Sign in to follow this  
Sirithiliel

Siri's Uncharted Seas WIP

So i picked up some discount minis this weekend. I've gotten them washed and glued together, and filled the rather large gaps with green stuff. 

The dragon bat gargoyle looking thing came with arms that i'm not going to use. I clipped down the shoulders he had for htem to be more streamlined with his wings

mr. sea serpent will get more added to him once that green stuff dries. I plan to do splashes and water trailing off the upraised flipper

post-12758-0-75756900-1415654156_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-83885600-1415654161_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-82105000-1415654165_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-83362400-1415654174_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-74543400-1415654176_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-64730500-1415654178_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Started base coating the sea serpent. This mini is awesome, I just LOVE the dynamic pose as if he's breaching like a whale. And it's so hard to find a decent looking sea monster mini. Taken with terrible overhead lighting, sorry

post-12758-0-95192700-1415756326_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-99661700-1415756330_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-65270700-1415756334_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-72777100-1415756337_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

that is a really cool sea monster. I like the colours you've picked for him too, and that dragon ship is a beautiful piece as well. The dragon bat gargoyle thing...well, my vote is being withheld at present

• Like 1

that is a really cool sea monster. I like the colours you've picked for him too, and that dragon ship is a beautiful piece as well. The dragon bat gargoyle thing...well, my vote is being withheld at present

yea he's kind of weird. But, he was $2 haha. So i thought why not?

• Like 3

[Looks at the boat, looks at the monsters, looks at the boat again]

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Liking the colour on the sea serpent. He looks tropical.

The grading on the fins look like those of a turtle (a mean one) instead of that of a whale (just as mean).

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 2

[Looks at the boat, looks at the monsters, looks at the boat again]

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

Liking the colour on the sea serpent. He looks tropical.

The grading on the fins look like those of a turtle (a mean one) instead of that of a whale (just as mean).

i was originally going to do whale like shading, but he's so scaley that i decided turtle was the better route =) I plan to add some green to the water where his flipper and body go under, to indicate they continue through the water

frankly i'm not impressed with the google search painted images of him =/

I plan to do it in a Chinese color scheme, yes =)

These are from a series called Uncharted Seas

"Uncharted Seas" was the fantasy naval combat game put out by Spartan Games 4 or 5 years ago. Since then, they have introduced a sci-fi line (Firestorm Universe) and a steam punk line (Dystopian Wars). They have since pretty much discontinued the fantasy line - it did not do nearly as well as the other two have.

I'm not surprised at the gaps you're experiencing. Spartan's early products had a lot of casting issues, especially for their metal products. (Since then they have improved a lot on resin, and more or less stopped making metal stuff.)

Nice work so far, Siri! I agree with you that the sea serpent is in a cool, unique pose.

• Like 3

Here's some progress pics. There's about 3 different blues being used for the water, along with white for the froth

here's what the water looks like if flat painted [i'm doing a lot of free hand]

SGSSMON03N_500.jpeg

post-12758-0-02020200-1415997646_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-68231900-1415997650_thumb.jpg

post-12758-0-19269500-1415997654_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Me too. Has a lot more motion to it. I plan to use more green stuff and some water effects to build up the foam and have some splashing over the submerged flipper

• Like 2

Boy, I see what you mean about the other painted versions. Yours is developing very nicely.

• Like 1

When I search for painted images, about 1/3 of the results I get are Siri's pictures. ::P:

The water free-hand adds a lot of depth to the base. I actually didn't realize how flat the physical model was until you pointed it out.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Crowley
      In Bones 2, Reaper had several large sea monster creatures, one of which, the Goroloth (Reaper’s answer to the Aboleth), came in the Expansion 2 set. This was one of the figures I was least interested in, and figured that if I ever got around to painting it, it would be because I was trying to finish up the set. Primordial evil fish monsters just aren’t my thing.

Of course then my DM decided to introduce one into her game… so… Now I’m painting an aboleth.

My inspiration from the 2e Monster Manual.

After digging it out of my boxes of Bones minis, I did my usual washing in hot soapy water and scrubbing with a toothbrush. Mold lines were minimal, and ignored, but I did notice that the plastic on this guy was much softer than I’m used to. Reminded me a lot of Kaladrax’s head.

Along with assembling, I went to the 5e Monster Manual to check on the size of an Aboleth. Large, aka a 2” base. Far too tiny for this mini, so I upped it to a 3” base. I glued the flying stand to the bigger base, and then covered it with blocks of cork attached with hot glue. I was picturing an underwater ruined palace. Sadly I don’t have a good statue that I could have ruined on the base.

