Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

77060: Dragonman Warrior (Dragonborn Paladin)

Here's the final pictures of my speed paint for the Dragonborn Paladin.

He could be much better, but I really wanted to just speed-paint him and get him to table top quality without spending too much time on him. Anyhow, C&C welcomed and appreciated!

Reaper SKU: 77060 - Dragonman Warrior

Material: Bones

WIP Thread

post-7987-0-77198600-1416456692_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-32932000-1416456694_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-35245300-1416456699_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-87609200-1416456700_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-40106400-1416456702_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

How long did it take to speed paint ?

Counting the weapon conversion and the shield (which I changed), I'd say 6-7 hours total. My goal is to get down to 3-4 hours for a table top piece and call it done.

I find myself spending about 10-12 hours on a tabletop+ piece and 15+ on low display level nowadays.

• Like 3

Counting the weapon conversion and the shield (which I changed), I'd say 6-7 hours total. My goal is to get down to 3-4 hours for a table top piece and call it done.

I find myself spending about 10-12 hours on a tabletop+ piece and 15+ on low display level nowadays.

3-4 for tabletop is doable. 5 is more reasonable.

Who's got two thumbs and is living proof?

This guy.

• Like 2

3-4 for tabletop is doable. 5 is more reasonable.

Who's got two thumbs and is living proof?

This guy.

Yeah, I'd love to do what you do for table-top really. Your tabletop is very nice and you do it so quickly.

• Like 1

I honestly spend no more than 5-6 hours on any one figure, unless it's GINORMOUS (Galleon) or I'm trying to enter it into a contest (Master Series Dark Maiden). To be honest, though, even 6 hours is kind of a long time for me. But I also work on 3-5 minis at a time, so that's why it seems like I paint so fast. I post 3 or 4 minis in one day, then nothing for a few days. Then 3 or 4 minis...wash, rinse, repeat.

I also take a lot of shortcuts.

• Like 2

I honestly spend no more than 5-6 hours on any one figure, unless it's GINORMOUS (Galleon) or I'm trying to enter it into a contest (Master Series Dark Maiden). To be honest, though, even 6 hours is kind of a long time for me. But I also work on 3-5 minis at a time, so that's why it seems like I paint so fast. I post 3 or 4 minis in one day, then nothing for a few days. Then 3 or 4 minis...wash, rinse, repeat.

I also take a lot of shortcuts.

What are these shortcuts you speak of?

Dave's Shortcuts:

• I use a lot of washes: Payne's Grey (gives a nice natural blue-gray shadow instead of a stark black shadow) and the GW washes Reikland Flesh Shade and Argax Earthshade specifically.
  • Skintones are usually: base, wash, base, base-highlight, highlight. Actually, most of my painting goes like that. 
  • If I'm not using a wash, I paint from shade to highlight (shade, shade-base, base, base-highlight, highlight).
  • Textured surfaces (fur, wood, stone, etc) get drybrushed. Not only is it faster, but it helps to bring out the texture.
  • Instead of concentrating on holding my hand steady (bad idea for shaky hands guy), I use tiny brushes and a magnifier for everything. The largest brush in my inventory right now is a Reaper Kolinsky 1 (followed by a 0, 5/0, 10/0, 18/0, and 30/0).

BTW, your paladin's armor is very shiny.

• Like 3

The skin looks real good Uber. Considering the quality of the material on these human sized minis, this turned out real nice for the time spent on him

• Like 1

Didja give his armour a hit with Army Painter Ink, Dark Tone? That would finish him off nicely. Washes are essential to speed painting, they also tidy up the edges so you don't need to be as neat, and fill in gaps so you don't need to be as thorough.

• Like 1

Let me try this again... mobile posting throws me off. Lol! Anyway, he looks great! I do agree about the armor being a bit shiny, although it's probably because I'm comparing it to what I have on hand (awesomeness! Still love that diorama) I don't think I've ever timed myself painting. I think even if I'd ever go nuts and paint an army, it'd just take forever! Lol!

• Like 1

Really excellent. I like the colors you gave this guy, and as a conversion junkie (I think Kuro and I should start a guild) I approve of this.

For a tabletop job this is well done, and will certainly get the job done. If you wanted to invest another few minutes in him I might recommned a dark wash, and hten hit the highlights again really fast, but otherwise I say get this guy on the board, and do some righteous damage in the name of Bahamut.

Edit. I was looking more closely at this guy, and I can see transitions in the armor after a bit. I think the photos may be washing out some of the shading.

• Like 1