Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • 4 weeks later...

I'm getting better at this I think...  The forms are coming more easily now. Couple of things I am doing different. I tried sculpting "raw" with just water to reduce sticking, but switched over to the vasaline method and it's working better for me. Better polishing of the tools helped allot. I also read where Gene said working the GS in one direction makes the putty more responsive to manipulation. He noted the thicker the volume of GS the more it will relax or soften details where the smaller the volume the sharper the details will remain. And he also mentioned that he just keeps working the putty for 30 to 60 minutes until the details are pretty well set. Go figure, he knows what he is talking about.

 

rooster_04.JPG

 

The comb on the crown is kicking my butt. I have tried getting the shape on, letting it cure and then file the points in. But it just keeps popping off. I amy try pulling the points out like JG does when pulling scales.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator

Use a scalpel to cut a groove into the top of the head before adding the comb.  Seat the comb into the groove and work it in taking a bit from each side of the comb and pull it down blending it to the top of the head.  This will anchor the comb in place.  It you try just sticking the comb onto the smooth head, there is not enough surface area for it to stick to to be secure.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Andy, I'll try that. it makes allot of practical sense. Before I put my tools up last night I did a test comb using the scale pull technique. Man I suck at that. To be expected tho. It was my very first try with the technique ever. It was very clumsy and either the putty wouldn't stick to the tool when I pulled, or it would stick too much. I may be able to file it tonight and see if it is salvageable. But no biggie if it isn't. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What about adding a thin piece of sheet styrene into the slot TaleSpinner suggested cutting and using that as the armature for the comb?

 

 

hmmm...  that's not a bad idea...  only without the sculpting on top of it. I suppose I could just glue a small pice of stirene in place and shape it to the form needed. Could be worth a try.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

What about adding a thin piece of sheet styrene into the slot TaleSpinner suggested cutting and using that as the armature for the comb?

 

 

hmmm...  that's not a bad idea...  only without the sculpting on top of it. I suppose I could just glue a small pice of stirene in place and shape it to the form needed. Could be worth a try.

 

My other thought was to drill 4-5 small holes for thin gauge wire and glue those in for an armature then sculpt the comb onto those, but I think the styrene might be a little more sturdy.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Update. Last night I tried to shape the form on the comb. First was the TS method of cut groove and GS. It poped off when I tried to manipulate it. So I glued it back into place. Once it was cure I could shape it. Second was the groove pluss glued styrene. It poped off as well. So I deepened the groove and glued it back into place. I'll try shaping it tonight. That might work, but I think the method I'll end up with is deeper grove and GS. Once the GS was stable it shaped really nicely. Pics later tonight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

So Christmas break is coming up soon and the new campaign kick off is during the break. Between that and the travel work weeks I haven't had time to take pics. but the hens and roosters are coming along at a good clip now. Here is a pick of one of the roosters with the under-structure done.

 

rooster_05.JPG

 

Now it's gust a mater of sculpting on the feather layer and cleanup.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

........ thoughts on a tool. I have this tool i made. It's one of the first set of tools I made for sculpting minis. I love the tool but my first round of tools I used bamboo chopsticks for the body or handle. The bamboo is too skinny. My hands ache and start to cramp when I use it for very long. I've decided to move the tool into a dowel this weekend when I get home. It's sad, because I want to sculpt, but the thought of using the tool is taking the joy away.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...