CashWiley

In anticipation of the new rules edition coming out, as well as the rpg next year, let's get an Infinity thread going. This thread will be for gameplay/news/chatter on that kind of topic. For painting/conversion/etc kind of discussion, please head over to the Infinity WIP thread in the appropriate subforum (and remember to post finished work in individual Show Off threads).

To continue the discussion on the Operation Icestorm starter box...

I dig the story and look of the Nomads, but looking over the box set rosters it seems to favor PanO to my newb eye. Things like the Orc getting 1 more BS than the Mobile Brigada, which in turn gets an extra WIP. Since I'm a newb to the rules, I'm not sure how that balances or where they've put in the balances across the rosters. But it seems that for the scope of the box missions it favors PanO in several places. Thoughts?

I'm hoping my gaming buddy digs the rules/aesthetic as he used to run Eldar in WH40k in the 90s. We'll probably run the starter missions to get used to the rules with some proxies until I can get painting the forces up (which will surely be another test of balancing speed against my seeming inability to paint to tabletop!).

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PanO are the perfect people everyone hates.

I've heard that the Akali with combat jump and a HMG isn't going to be available in N3.  I'm sort of glad about that.  I ran with one in a PanO/Ariadna skirmish and did very evil things with it.  I dropped in behind the Ariadnas (Ariadnai?) outside of LoS and ZoC, ran up to cover behind his lieutenant and just started chewing.  It went downhill from there for them.

They're removing HMG from a lot of figures as they're changing how many of the weapons play to give them very distinct roles.  Here's the official list of "these things are no longer in the game"

280204-0013 Akalis, Sikh Commandos (combi rifle, HMG).
280302-0009 Invincible (HMG).
280306-0022 Invincible (Multi Rifle).
280304-0016 Tiger Soldiers (combi rifle, HMG).
280411-0057 Hassassin Ragiks (HMG, Rifle).
280616-0125 Caskuda (TAG).
280607-0085 Iskaller Jump Operator (Combi Rifle, Light Shotgun).
280618-0136 Void Operators (HMG).
280615-0123 Vector Operator (HMG)
280626-0187 Vector Operator (Hacker).

The rest of those things, from the CA, are being removed as they didn't sell well.

I've noticed that in my plays from the starter that things can go really bad, really quickly, from one set of biffed roles or bad tactics.  I'm hoping larger point games (haven't gotten to play the full starter size teams yet either) have more forgiveness.

Edited by MonkeySloth

Yeah, from someone who has never played but read a lot on it:

- HMGs ruled the table, but now will only be as deadly from afar, so taking them on a troop which can "jump" close to the enemy loses a lot of potential.

- Everybody hates PanO. If you want to be that kind of guy, be... but they are like the Space Marines of 40k  :rock: They get an incredible TAG that can use TO Camo  :wacko:

- The rosters are very balanced among the factions. The saying in the Infinity forums is "it's not the list, it is you". And every unit can kill any other unit, that is part of the charm. I would say that every faction can pull most tricks, and counter them... some of them just do it easier. PanO have higher BS (but in general, an extra dice in shooting is better than 1 extra BS), Nomads have the best Hackers, Haqq have very nice stealth and infiltration units, YuJing have amazing Heavy Infantry, ALEPH are very tough to put down thanks to a rule that keep them going through the Unconscious state... but we all get cool stuff.

All the above seems unlike to change in 3rd Edition (N3). I seriously want to play a game!

• Like 1

The Akali with the combi rifle is still going to be in the game -- he's in the Operation Icestorm box.  However, he's bundled with the HMG one and that is the bundle that's getting removed.

I don't have much experience versus Ariadna, but it seems alot of those models can take a hit as well.  It might just be my opponent was rollling well, but it took much more than I'd expected.  They might be generally a lower tech army, but they're pretty decent armor.

Ariadna are the faction that's the most different from the rest as they're high camo, low tech (and in N3 most of their units could no be hacked) fighters.  They have a lot of units with high HP as they don't have high armor or TAGS.  The Dog Warriors above have 3 each.

Sectorials are what most people think of when they think factions as those are very limited, focused groups that have only a few play styles--that's how I'm focusing at first for the game and will build out from there.

