Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

Showdown at McFiggin's Tavern - The WIP

Even though I didn't post pictures on the forum ahead of time, I still had WIP pics throughout the build process for the Fall Exchange Project that I entitled "Showdown at McFiggin's Tavern".

Show-off thread is located here.

This is pretty picture intensive, so I'll break it up a bit with the first couple of posts.

Starting out, I'll show you all what I did with the tavern/base, then the orc and then finally the dwarf.

I followed this tutorial on how to do the bricks/cobblestones. They were super-glued down in place, I added very fine sand to between the cobblestones and then covered the whole thing with a few coats of reaper brush-on sealer to seal it all down.

post-7987-0-41631200-1415900925_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-97703000-1415900928_thumb.jpg

The door was kindly provided by Bonwirn, this is a Hirst Arts piece, it's actually a wardrobe, but I liked it for the door. The wood around the door is very light weight balsa wood. I measured it out and cut it with a sharp hobby knife. 

post-7987-0-76489000-1415900930_thumb.jpg

The "McFiggins" sign was from the Oathsworn Dwarves kickstarter, I just got the bases and the scenery pieces. 

post-7987-0-66493500-1415900932_thumb.jpg

After I had the balsa all glued together and the door placed in, I filled the gap around the door with wood filler. I then cut plasticard to size to make it smooth and put "resin sand" from liquitex over the front to give it the stucco look.

post-7987-0-84596800-1415900934_thumb.jpg

The top was another thin piece of plasticard, I took out a bunch of popsicle sticks and cut their ends off to size and super-glued them down in layers. The sides of the roof are also popsicle sticks that I cut to angles.

post-7987-0-38051000-1415900936_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-52180900-1415900938_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-39965400-1415900940_thumb.jpg

Here's the base with more detail, just used some secret weapon washes mostly 'baby poop' and 'sewer water' in the crevices, and used stone grey and rainy grey RMSP paints with some rainy grey/ghost white mixture for highlights. 

post-7987-0-13629300-1415900942_thumb.jpg

More details added here.

post-7987-0-89359600-1415900943_thumb.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 7

More details continued to be added, including the tankard with the spilled brew. I started off with this light brown brew, but added more color to it eventually and some foam.

post-7987-0-16931100-1415901608_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-42628500-1415901612_thumb.jpg

Here, I got some feedback from a few non-exchange friends and they all said the same thing about these flowers, they were too bright, they were too 2D.post-7987-0-27271200-1415901614_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-22248600-1415901616_thumb.jpg

You can see that I changed the flowers out here along with adding more green to the piece. The flowers were graciously given to me by dontfear as he had plenty of extras and I didn't have any. The brew is realistic water mixed with sewer water to get that dark color, I used some poster tack around where I wanted the brew to form up so it wouldn't spill everywhere on the base. The foam is water effects mixed with some light brown paint and I tapped it all over the place with a toothpick to get a good looking foam.

post-7987-0-50372400-1415901618_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-73020500-1415901620_thumb.jpg

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 9

Last but not least are the pics of the orc and the dwarf, there aren't as many of the WIP pics here as I got into a pretty good groove with both of them and kicked them out rather quickly.

Orc starting out -

post-7987-0-28732000-1415902115_thumb.jpg

Dwarf starting out-

post-7987-0-52653400-1415902118_thumb.jpg

Orc WIP -

post-7987-0-84886700-1415902119_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-28651100-1415902121_thumb.jpg

Orc pretty much finished -

post-7987-0-48698800-1415902122_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-97956400-1415902123_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-80751300-1415902125_thumb.jpg

Dwarf WIP - I was REALLY happy with the red hair that I got on his beard. Now if I can remember how to duplicate it next time I'll be happier. I used a base muddy brown RMSP, then tried out some Vallejo Air "Gory Red" over it, and mixed in some RMSP auburn shadow to lighten, and then some highlight orange as the final highlights. There were some mixings and blendings of the colors to get it to look like this, but these were the colors I used.

post-7987-0-50298400-1415902127_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-56398200-1415902128_thumb.jpg

Dwarf pretty much finished -

post-7987-0-59335400-1415902129_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-10939200-1415902249_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C welcomed and appreciated!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 11

Ub3r this really came together nicely, and that link to the bricks is awesome! Your hard work really paid off, and again, I thank you :)

• Like 2

Ub3r this really came together nicely, and that link to the bricks is awesome! Your hard work really paid off, and again, I thank you :)

Thank you for the compliments Kharsin, I'm so happy you like the piece and are displaying it in your cabinet - very honored that you are doing so.

No problem about the bricks tutorial, I like to share the knowledge to make us all better and spur more ideas for everyone.  ^_^

• Like 1

You base looks even more fantastic with these pictures showing more detail. I love it and it looks wonderful.

I especially like your stone work and roof, after you mentioned Popsicle sticks I was like yeah I see that but before I had no idea.

As said before love the red hair. Is there more red hair in your future? If so try pushing tiny high spots to blonde, I just started this myself as at first I felt the carrot top orange was almost too bright but after pushing the contrast I found it really pops and makes the red look so much more realistic and multi faceted.

• Like 3

You base looks even more fantastic with these pictures showing more detail. I love it and it looks wonderful.

I especially like your stone work and roof, after you mentioned Popsicle sticks I was like yeah I see that but before I had no idea.

As said before love the red hair. Is there more red hair in your future? If so try pushing tiny high spots to blonde, I just started this myself as at first I felt the carrot top orange was almost too bright but after pushing the contrast I found it really pops and makes the red look so much more realistic and multi faceted.

Thank you!

Definitely more red hair in the future for my figures. I'll heed your advice for the tiny spots of blonde the next time as well, always looking to improve and appreciate any/all advice about doing so.  ::D:

• Like 2

I second Marsya's advice from my own experience in doing red hair.

That and I think your dwarf came out much better than my version of the same figure.  I definitely reread this thread to pick up some pointers on an idea I got kicking for a future project.

Edited by Silvervane
  • Like 2

I second Marsya's advice from my own experience in doing red hair.

That and I think your dwarf came out much better than my version of the same figure.  I definitely reread this thread to pick up some pointers on an idea I got kicking for a future project.

Thanks Silver :)

Very happy that my piece could help you with your future project, if you need any help or have questions, please feel free to ask any time.

• Like 1