• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a very nice paint job. The green looks plausible and realistic.

I sometimes wonder if the artists who do the sculpts for prepainted minis (which are often really nice like this one) get depressed by the horribly cheesy factory paint jobs that obscure their detail and beauty.

• Like 2

I sometimes wonder if the artists who do the sculpts for prepainted minis (which are often really nice like this one) get depressed by the horribly cheesy factory paint jobs that obscure their detail and beauty.

I would think so, considering that this:

10415728_10152738639746539_6248715485022

gets turned into this:

ws054f.jpg

Mostly, I wish that Wizkids and such offered premium metal versions of these figures.

Anyway, that's a nice repaint; I've got a Mage Knight succubus that I've mostly repainted and I should finish it off and get around to working on some of the others. I've got a big box of MK minis and there are some really nice sculpts that would be great fun to paint up.

• Like 4

I would think so, considering that this:

10415728_10152738639746539_6248715485022

gets turned into this:

ws054f.jpg

Mostly, I wish that Wizkids and such offered premium metal versions of these figures.

Anyway, that's a nice repaint; I've got a Mage Knight succubus that I've mostly repainted and I should finish it off and get around to working on some of the others. I've got a big box of MK minis and there are some really nice sculpts that would be great fun to paint up.

I clipped the arms off of this clix to use as mutation bits, haha.

That's a nice green dragon.  I don't see enough of them around.  That might just be coincidence, though.

Speaking of coincidence, as it happens I'm painting the Reaper Bones Shadow Dragon as a Deep Dragon.  The really pastel purple-looking 2nd Edition one.  If I recall, it's pretty close to being done.  (I got distracted for a few months)

Anyway, I really dig that Draco Chlorinous Nauseous Respiratorus you've painted there.  10/10, would TPK with.

• Like 3

Oh, that is a lovely repaint! It looks almost shimmery!

May I ask what you used to strip the paint? I've been painting over my preprinted minis, as I've not had luck getting the paint off first. The factory paints really stay on!

I just paint straight over the top. In this case I used a silver undercoat and top-coated mostly in transparent paints (Badger Air-Opaque).

Yeah, as far as I know, the consensus is that the paint used on PPMs is plasticized in such a way that it bonds permanently with the plastic of the minis, so there's no way to strip it without melting the mini underneath as well.

Anyway, this dragon looks great, and way nicer than the original! Lots of visual interest and it shows off the details of the sculpt very well.

Nice job! I have a bunch of old mage knight figs that I'm going through to see which ones are decent enough sculpts to do this with.

Oh, that is a lovely repaint! It looks almost shimmery!

May I ask what you used to strip the paint? I've been painting over my preprinted minis, as I've not had luck getting the paint off first. The factory paints really stay on!

As others have said you can just paint over it; I've got a few that I've done just that with.

It is possible to get the paint off with acetone, though. Before I tell you how, I want to stress that the stuff is Dangerous ; please make sure you follow all applicable safety precautions--use it in a well ventilated area, wear chemical protective gloves, wear eye protection! Read the bottle, and do all the safety stuff it says to do.

Ok, you select your figure, dip an old toothbrush into the acetone and start scrubbing the figure; you'll see the paint come up pretty quickly. DO NOT immerse the figure in the acetone; it'll melt. Once you're done, immediately rinse the figure in some water to get acetone off. After that, wash it again just to be sure.

A couple notes:

--the figure will be 'bendy' afterwards, especially if it is thin. This will go away after a couple days

--your results will vary. I've done this a few times; a couple times I uncovered some really cool detail that was invisible under the factory 'paint glop job', other times I haven't found anything that made it worth the effort

--try it out a few times on figures you don't care about until you 'get the feel' for how the process works before you do it on a figure that you really like.

--it's important, so I'll say it again: Follow the safety precautions!!

If you've got any questions, let me know.