FaekiasDracon

Future floor polish has changed names/packaging AGAIN

Was at my local walmart and noticed that the Pledge with Future floor polish seemed to be missing, then I noticed this:

image_zps1f17bb52.jpgseems like they have changed the name and packaging again.  this one did say that it was formerly pledge with future on the back.

• Like 6

Ah, so they "phased out" the Future brand name on the front.

My own bottle still had the Future brand name in smaller characters on the front.

As long as I don't use it on floors, it should last me a lifetime.

• Like 3

It's like what happens when an analog company latches onto a digital buzzphrase like "disruptive innovation" and decide it means that the harder they work to confuse customers and hide their product, the more sales they will get.

• Like 6

I don't use it anymore. I used it as a flow improver for a while, but found that distilled water works just as well, and leaves the paint less glossy.

• Like 2

It's a poor flow improver. More like a flow retarder. It thickens and gets sticky rapidly, even in small quantities. I used 1 part in 10 dilution with water and it became oozy. This was actually what I wanted, so it worked out. But wherever the info came from that it works like flow improver, which has been on the web since the web was on stone tablets, I consider that myth entirely debunked. It has the opposite property, easily seen by comparing it to genuine flow improver.

• Like 3

Ya, unless your a chemist I don't see why anyone would add something not intended for paint into paint as you never know what they're going to get.  Either Bryan or Anne has a story about someone who bought the whole MSP line and promptly ruined it by adding floor polish to every bottle then called Reaper up to complain that there was a problem with their paint and Reaper should replace it.

I know money is an issue for people but a big ol' jug of flow improver from Hobby lobby or Michal's is like $5 after a coupon and that will last a good amount of time for someone.

• Like 6

I remember that story. That was sad that they ruined their paints. But infuriating when they demanded that Reaper replace their entire paint kit. Not their fault you decided to add something into the paints.

• Like 1

It really is just acrylic gloss medium (look at the safety data sheet; I have). The fact that it doesn't say that on the label seems to be curiously daunting to many people.

I wouldn't recommend mixing it into all your paint, but I wouldn't recommend mixing a dulling additive into all your paint either.

• Like 6

It really is just acrylic gloss medium (look at the safety data sheet; I have). The fact that it doesn't say that on the label seems to be curiously daunting to many people.

I wouldn't recommend mixing it into all your paint, but I wouldn't recommend mixing a dulling additive into all your paint either.

Yep. So it is still useful, and I use it for many things, but once I got my hands on actual flow improver I realized there had been some bad advice making the rounds. I have to wonder if the confusion started by somebody using it as an extender, to dilute paint without separation (as an acrylic medium would do) and it got a bit mangled through several colloquial translations.

• Like 5

Yep. So it is still useful, and I use it for many things, but once I got my hands on actual flow improver I realized there had been some bad advice making the rounds. I have to wonder if the confusion started by somebody using it as an extender, to dilute paint without separation (as an acrylic medium would do) and it got a bit mangled through several colloquial translations.

I suspect you're probably right.

And it will aid in auto-shading (like Polyurethane wood coating "dip"), avoiding tide lines, not because it increases flow but because it decreases it. If you don't know what's going on, it's pretty likely that you might think that's the same thing that a flow improver does.

I should perhaps note that I don't actually use gloss medium for much, because it doesn't fit with my style, but it's a tool that I keep ready for the odd occasion. And if you want a bullet-proof final coat, it can be quite useful.

• Like 2

I still use it occasionally before a Matt varnish. I have used it on quite a few Bones one models with no issues.

This is pretty much my use for it now, as inexpensive layers of varnish before a final light coat of matte.

• Like 2

As a professional artist, I cannot recommend using any material not intended for art, even if its MSDS looks identical to that of an art material.

You cannot know what compromises have been made which may prove detrimental to the life of your paints.

Acrylic gloss medium is not so expensive that one should be trying to find a cheaper substitute anyway.

And gloss medium is nothing like flow improver.

• Like 2

I was a victim of the flow improver deception! It kinda sorta does because it's pretty low-viscosity and quite self-levelling, but the characteristics aren't strong enough to be helpful at the minis scale, and aren't the same as flow improver anyway ( I have some pouring medium here, it's self-levelling, too; but forms a 4mm thick sheet of acrylic, so definitely NOT a flow improver). I HAVE used it in a wash and it does change the flow characteristics of the paint. However this was a local brand and could be a different formula!

Edited by smokingwreckage
  • Like 2