ShadowRaven

Shadowraven paints an angel (and begs for help from all corners)

My dear friends. I am taking upon myself a major undertaking. I am painting a mini up for my mother for Christmas. For that purpose it needs to be my very very best, and to that end, I turn to you, my fellow painters, to lend me all the advice and tips you can to bring out a complete piece worthy of giving away.

This is the figure I have taken on. Sandra Garrity's beautifully sculpted Angel of Mercy.

02095_G.jpg

There is so much incredible detail in the wings, and so many wonderful folds of cloth, It is just a gorgeous piece, and I want to not only do the figure justice, but make it worthy of my mother, My own Angel of Mercy for so many years. 

• Like 16

That exact angel is on my desk right now, my teenaged son started painting it and it's half-done.  My best advice based on his work is to have a light touch on the wings because the feather detail is pretty delicate. 

I'm also reasonably confident that your mother will love the gift.  ^_^

• Like 3

This was among the first ten minis I ever painted. Absolutely beautiful sculpt. I would suggest you take a look at the cloth in Raphael's Transfiguration of Christ for inspiration; the sculpt seems to do the same, in my mind.

I'll also try to direct Nissiana to this thread; her expertise with feathers is much greater than mine.

• Like 4

My dear friends. I am taking upon myself a major undertaking. I am painting a mini up for my mother for Christmas. For that purpose it needs to be my very very best, and to that end, I turn to you, my fellow painters, to lend me all the advice and tips you can to bring out a complete piece worthy of giving away.

There is so much incredible detail in the wings, and so many wonderful folds of cloth, It is just a gorgeous piece, and I want to not only do the figure justice, but make it worthy of my mother, My own Angel of Mercy for so many years. 

I just had to applaud here.    I'm actually doing a similar figure, the Angel of Peace for the same purpose.   

• Like 4

I just had to applaud here.    I'm actually doing a similar figure, the Angel of Peace for the same purpose.   

I sometimes swear you are me. I use that avatar of Statler and Waldorf on a couple other sites, and now this...

Anyway, base coat on her upper robes. I've decided to go with a very classical blue and white theme. For the blue I decided to break out last years Reapercon paint and start with Desert Sky. Such a lovely vivid colour, just a slight bit darker than dragon blue. The under robe I am going to go linen white. Rosy skin for the face and hands. Not sure what to do with the wings or hair yet.

post-8132-0-11106100-1415659711.jpg

• Like 8

When I did the one for my daughter, I did gray fading to white on the wings, then after the varnish I did a drybrush of Pearl White.

• Like 3

You picked a beautiful miniature and I am sure your mother will love the hand painted gift.

I like the blue you selected, and look forward to seeing your progress. I'll offer you what advice I can along the way. But feel free to ignore it of course.

Considering the rosy skin you may consider using a bit of pink in the shadow of the blue. Dsmiles wings with a bit of pearl sound great for a more angelic feel.

Edited by Marsya
  • Like 3

I sometimes swear you are me. I use that avatar of Statler and Waldorf on a couple other sites, and now this...

Anyway, base coat on her upper robes. I've decided to go with a very classical blue and white theme. For the blue I decided to break out last years Reapercon paint and start with Desert Sky. Such a lovely vivid colour, just a slight bit darker than dragon blue. The under robe I am going to go linen white. Rosy skin for the face and hands. Not sure what to do with the wings or hair yet.

Well, we're doing different angels.   So, maybe you're Statler and I'm Waldorf.   There we go!   We both win.

• Like 3