CAVBOSS

CAV: SO Friday Feature [11/7/2014]

I don't think enough data cards have been released to get a good ideal if anything is right or not.  Just not enough to compare anything with.

Likely true. It's just my favorite from an aesthetic perspective so naturally it needs to have the best stats.  ::P: 

• Like 2

I don't think enough data cards have been released to get a good ideal if anything is right or not.  Just not enough to compare anything with.

Likely true. It's just my favorite from an aesthetic perspective so naturally it needs to have the best stats.  ::P:

I understand.  I am sure I will gripe as well if I don't like the Soverigen and Gladiator stats.   It is the nature of being a gamer.

• Like 2

The mold is in customs at the moment (and has been for a little while). We expect it to be released in a few days.

apply silicone mold release agent judiciously

On another point with these Friday features, although I'm not so keen on the Dymo like titles on the stat cards, I'm really liking the artwork of the units themselves.

Kudos to whomsoever is involved in production/authorising production/producing them!

More please - soon as you can - no pressure - name the artist(s) so appropriate honours can be assigned - etc., etc., etc., :-)

Thanks for statting the Starhawk V!  

This was the first CAV I ever bought, and I'd say it's still my favorite.  Interesting change in role from CAV 1 (though I'm too lazy to look up the stats in CAV 2) - it always looked and felt like the Terran "workhorse," but now it's a soft target buster like the Vanquisher.  Very glad you kept it fast!  

I already have three, but I'll definitely spring for more when this one goes to Bones.  

Interesting changes indeed. In CAV 2 as in CAV 1, both the Starhawk V and VI were 'workhorse' models, with the VI being basically a 'big brother' of the V (as well as being faction-restricted in CAV 2). In CAV:SO, however, with (almost) all models being faction-unique, I can understand a desire to differentiate the two a little more, especially given the Terran's lack of a native Vanquisher-style model. That said, I feel like you may have overshot the hard/soft differentiation on the VI--my personal inclination would be to make it more similar to the V, but with the hard/soft values reversed.

EDIT: As an alternative to changing the Starhawk V's role, the JoR2 mentions that Mitso-Ta was considering a variant Ronin mounting twin Odoroki gatling Gauss cannons to fill a suppression role; it would require either a new model or a conversion guide, but would fill that gap in a more distinctly Terran manner than creating what's basically a Vanquisher clone.

Interesting changes indeed. In CAV 2 as in CAV 1, both the Starhawk V and VI were 'workhorse' models, with the VI being basically a 'big brother' of the V (as well as being faction-restricted in CAV 2). In CAV:SO, however, with (almost) all models being faction-unique, I can understand a desire to differentiate the two a little more, especially given the Terran's lack of a native Vanquisher-style model. That said, I feel like you may have overshot the hard/soft differentiation on the VI--my personal inclination would be to make it more similar to the V, but with the hard/soft values reversed.

EDIT: As an alternative to changing the Starhawk V's role, the JoR2 mentions that Mitso-Ta was considering a variant Ronin mounting twin Odoroki gatling Gauss cannons to fill a suppression role; it would require either a new model or a conversion guide, but would fill that gap in a more distinctly Terran manner than creating what's basically a Vanquisher clone.

I don't know it still gives a pretty solid punch on hard tragets.but you are going to be using missles instead of the guns for that punch.

I'll admit I'm not particularly familiar with the SO rules yet--are you only allowed to use one or the other in a given attack? I suppose the Vanquisher will likely have lower anti-hard values than the Starhawk V...

Attacks are broken down into 4 types and you can only perform one in a turn. Guns (direct), missiles (indirect or direct), rockets(indirect), or close assault. Like a modern fighter you have to choose what type of attack you want to attempt during a turn.

• Like 3

I see...that's going to severely skew the firepower of several models. Specifically thinking of the Falcon, Sabertooth, and Ogre in one direction, and most aircraft in the other.

Not really. The only thing thats really changed is you cant shoot missiles with your guns. Missiles are basically your old dfm and rockets are your ifm. In most games of cav2 i watched the players used the dfm to get a bonus to a salvo fire attack. There are ways now to get a bonus here or there to replace that. By cycling down the overall weapons you can fire at once, the game goes faster. The easier chance to do more damage in one attack offsets the smaller number of weapons being fired as well.

That makes very little sense to me and was never my experience playing CAV 2. Salvo strike is a trap option--it increases actual damage output basically never. Especially on models with two primary weapons (like 95% of CAVs), salvo strike results in a significant reduction of average damage output, the only benefit being a (very) small chance of a spectacular critical. I stand by my prediction--there will be a very fine line between making the Falcon and Sabertooth, with their four 'gun' attacks, useless or overpowered.

As for the second and third points, I suspect it's a wash after you account for rolling separate sets of 2d6 for each attack, the significantly reduced likelihood of critical hits, and the 50% increase in the number of damage tracks.