How do you feel about mixing NMM and Metallics

redpiano

So I've got a couple minis that I'm debating what to do with, on one I've done NMM red armor, on the other I've done sort of NMM white armor. My question to you is, how do you feel about mixing NMM and Metallics on the same model? Can it work? Obviously doing steel NMM and then using silver paint would look ridiculous but things like red NMM or any kind of colored NMM mixed with Metallic paint for things that are supposed to be gold or silver.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to counter and say the best way to do metallics is to shade them with non-metalic colors.  It's also a great way to get weathering in.

Things below the spoiler tag are all done this way.

keliandurak1.jpg

brom2.jpg

GWsentinel1.jpg

I would agree with that.

• Like 1

I don't paint in the same league as the above pictures.

As an intermediate painter, every time I have tried it the real metallic highlights and shadows (which change depending on lighting) clash with the planned highlights and shadows created by NNM.  I went back and repainted most of the figures I tried it on.  Metallics have worked on tiny metal rivets or buckles in non-metal clothing, while using NNM on a different (larger) part of the figure.  

I mostly do use NNM, because it is fun and challenging.  Unless I am in a hurry, or overdosed on the previous figure. 

Edited by Evilhalfling

I second Jokemeister's suggestion.

...Obviously doing steel NMM and then using silver paint would look ridiculous ...

Not really. I also agree with MonkeySloth. What he's describing is how I paint my metallics. And after reading this tutorial: http://monkeyman7x.com/articles/metals-silver/, I don't see why it shoud be limited to just shadows. Doesn't always work for me but I'm guessing as long as I try to keep improving I'll get the hang of it someday.

• Like 3

yeah, it is not a good look.  Think about the nature of the two techniques.  NMM is all about control, you want to control every last aspect of the presentation of the miniature to the point that you don't want any errant reflection to upset your composition.  Metallic paint is all about letting nature do everything for you, it is embracing the lighting of the room and using that on your miniature.  These two are not compatable philosophies of composition. 

• Like 2

Perhaps I have bad taste, but a final light dot of silver or white metallic medium for a NMM blend looks fine to me, enhancing the spot like no mere white paint would be able to do.

I know it is not the original question, but it goes for the argument that both paints can be used (like in the link provided by junex).

I wasn't quite talking about using metallic paint and then shading it with normal paint, this is how I do metallics as well but rather would NMM on some parts and Metallics on other parts mix.

I thought that's what you meant in your first post. My short attention span side tracked me a bit.

I still say go for it. What's the worst that could happen, it doesn't look good and you'll decide to repaint the metals or the NMM parts. Just because someone hasn't made it work before doesn't mean you can't also.

Since NMM does take practice before it looks right, maybe the mix of the two is a new step in painting mastery.

If it looks bad, then it hasn't been practised enough.

Or then again, it could be like ketchup on sundaes, no matter how practised you are, it will always be bad.