Sign in to follow this  
Marsya

Dixie Lost Glimmer of Hope Under a Small Mossy Rock aka Stonehaven Gnome wizard

Oh my goodness, that's gorgeous. One of the best paintjobs I've seen in a while. Very well done, Marsya. The hat, the gemstones, the fire, the squirrel, the basing... I would be over the moon if I was your client.

• Like 1

This came out extremely well. The wizard, the squirrel and your base work all work quite nicely together.

Congratulations!

• Like 2

Beautiful paint job and base!  As for the background, the blue definitely shows the colors and detail in your paint job better than the black background.

• Like 1

Aww thanks everyone for the kind words. I really enjoyed this one and am glad everyone likes him. The 30mm base sure did give me a lot of room to work with to add tiny details to really set him off, unlike the typical small base for gnomes.

I love the way the squirrel sets off the scene and really should consider adding more creatures to my basework more often.

I picked up the squirrel and some other furry friends years ago with the intention of creating a sleeping beauty diorama. Hmm... Maybe I should actually start that.

Thank you all again for the suggestions and help as it shows in my final work.

• Like 1

Thanks Pingo and Arc.

My husband took a few better photos for me so I edited the original post to show a close up of my gnome, it really shows the moss I added to his staff better i think.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dan S
      My first painted miniature of the year, Darius the Wizard.  Hopefully this will get the ball rolling again!

To be honest I am not generally a fan of plastic minis, I grew up in the days when miniatures were almost exclusively lead or pewter and so maybe I am a little biased, however I got this guy free with a recent order and was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the new Bones USA plastic.  It feels solid, and is a lot more rigid than some of the other plastic miniatures I've had in the past, which can often be quite soft or even bendy.  The detail seems much more crisp and sharp too.  I think I may finally be converted to the world of plastic minis!

He was painted in an afternoon, whilst the base was made from Sculpy Clay, using balled up tinfoil to give it the stone like texture.

• By R2ED
      2nd mini painted this weekend for Paint Club.  I admit this one posed some interesting challenges that I'm not super thrilled about.  Most of that is related to the lack of details to really draw out, but it also highlights my lack of ability to know how to help highlight that muddled scuplt.  

BATTLE REPORT!

Wins:
      * Majority of Blink being armor made the choice for colors fairly easy.  I once again used the combo of the Gunmetal and Aluminum as the pairing.  I like it! 
      *  The purple and red seem to be an okay choice for the only real two tones in this model, but I'd like a bit more color.  Still a win.
      *  I really went back around 4 times to fix the skin.  I found that there were some mold lines I didn't quite scrape off that frustrated me, but even so the colors seem okay.  Reaper send me a SAMPLE color that's like THE COLOR of flesh that works in a pinkish hue that I love.  LOVE.
      *  The checkering I added to the helm seems to be a fun detail and helps bring out some of the helmet forward.  
      *  I used black ink to do black-lining which helped show separation between all of the plates.  Win!
      *  Eyes came out great.  I wanted to go back and add that little sparkle in the corner of the eye, but I think we all know that one-step-too-far we all can take when it's good enough and then it gets screwed up.  Holding back was the way to go.
      *  Trying a lot harder to work the hair with highlights.  Did a brown base, lined with brown liner between the strands, then highlighted with brown sand.  Works?  I think so.

Misses:
      *  The dark lining I end up with around the eyes needs to be drawn back further.  I can't seem to get around that.  It was really present around my Lysette work and shows up strong in this one, too.  Wah wah.
      *  I tried using brown liner to bring out the detail in the plates.  Wasn't strong enough and too runny in its medium, so I had to swap to black ink.  
      *  Not sure I'm a fan of the shield mix of tones with Gunmetal and Aluminium.  I think I need input there from y'all.
      *  The horsehair helmet with purple and red...may have been a bit much.  Color recommendations?
      *  I liked using a pinkish color for that vial hanging on her belt, but is it too bright?

Overall, this little model was not the easiest due to the carve of the model.  I do think that this was a great test to see how I could add to it, but still so much to learn on improving things like this with more free hand.

Any thoughts?

• By Darcstaar
      Another that started as a WIP.
      I was going for an East Indian skin tone.
      I find this figure curious for a mage, with armor and a spear.  And strange scalloped shapes on her back.  The color washes out the difference between the orange and yellow colors, sadly.

WIP Link below.
      https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/90829-darcstaar-vs-bones-1-episode-6-devona/&tab=comments#comment-1928602

Enjoy.

• By Lidless Eye
      In my first set of finished miniatures in 2021, a selection of heroes from Stonehaven Adventurers 2020 Kickstarter.  They were primed at the end of 2020 after a end of year arrival, but painted over the last month or so.

The whole of my finished ones:

The Orcs:

My favorite of the set.  They showed her as concept art on Instagram about 3 projects ago, I'm glad to see her in physical form finally.

The Goblins:

I got a very Nott the Brave vibe from this one:

A Kobold with some fancy gear:

Some live some day in the way of the froggy guys:

Tieflings:

A Dragonborn Wizard:

Some live some die in the way of this Hobgoblin Guy...wait I used that one already?  Darn.

• By R2ED
      Based him and done. 

• Who's Online   33 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)