Sign in to follow this  
pinkymadigan

Nor'okk Ettin Odd Thing I just noticed

So I'm painting up Nor'okk, and things are going swell. Finishing up all my bigger basecoats first as I tend to. Then I get to the details and noticed this fella has a rope going into his arm. What's going on with this? I hadn't really noticed it in pictures before, so I looked some up. Seems it bothered other people as well, as most of them had taken pictures of the rope hiding behind something like his club:

post-8239-0-56016900-1407981247.jpg

It almost makes sense from this angle, too:

DSCN0890.JPG

But here, in the full back view, the upper right shoulder clearly has a rope going into it:

2014-10-02_reaper-ettin.jpg

Pretty unusual, looks like Tre just forgot to finish this rope? Not sure my green stuff abilities are beyond making simple rocks to decorate bases and patching obvious holes, so I'm kinda stuck until I wrap my head around the disappearing rope. 

So, yeah. No real point to this thread I guess. Just something I noticed.

Edited by pinkymadigan
  • Like 4

I believe the top of the rope is just meant to be concealed by his shoulder muscles, perhaps not the best bit of sculpting.  If you look carefully you can see the other end emerging from under his necklace across the left side of his chest, although it doesn't appear to be painted in the photos above.

Is one of those the metal version? Maybe a detail lost in the transition to Bones?

I just looked at my unpainted Bones version and I think alchemist probably hit it on the head, my guess is that the rope is basically squished under the shoulder muscle.

Edited by Adrift

@alchemist- that's what I thought, too, but there doesn't seem to be a connection, the one rope goes all the way around his neck pretty cleanly, and it doesn't look like the other one joins up with it. 

@Adrift Dunno- couldn't find confirmed photos of the metal version's back. As far as I can tell, this mini only really received a lot of attention after the first KS. 

Just odd. He's an awesome mini, I saved him for later because I knew I would have a lot of fun working on him, but I need to wrap my head around this before I get too much further along for my own sanity I think.

It's a Rope of Constriction that is slowly making it's way from his pouch on his belt up towards his neck to accomplish it's task.

• Like 8

It's a Rope of Climbing! You just don't see the invisible halfling thief behind him who tossed it up on the brute to climb up his back and stab him in the neck!

• Like 7

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lidless Eye
      Hadn't seen this here yet:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1620164718/28mm-pig-faced-orcs?ref=user_menu

You enter the cavern with water dripping down from overhead. The smell of rotten meat is thick in the air. From up ahead in the distance you hear the loud battle cry of your enemy SQUEEEEEEE! 
      Painted by Ben Rodman      Pig faced orcs.  The most iconic encounter of any classic adventure. We have a nice variety of these little oinkers in the pen.
      We enlisted the help of Bobby Jackson to sculpt the porcs and Jason Wiebe for all the pork besties. They did an awesome job.
      Fortress Figures will be casting these beauties up in lead free white metal. 
      Any support for our small family owned business is greatly appreciated.
      Painted by world renowned artist Rob Wheeler Painted by world renowned artist Rob Wheeler      This project is for unpainted, white metal and/or resin figurines. Models are provided NOT painted. Models are scaled to 28mm toe to eye or 1:60. Models are provided with a plastic tab/slot base. Figurines are not toys and are intended only for adults. Models may require some assembly, may have sharp or pointed parts and are a choking hazard to anyone prone to put them in their mouth.

I backed for the Ettin(ess) Bodyguard myself

• By Maledrakh
      From Bones 1, Nor'Okk the Ettin

...maybe I should get me a turntable and start making 360 videos instead...

50mm base

77103 Nor'Okk the Ettin
      Reaper Miniatures 2012
      from the Bones 1 kickstarter, "Mind Your Manors" add-on
      Sculpted by Tre Manor
      Bones classic (The orginial soft bendy material)
      50mm base

• By Venun
      Used a slow sunday to to pop out this guy (these guys?). Finished the base today, here's the outcome. For myself, I'm happy :) 

• By Maledrakh
      #99 The Ettin:

or two headed giant if you will. I went with a not typically European skin colour to clash jarringly with the very typically European-looking shield on it's belly, just to annoy those who have a problem with that sort of thing.

50mm base.

It still only counts as a single giant.

Bones 4 Core set, 2019
      Reaper Miniatures
      unknown sculptor
      Made in Bonesium PVC
      50mm bases, pig and cart on 100x60mm base.
      should be available from reapermini.com some time in the future in Bones.

• By Guyscanwefocusplease
      Hey all,

It's been a while!  Didn't get a lot of painting done in the back half of last year because of a few things, but I have started to climb back to the painting desk.  I have a few projects I have completed that I will have to upload, but for now enjoy this rendition of Nor'Okk the Ettin.

For some reason I have a soft spot for large, Ogre-like miniatures.  I like the scale, I like that they're humanoid but big enough to have really good opportunities to play with muscle tone, etc.  I do have a lot of ogres set up to work on, so I wanted to make this ettin different looking.  It's not perfect, but I frankly had to get him wrapped up before Bones 4 inundates me even further!

Thanks for looking. C and C always appreciated.

• Who's Online   26 Members, 0 Anonymous, 32 Guests (See full list)