Getting to Know Each Other Better

TaleSpinner

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question 14: When preparing and painting a mini, what part(s) of the process do you dread/dislike the most?

Two things:

1) That time when the miniature sucks. (All minis go into that time; if you finish them, they usually make it through to the far side.)

2) Basing, because by that point I just want to have been done.

• Like 4

I hate that part when I realize that something I did in painting the earlier stages is going to make that final grand design I had in mind much more difficult or impossible (without starting over obviously). Or that part when I realize I have no idea how to do what I had pictured in my mind.

• Like 4

# 13. Favorite minis I've done

Zombie mouslings and hero- My first foray into white, blood effects, and the first time I felt my highlighting leveled up. Plus Zombie mouslings, c'mon what's not to like? :-)

Khael Stonekindle- The first time I was competely pleased with a face. And my first scuplted base. It's just a stone floor, but it's my poorly sculpted stone floor and I like it.

Owlbear- The sculpt is ridiculous and fun, and reminded me so much of the crazy look my Ivy cat gives me when she's excited, we started calling her our little owlbear.

Sinessa hellborn sorceress-My second proper base attempt, the lava, was super fun go paint. Also, the first time I was completely happy with highlighting on cloth.

Sarcophagus- First attempt at painting marble. Super fun.

#14. Least Favorite prepping-

Waiting for the primer to dry. When I get the painting bug and have a mini I'm excited about, the waiting kills me. Also, mold lines on bones. Boo bones mold lines. Yeah bones cheapness.

• Like 2

I... actually rather enjoy miniature prep, conversion and basing. :unsure:

1. I find removing mold lines from Bones to be frustrating and difficult. I am hoping it will get better with experience, but it hasn't yet.

2. The late parts of carefully shading a show piece. My shading skills are shaky enough that the back and forth of blending well takes me a very long time, and it can get frustratingly tedious on a large piece, or on a kind of monochromatic piece. (Deathsleet, I'm looking at YOU! :grr:)

Often times, when I am painstakingly shading the umpteenth tiny doodad hanging from an, otherwise complete, miniature's belt, I will be  actively wishing I could skip ahead to the basing and finishing phase.

• Like 3

... Also, mold lines on bones. Boo bones mold lines. Yeah bones cheapness.

Sanding needles are your friend here.

Sanding needles? Do go on...

These things - they are called "Plastic Sanding Needles." They come in different grits like sand paper, but they won't rip the bones material like metal files do. Go with the 240 grit as they work great. Can be found at local hobby stores and online pretty easily. Run about $6-$10 for a package.

alpha-abr_needles-boxart_t.jpg

• Like 5

Question 14: When preparing and painting a mini, what part(s) of the process do you dread/dislike the most?

Priming. This may sound silly. I live in such a dusty, humid area that if I can get a nice even layer of primer on a figure, I consider it well done. I can't use spray primer here, though I wish I could. I've gotten hair in my primer, dust in my primer and unidentified particles. It doesn't seem to matter how clean I keep my desk or how I tie my hair back. I started thinning out my primer a little bit with water, so I would be able to evenly brush it on and remove particles easier. 

Edit: Sanding Needles are = Ooooo Yes, lovely. 

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 4

Oops, coming in a little late on the weekend question. It's a tough one...definitely my Mantis CAV:

IG_399_1.jpg

I don't have good pictures of the rest:

Telemnar Dawntreader (DHL 2571): I've painted a few versions, great classic Klocke elf.

Dragon Hatchlings (DHL 2802): in particular, one that I painted with  lava base.

Bertrand, Elf Monk (DHL 2829): I turned the staff into a glaive. I particularly like the little details on this guy.

Can't think of any others in particular. Which leads into my answer to today's question--my least favorite part of the process is painting! I don't mind general prep and cleaning (unless the mold lines are really terrible), and assembly/conversion is probably my favorite step--I have a ton of models (especially from Warhammer Fantasy) which I've heavily converted but never painted and thus also never shared. It just takes so much time to paint anything to a decent standard, and I struggle with 'seeing' things like how to properly highlight.

• Like 3