GCB Paints: 77194 C'thulhu

Okay, new project!

Last weekend, I based C'thulhu with FolkArt Multi-Surface Paint (thinned with water and airbrushed), which I've found really sticks well to Bones and MSP sticks to it. I chose Thicket Green for the body and Bark Brown for the base.

post-13048-0-08805300-1415603409_thumb.jpg

I chose to use the Moss Colors Triad as the main colors for the body. I sprayed Jungle Moss for the undercoat, with Highlands Moss sprayed as zenithal highlighting. I then drybrushed the shadows with Highlands Moss, and the highlights with Pale Lichen. Nice...

post-13048-0-66166200-1415603475_thumb.jpg

I haven't really decided what to do with the base yet, but I like the idea making the main colors of the model green and purple, so I started the base with Violet Shadow.

...and that's where I ended for the night.

• Like 12

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Airbrushing this Great Elder One really helps eh?

Yeah. It really speeds up the process, so you can get to the fun parts quickly before the SAN loss sets in.

It helps that the model is mostly one color, though I intend to break that up as much as possible.

Dry-brushing is also faster with a large, stiff-bristled brush. I used a #4 filbert brush with large stiff bristles -- maybe horsehair -- that I bought on for $1.00 on clearance for just this purpose, with a #2 for details. Afterward they hardly looked used, much less abused.

I finished the head this weekend! Here are some close-ups:

post-13048-0-14543500-1416202654_thumb.jpg

post-13048-0-94775700-1416202673_thumb.jpg

post-13048-0-05197900-1416202696_thumb.jpg

This time around, it's all brush painted -- no airbrush involved.

I made the purple for the undersides of tentacles from a mix of Twilight Blue and Blood Red (about 2:1 mix). I wet brushed the undersides of the tentacles and carried it up into the recesses and details of the head. Then thinking it wasn't dark enough, I made a wash of Bloodstained Red and Worn Navy and applied it to the underside again. The suckers were brushed a mixture of Royal Purple and Rainy Gray. I lightened the tentacles top and bottom near the ends.

The horns were painted Violet Shadow, and highlighted by mixing in Stormy Gray (though it's hard to tell).

The eyes were under coated with Marigold Yellow and painted with a wet blend of Moth Green and Neon Yellow, and given black and grey pupils.

The whole thing was sealed with Army Painter Anti-Shine Sealer and the eyes given a shine with Testor's Gloss Cote.

Next up: the body.

• Like 17

post-13048-0-38343300-1416287911_thumb.jpg

Update: I didn't get far on the body today, just the spines on the tail and basing the armor on the hands and feet in Stormy Gray before I got called away. Looking at it after coming back made me realize the grey and green have a too similar tonality. I'll need to darken the scales, probably with a dark purple wash that will continue the green and purple color scheme, while lightening the body with more drybrushing and highlighting with Pale Lichen (and mixed with white, too).

I can tell that in the end, he's going to be very dark...

I can tell when I'm getting into a project by how many bottles of paint have collected on the table. At the start, there are generally only the few I'm currently painting with. But somewhere in the middle, the bottles pile up since I can't be bothered to take time out and put them away -- and I might need those colors again!

• Like 7

that head is really great!  you have now set the bar for the rest at a very high standard.  I read your statement that this is strictly brush work and that is simply amazing.  The fades/transitions between colors are smooth and look like they have been lightly air brushed...so keep it up.. I am definitely keeping an eye on this thread.

• Like 1

Outside of the base coat and zenithal spray, yeah, it's brush painted.  Spraying the tentacles individually would have been difficult without over-spray hitting the rest of the head. I don't have much experience with brush painting blended transitions; I've relied on an airbrush for transitions far too much, and that just won't work well at mini scale.

I found an old splayed brush and dab-dab-dabbed some thinned purple on, and rubbed away any excess with my thumb.  I have no idea why I thought that would work, but it did.  Mixing green and purple into a gray for transitions helped.

One thing I'm not quite happy with is the Army Painter sealer.  It said "anti-shine", but has a satin coat.  It probably has to do with coming out of a rattle-can and covering too thickly.  I may overspray it with Dull-Cote to give it a true matte surface.

• Like 1

Ah, I've been too long in updating this thread. I got hit with some flu after Thanksgiving and then the holidays came up. New year's resolution is to get more painting posted regularly.

That doesn't mean I did nothing. Here's the current state of Cthulhu:

post-13048-0-27246900-1420442720_thumb.jpg

post-13048-0-41469800-1420442768_thumb.jpg

I painted the scaly parts of the arms and legs a mix of Violet Shadow and Dusky Skin, then drybrushed Dusky Skin and a little Vampiric Shadow over it. The spines and claws are all based with Violet Shadow for now.

I also painted the back of the wings the same colors as the main body, but airbrushed a mix of Dusky Skin and Vampiric Shadow on the undersides, followed by a bit of pure Dusky Skin along the wing's bones.

It may look largely done, but looks are deceiving. I am going to extend the purple shadows of the head to the rest of the body, wherever fleshy parts appear, like the neck, armpits and insides of the elbows. I also need to finish the bones on the wings.

My biggest problem is the base. I started the stone as Dark Elf Shadow and drybrushed increasing lighter shades of grey over it -- that part I like. The rest of the base I have no clue what to do with. In desperation I based it Dark Elf Highlight and then drybrushed layers of Dark Elf Shadow and Violet Shadow over it. That produced a "photo negative" effect that's a bit disturbing to look at closely (and which I like), but the colors are too close to the colors on the feet.

Any ideas on what to do with the base?

• Like 8

I didn't get much time this evening to paint. I got in late from work, then my wife and boys wanted do a multi-episode session of "Legend of Korra" (season 3).

I did get time to do one thing that's been bothering me, and that was changing my avatar from the second one my daughter drew for me. I never knew exactly what the old avatar was holding (An airbrush? A rifle?), and she admitted she didn't like it, either. Robots are more her thing. I got her sanction to drop the old avatar, quickly sketched up a few alternatives and inked the one that was the least awful. (I wanted to be an animator as a teenager, but I'm so out of practice now.)

Grumpy Cave Bear,

This is looking awesome.  I'd like to pick your brain for more airbrushing technique.

Chaosscorpion

Let me know whatever questions you have. Understand that I've got no formal training, just years of learning from my screw-ups.

• Like 1

Let me know whatever questions you have. Understand that I've got no formal training, just years of learning from my screw-ups.

That training is usually the best, and where I should start as well.  But sometimes picking someone's brain makes the "flash to bang " connections happen quicker.

I like the new avatar; reminds me of either a Looney Tune, or Walter Lance bear.

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 1