Once the mini was all assembled, I primed it with Blue Liner, and then blocked out the colors with Deep Ocean Blue, Oceanic Blue, and Marine Teal.

The bony bits were painted with bone, as were the stripes on the tentacles, while the gills and suckers on the tentacles were painted with Monster Maw. The many eyes were painted with Heraldic Red. I then gave just about everything a wash with GW’s Leviathan Purple. It seemed appropriate.

Returning to the base I primed it with black craft paint, and then dry brushed it with Mountain Stone, with more and more linen white added to it. I then applied dots of Jade Green to look like sea moss growing on it.

I still need to bring the highlights back up, but this is where he's at now:

Gonna call that ready for game! 
    • By Pingo
      My birthday is imminent (precioussss), and my husband gave me this resin ship model from German manufacturer Gelaendestuecke.

I've never done anything like this before: Never worked with resin, never made a ship model, never tried to figure out rigging and sails (they aren't included in the model and even the masts are just dowels at the moment).

So ... Woohoo, I have no idea what I'm doing. But I figure it'll be fun figuring it out.

Here's the box

And the instructions in their entirety

The hull and the deck

The wooden bits, the mast, bowsprit, and railings

The cabin has a few issues. Note the little spot the arrow points to. That becomes relevant later.

It also has a big missing spot from a bubble in the back

And a crack and missing piece on one side

Okay, so here's how I've begun it.

First I scrubbed the resin pieces with a toothbrush in very hot water and dish liquid. There was a nasty waxy substance under the hull which I assume is mold release.

Once cleaned, the bottoms of the pieces were really shiny, which seemed like it would cause a problem with the epoxy adhering.

But sanding resin is problematic. Its dust is very fine and lightweight and highly toxic. Bad stuff to breathe.

So I sanded them underwater, with a few drops of dish liquid add to break the surface tension so the dust wouldn't float on the water. Resin really wants to float.

Sanding on the cabin exposed a greasy, waxy white substance where that little splodge was, something like a white oil pastel, and kind of gross.

Scraping it out exposed more of it within the resin and lost a few flakes of the surface. It can be seen, rather big in this picture of the ship as it is at present.

And here's a side view.

• By Smokestack
      I started putting together one of the ships I got from Renaissance games pirate kickstarter. I ended up with 7 ships, and this is the 2nd one I have assembled. Well started to assemble. It's been over 2 years so figured I would give it a go. 

Rensissance games is sadly no more. This is s great kit. It was $190.00 during the kickstarter. 

It it comes with 24 cannons. I think I will paint the cannons bronze.

this is about 5 hours into it. 

• By ub3r_n3rd
      Time for the final pics to be posted here (those that I can anyhow). This is Queen Shaernagathu - I came up with this name as it's the 3 parts of the figure that I kit-bashed together to form this figure. The body of Queen Shaerileth, a tentacle from the well of doom and the snake bottom half from I don't know which snake or creature or even if it was a reaper figure, I found all 3 parts in the melt bin during ReaperCon 2016.

I was going to hold off posting and enter her into the 2017 Massive Voodoo water base challenge, but it was pointed out to met that she doesn't qualify due to a full figure being in the scene, the challenge is for the base to be the star with possibly a couple small plants/animals, but no full figures.

Anyhow, it was a super fun project and very challenging. I did a lot of new things with it and learned a lot during the process. I had great feedback from others on the forum as well.

WIP can be found here: 

Without further ado, here are the pics that I can show and links to the NSFW pics I can't show on the forum. I know they will expire at some point, but at least I can upload a few here.

NWFW Links
      Pic 1
      Pic 2
      Pic 3
      Pic 4

Thanks for looking and of course C&C are welcomed and greatly appreciated!
    • By Nightwing
      This is the Sea Ghost from AD&D module U1: the sinister secret of saltmarsh. It will hopefully be used in my group's upcoming D&D pirates campaign set in 1600's Jamaica. 

Its layers will be separable, with each surface being a sort of game board for each deck of the ship, from forecastle/poop, to main deck, to cargo deck, to bilge. I'm going to try to pin the layers together so they don't just fall apart by using the mast and rudder to keep the layers aligned when they are stacked. 

It is made of 3/4" polystyrene insulation sheets, cut, stacked, and sanded down with a belt sander. In the end it will have paint and probably balsa wood details. 

That's the Barnabas Frost mini that I posted in the show-off forum standing on the deck in a few of the photos. 

• Who's Online   43 Members, 5 Anonymous, 108 Guests (See full list)