dark.

I could go back to the end of WW1, but who's going to listen? Nobody, that's who. And my solution to the start of WW2 might not gain me many sympathizers in a world tired of war.

So, I'd take my black heart and shriveled soul back to a serious money-making opportunity, like a triple lotto jackpot. Grab the cash, back in the time machine. Then on arriving back at the present, solve a lot of future problems I can already see coming but can't do anything about.

• Like 3

... And if I went to save the library at Alexandria, which sacking would I save it from? It got burned down three separate times... 

The first one, obviously. The one that happened when the Romans took over.

Maybe, in my haste to get back to the TARDIS with a heap of scrolls before any Roman centurions came nosing around, it was I who tripped over an oil lamp which set off the whole conflagration....? How do we know it was not?

• Like 7

See, that's why you set the TARDIS to random and just see what you get. If you don't know, your expectations can't be dashed. Expectations are really the source of all our disappointments anyway. We're our own worst enemy. Once we remove our expectations from the equation we can just let ourselves experience the wonder of being in a different time period and gee golly people here are funny, no I'm not a witch, OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!THEYHAVEPITCHFORKSANDTORCHES!!!!! :lol:

• Like 4

See, that's why you set the TARDIS to random and just see what you get. If you don't know, your expectations can't be dashed. Expectations are really the source of all our disappointments anyway. We're our own worst enemy. Once we remove our expectations from the equation we can just let ourselves experience the wonder of being in a different time period and gee golly people here are funny, no I'm not a witch, OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!THEYHAVEPITCHFORKSANDTORCHES!!!!! :lol:

This is why, if a funny man in a blue box ever asks me to travel with him, I'm going to ask if I can go buy new running shoes first.

• Like 5

See, that's why you set the TARDIS to random and just see what you get. If you don't know, your expectations can't be dashed. Expectations are really the source of all our disappointments anyway. We're our own worst enemy. Once we remove our expectations from the equation we can just let ourselves experience the wonder of being in a different time period and gee golly people here are funny, no I'm not a witch, OMG RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!!THEYHAVEPITCHFORKSANDTORCHES!!!!!  :lol:

And again we see the advantages of cheerful pessimism: "Huh, that didn't suck nearly as bad as I thought it might."

:;):

• Like 3