Having played O:IS though I'm disappointed Corvius Bell is taking so long to get rules out.  I know O:IS sold 3x what they planned it to sell in it's lifetime just in initial orders but there's not a lot of replay ability in it due to the limit of units and rules.  They really should have given icestorm stats (as I've heard the stats in the rule book aren't the final N3 ones) for all the starters as I'm sitting on two that I can't do anything with until maybe next year.

Cool. I picked up a Nomads starter box a couple of years ago, and never did anything with them until a couple months ago I started painting them. Maybe I'll post something in the WiP thread.

I have a friend local that has been collecting PanO, so we may have a game someday (althouth this is the guy that gets enthusiastic about a game/period, buys a bunch of stuff then drifts away for a while, or does a non-standard scale for a popular game in Historicals).

Damon.

So I went ahead and pinged Corvis Bell via their webpage about using other starters in Ice Storm and getting the stats to do so.  I really hope they respond as I probably can only play it a few more times with the figures as is.

Keep us posted but I think they will not give you stats. Current ones are mostly usable for N3, or should. Book with updated profiles will be available December 15th if you preorder. I say wait a liiiitle longer.

Edited by Willen
  • Like 1

I do not have the Op:IS box so I do not know what the story line is or if they changed anything from 2nd ed, of which I have played a ton so my comments and answers will be from that.

As Willen stated, while the factions are very well balanced they each do have a slight strength in one area, I am sure that this will continue through to N3.

I really hope some of the rules for terrain get some clearing up as they can sometimes be a little less than straight forward, especially the low vis area terrain bits.

I am not a fan of the discontinued mini list as I have all the bugs and the pan-o stuff on there.

I am glad that the game is finally getting a good solid footing and is gaining in popularity.

Now if we could just get Willen to get a game in.   :;):

Amen.

Got my wife into talking color schemes for her ALEPH, so that is a step forward. And I will convince my 10yo to play a couple intro games with me.

Chaoshead, you are the expert here. How can I string a series of small (or growing in points) games in a storytelling fashion? That would interest my wife more.

Kinda like: 

100p - Nomad outpost is hiding a stolen ALEPH secuencer with the failed attempts to duplicate Ajax. ALEPH forces dispatched to retrieve.

-- Nomad win: On the run, the Nomads need to reach a transport before being overrun by the AI forces.

-- ALEPH win: It was all a Bakunin plot to divert ALEPH forces from the Nomad's primary goal: the raiding of more lucrative data caches in ALEPH territory.

... and keep branching it out as needed, like 3-4 missions total.

I have zero knowledge on how to replicate this :(

So I went ahead and pinged Corvis Bell via their webpage about using other starters in Ice Storm and getting the stats to do so.  I really hope they respond as I probably can only play it a few more times with the figures as is.

Keep us posted but I think they will not give you stats. Current ones are mostly usable for N3, or should. Book with updated profiles will be available December 15th if you preorder. I say wait a liiiitle longer.

Not sure about that as the talk on the official forums is none of the profiles from Pradisio or Human Sphere will be updated until sometime next year so my sectorials will not be playable for a possible 12 months.

Wyrd still hasn't updated all their units to their second edition and it's been well over a year.

Edited by MonkeySloth

@Willen  --  Well, I do not know your family or what interests them so I can only offer minimal assistance here, you know what would peek their interest better than I sir.

What if the sequencer in question was a person or a post human with the knowledge embedded in their cube?

A simple snatch and grab mission is a good way to get a small campaign started.  The sequencer can start roughly in the center of the table and both have the same objective, grab the sequencer and escape/control it at the end of the game.

Maybe follow it up with a mission to get the sequencer into a shuttle and launch it to a safe zone. The other player has to stop this and take control of the sequencer/get the sequencer off the table.

Follow that up with a rescue attempt on a space station or moon using some tight corridor and room terrain.  This one works no matter who has the sequencer at this point.

@MonkeySloth  --  I hope it doesn't take them a year to get all the stats updated, that would anger a lot of players.  It did take them quite a while to get the army builder upgraded the last time though.

Thanks for the ideas chaoshead! I need to check ITS missions or something to see thr mission format...

MS, word in the Spanish forums is that profiles will be updated by PDF around January, when they put the rules for free online. The new Army would be ready soon afterwards, we have seen screenshots already.

It makes no sense not to update HS and CP troops, they are used 100% of the time. I sincerely hope they don't do that or the uproar would be devastating.