Spray Primer that Won't Hurt PVC

undel

Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap(er) spray primer that won't hurt PVC?

I'm looking to spray my dwarven forge game tiles a different color before beginning to drybrush them, and being able to use spray paint rather than a brush on paint would save a ton of time.

Last year I tried Krylon Fusion for plastic, but it made my game tiles tacky and even after I covered up all the tackiness with acryllic, they still stick together when stored.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just cut and pasted this out of Rhonda's guide to First Coat on Bones. Any spray primer you decide to use should be tested first, before applying it to everything.

Aerosol spray primers and some spray paints can have some issues with Bones (and with other plastics). The chemicals in some of these primers and paints do not react well with Bones. The main effect seems to be that the primer never completely cures, remaining tacky to the touch. Some will also fail to form a bond with the Bones material.

The following is a list of aerosol paints and primers that people on the Reaper forums have reported testing on Bones. Please consider the list just a guide. The best idea is to test your chosen spray by using it on a small Bones figure you don’t care about a lot. After you give the spray time to cure, carefully look over the figure to make sure the chemicals in the spray haven’t reacted with the Bones material to melt or otherwise damage it. If not, test the primer surface by touching it to see if it stays too tacky to paint over. Also, flex parts of the figure to make sure the primer doesn’t crack.

Note: Some people have successfully used Krylon primer, and possibly other spray primers that some people have reported as problematic. And other people have reported problems with primers that some felt worked well. One difference seems to be that a light spray rather than a heavy coating is more likely to minimize tackiness. Environmental factors such as temperature and humidity are also always a big variable with any spray product.

Recommended aerosol spray primers and paints:

Army Painter white and coloured primers

Krylon Dual Paint + Primer

Duplicolor Sandable – slight tackiness possible

Rust-oleam Painter’s Touch Ultra Cover 2x – slight tackiness possible

Problem aerosol spray primers and paints:

Krylon white primer – doesn’t bond, stays tacky

Testors Enamel flat black – stays tacky

Walmart Valu flat white – stays tacky

Krylon Primer red-brown – stays tacky

Citadel spray

You can find the complete guide that Rhonda wrote here: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/

Edited by Heisler

Not sure if there is a primer in the line but Micheal's carries Liquitex in spray cans.

Description:

Designed for professional artists but easy enough to use for anyone, Liquitex spray paint has an extensive selection of colors to suit every need. This line combines artist grade pigments with an innovative water-based technology, offering color brilliance, lightfastness and durability in a unique low odor, low irritant formula. Versatile enough for use on almost any surface, including canvas, wood, masonry and glass, this spray paint provides high coverage so you can create vibrant murals, mixed media pieces, stencil work and more.

Details:
  • Available in multiple colors
  • 400 ml (340 g/12 oz.) spray can
  • Intermixable with other Liquitex ranges
  • Permanent
  • For interior or exterior use
WARNING: Flammable

There is also Vallejo Model air (if you have a airbrush, of course)

RM

I have used black Duplicolor primer on the Dwarven Forge coin piles and it worked great. I have had nixed results on Bones PVC. Perfect on one and real light tack on another. I bought a can of gray last week and sprayed another Bones mini and it worked fine. There has been some conjecture that there are three different mixes of PVC used for different Bones minis which may explain the results (or sloppy application by me ::):)

Not sure how available it is in the US, but I've used Humbrol M33 Black Spray on bones figures without problems.

I've recently sprayed some pvc-like soft plastic(*) robot toys with it, and again, no problem. They have a large range of colours, so may be worth a try if you can find them

* really not sure what they're made of, in case you hadn't figured that out from my description :unsure:

My limited experience with "Fusion" is that it is definitely THE wrong spray paint for all plastic models. Way, way, way wrong. I have used a flat black enamel and an all primer on styrene with no problems, I haven't spray primed any PVC. Fusion melted into and fused with the styrene to form a glossy surface that no subsequent paint would stick to.

Of all the rotten... I'd just bought a couple cans of Fusion for the upcoming CAVs, and figured they'd be okay on the Bones. Tested them both on the sprue from the familiars pack, and yup. Little sticky. Not nearly as bad as some others I've tried, but just tacky enough to be noticeable and a bother. Quick coat of Testor's dull didn't help either.

Guess it's time to rethink that CAV paint scheme now. Was trying for a simple solution other than airbrush or multiple coats.

Pegazus, have to tried a matte coat of ordinary spray colour? Proceed with caution, but I found years ago for one project that the matte black had more than enough bite to really stick to the plastic, and the matte surface was toothy enough to paint over. Test first, really light coats from as far away as will still get you a decent base-coat. The heavier a coat, and the closer, the more chance the paint solvent is going to get funky with the plastic of the model. Fill in gaps with Liner thinned with Airbrush Acrylic Thinner, which is a water-thin acrylic medium that BOnes won't repel.

TEST FIRST. And do really small batches!

Not sure if there is a primer in the line but Micheal's carries Liquitex in spray cans.

Description:

Designed for professional artists but easy enough to use for anyone, Liquitex spray paint has an extensive selection of colors to suit every need. This line combines artist grade pigments with an innovative water-based technology, offering color brilliance, lightfastness and durability in a unique low odor, low irritant formula. Versatile enough for use on almost any surface, including canvas, wood, masonry and glass, this spray paint provides high coverage so you can create vibrant murals, mixed media pieces, stencil work and more.

Details:

• Available in multiple colors
  • 400 ml (340 g/12 oz.) spray can
  • Intermixable with other Liquitex ranges
  • Permanent
  • For interior or exterior use
WARNING: Flammable

There is also Vallejo Model air (if you have a airbrush, of course)

RM

That Liquitex stuff is notorious for clogging up the cans.

Pegazus, have to tried a matte coat of ordinary spray colour?

TEST FIRST. And do really small batches!

I actually have used a matte (black) but I didn't like the results afterwards. The acrylic afterwards just didn't do right, IMO. I knew that the Fusion had acetone which I personally believe is the culprit, but thought that maybe they had some additive as well to prevent the reaction. So I'm back to avoiding it with Bones.

I do have three metal CAVs that need painting, and I did use it for some Halloween costumes, so it won't be a total waste.

EDIT: maybe it was flat rather than matte. May be the difference.

Edited by Pegazus