Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
I'm not sure that this is right place to post this, but I need to pick the brains of people with more terrain experience than myself. To be honest, that's pretty much everyone on the forum, but there you go!
I've been experimenting with different water effects on bases because I'm planning a somewhat finicky deep pond effect on a particularly awesome mini coming in the Bones 5 Kickstarter. It's been an interesting journey/struggle/experience but this one particular one has flummoxed me because it manifested a full three weeks after the material had set. Here's a couple of pics. It was crystal clear before.
You can see the cloudiness, it appeared overnight on the base. It seems to follow the line of the second layer of the material. Has anyone else had a reaction like this? It was Secret Weapon Water Effects.
So i've got that trio of spiders from nolzur's.
They do not come with sculpted bases - unlike most of the nolzur's line. This isn't a huge issue, except that these suckers have a bunch of tiny spindly legs. I am worried about getting a good hold.
So I have a few questions:
1: how to fasten these guys to a base? Just glue the legs and hope, or pin them through the body like a flightstand?
2: how to sculpt/or assemble, suitable bases to compliment their spindly nature and ensure a better hold.
3: how to attach the spider in a way that I can paint underneath it OR should I find a way to glue it down after both parts are painted?
So the webbed victim shown in the photo above I have decided to leave out as a piece of scatter. There is a stone base (not pictured) that I have already glued to a reaper base for one of the spiders. Each of the spiders has a slightly different pose with their legs - which is made worse by them being bent out of shape. I'm hoping to use this as an advantage though, and pose each spider differently. One is rearing back with front legs up (this one I plan to glue to the supplied rocky base with the abdomen glued to the ground for extra support.
Another spider has one side of legs kind of bent under a bit. I'm thinking this would look good mounted sideways, crawling up the side of a fallen log (not sure if I should try to sculpt this, or find a twig to glue to the base).
The last spider is pretty neutral, but I was thinking of posing it climbing down something just for variety.
Any advice about sculpting the bases vs gluing organic material or mounting something with narrow points of contact would be tremendously helpful. My indecision has lead to two weeks of no painting.
I am not good at telling stories on paper. my mind races far ahead of where the story wants to go and I never get it right so I will let the diorama tell itself. this is an original copy of the Clutch of Fear produced by Ral Partha in the early 1990s. The piece is high lead content. so soft infact that without some strategic pinning the joints fail (or so I have been told).
The basic story is that 2 egg thieves come to relieve a mother dragon of one of her eggs and she comes back early catching them just as they are leaving. The setting on the box seems to be some type of sulfur spring or volcanic hot spring and I get the impression of stillness of morning broken only by the shriek of an enraged mother.
I went pretty classic on this one, going with the red dragon and robin blue eggs like the box art but decided that the spines and chest plates should be more contrast than the slightly darker red of the box. I took the original base pieces included in the box and expanded them to a small diorama of a hotspring using Magic water, a transparent epoxy to create the water around the spring. The resin developed a little bit of a lip at the edge but I wasn't willing to cut it down and risk the clarity of the water by trying to sand and polish the resin. (its more rubbery that solid and difficult to polish -- I tried on two sample pieces and it didn't work out well.)
anyway the WIP is here if your interested: https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94482-a-new-year-a-new-old-dragon/
and here are the images of the final project. Hope everyone has as much fun looking as I did creating this. Feel free to comment and question away as always. The project was a lot of fun and the they got the expression of the egg thief who is looking back to see an enraged mother dragon bearing down on him just about right!
One shot from the human's perspective to give an idea of the trouble they are in....
And one from a mothers perspective as she hones in on the ones who are trying to steal her precious eggs!
After 10 months, I finally dusted this off and finished it in an attempt to find some hobby mojo again. Dragon is from Artisan Guild and was printed on the elegoo Mars almost a year ago.
Basecoated, drybrushed tan and then multiple washes layered before another quick drybrush and a final wash. It was printed in clear green resin and the eyes and crystals on the rock were simply given a layer of Tamiya Clear Green after the mask was removed. Crystals on the base are from Anarchy Models, again with a quick layer of Tamiya Clear green. Reaper base with some Vallejo texture paste.
Thanks for looking.
Who's Online 18 Members, 2 Anonymous, 45 Guests (See full list)